Another Bear attack... aother bear thread

A hell of a thing. Two maulings and he's not dead. He is beyond the odds.
He is the odds.

munk

Munk, don't you normally pack a large-caliber revolver in big animal country?

Seems like that might have helped these two.

Nam

Always pack large diameter bullets with a gun holding them.

It can be a hassle. And you begin to think you're crazy for even doing it, carrying it, thinking about it.

munk

Seems like that might have helped these two.

This was one guy attacked twice, on two different ocassions.

Another reason why you should never wear a Purina Bear Chow t-shirt while in bear country.

n2s

munk said:

It can be a hassle. And you begin to think you're crazy for even doing it, carrying it, thinking about it.

munk
Munk,
Being prepared for every eventuality, everytime, all the time, is a pretty tuff agenda to contemplate. Personally, I like bears just fine, from a distance. My brother is an active out doors doooer and he gets around the bush, fishing and hunting. For several years he was well prepared and he carried a .44 magnum, "just in case bear gun" with him..... with bullets loaded in the pistol! Of course!

He said, he got tired of carrying the heavy .44 magnum pistol with him all the time. FIRST, He never saw any bear and if he did ever see one close, he planned to run as fast as he could, anyway. Shooting the bear was not his idea of a good time.

Back at the ranch... we return to those days of yesteryear and ....... He sold the pistol! Short answer to a long story! The moral of this story is that .44 magnum pistols get heavy after a long hike or get wet during a short swim..... or something pretty close.... like that.
Go figure!

iBear

munk said:

munk
I think a .44 magnum is a fairly large diameter, if we are talking diameter. Of course my .50 caliber pistol is king, YEAH, I would whip out my .50 caliber scary harry master blaster 19 shot magnum pistol.... with one in the chamber makes 20 and blast that ol' bear right where it hurts! Ahhhh, sure I would!
Not likely,

iBear

I tend to lug around a 12 gauge shotty when I sense I could be at risk. It's a PITA though, what with clipboard, compass, rock hammer etc. Sometimes I think a 5" .44 revolver would be adequate if I got permission to lug it around instead.

philthygeezer said:
I tend to lug around a 12 gauge shotty when I sense I could be at risk. It's a PITA though, what with clipboard, compass, rock hammer etc. Sometimes I think a 5" .44 revolver would be adequate if I got permission to lug it around instead.

It is sad that we have to ask permission to carry a firearm. What is this world coming to?

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785. ME 5:85, Papers 8:407

With your fishing pole, 8 gallon water bottle, back pack, trusty toilet latreeeen with the flip up - fold down pre heated seat, lunch pail, bottle of bear scent, handy dandy razor sharp custom Khukuri and your double action triple traction diamond backed rattle snake motorcycle racing boots.... you should have plenty of room for both the shotgun and the .44 magnum.

Of course, all this may become more of a problem, after you get out of your vehicle.

But, HELL, enjoy the outdoors from inside your car..... I always say! Safety first!
Thanks,

iBear

I feel sorry for this guy, but in a state where you're allowed to carry, that has a significant bear population... I'd carry.
It also reminds me of that bear joke, where he tells the abused hunter, "You don't really come here for the hunting, do you?"

Mr.BadExample said:
I feel sorry for this guy, but in a state where you're allowed to carry, that has a significant bear population... I'd carry.
It also reminds me of that bear joke, where he tells the abused hunter, "You don't really come here for the hunting, do you?"
Funny.

Carrying is fine, if your inclined. I never have, but could be convinced.
Thanks,

iBear

Here's a thought: a .44 mag will stop a bear. Or a .50 Desert Eagle, or .45-70 TC.

But what you WANT is for the bear to STOP ATTACKING you. You aren't hunting bears, and have no use for a large dead bear.

If hitting the bear with a stick makes one desist, like in the article, then ANY gun fired at it might work. A .38 revolver, easily carried, is not a "bear gun". But it is a small noise-making device that COULD break a bear's jaw, or scare it away. Maybe get lucky and crack its skull.

I dunno. But if a bear was chomping on my arm, I'd rather shoot it point blank with what I had on me than wishing for a proper "bear gun".

Ad Astra :eek: :(

I've heard good stuff about the spray, too. Still, a stub-nose 44 mag couldn't hurt as a backup. Those titanium ones are pretty light now.

My $.02

Nam

I think AA's has the right idea. The .38 or maybe a .357 mag snubbie would be a better gun for scaring off a bear just for the simple fact it is easier to carry. Good sized pop that would at least hurt the bear enough to thinking twice. I know that once I get caught up and can actually take some time to get myself lost in the wilderness again I'll probably pick up some kind of critter gun. Most of the places I would choose to hike through will be more apt to have cougars than bears. Maybe black bears. Any wild animal is dangerous, but I'd rather take on a charging black bear than a Kodiak.
I dunno, i guess the best wild animal defense is to just keep your eyes and ears open. Trust your instincts and know the kind of animals that you could encounter. I know I would hate to be tailed by a mountain lion just as much as I would hate to stumble upon a bear.
Poor guy. mauled twice? dang.

Jake

Of course in Hawaii there is the (albeit slim) chance of running into a wild boar that could open you up real nice. Or a hunting dog that has gone wild and is hungry....or some guys that are really protective of their agriculture projects ;) :D

The Department of Fish and game advise people entering bear country to wear noise-producing devices such as little bells on their clothing to alert, but not startle the bears unexpectedly. They also advise the carrying of pepper spray in case of an encounter with an bear. It is also a good idea to watch for fresh signs of bear activity.

People should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzley bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain fish bones and berries. Grizzley Bear droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray.

Sorry, could not resist. :D

Back