Another Bear attack... aother bear thread

I've seen mounted grizzlies up close and real ones at a distance through binoculars. They are BIG. I figure running into a pissed off one, would be like being in the old cartoon where a guy is walking down the street, and a big safe is falling, about to hit him on the head. I think the .22 Mag AA Mini revolver would be very sufficient to end the scenario quickly -- not for the bear :mad: :eek: :D

Thanks for all the fun read guys :D My main concern and fear while camping, is the 2 legged predator. That's why I carry the 4" Ruger Security Six .357 when camping. Hey, BTW... What would you gunnie folks recommend I keep in it for this purpose? :confused: Presently, using .38 Spc. +P Hydra-shocks.

Bri in Chi said:
I've seen mounted grizzlies up close and real ones at a distance through binoculars. They are BIG. I figure running into a pissed off one, would be like being in the old cartoon where a guy is walking down the street, and a big safe is falling, about to hit him on the head. I think the .22 Mag AA Mini revolver would be very sufficient to end the scenario quickly -- not for the bear :mad: :eek: :D

Thanks for all the fun read guys :D My main concern and fear while camping, is the 2 legged predator. That's why I carry the 4" Ruger Security Six .357 when camping. Hey, BTW... What would you gunnie folks recommend I keep in it for this purpose? :confused: Presently, using .38 Spc. +P Hydra-shocks.
YES, you have that about right. When one is running straight at you at 30 to 40 miles an hour..... at that instant, ALL bets are off! Better have the .44 magnum ready at that point, but first, run like HELL! In either case you may be duck soup anyway. When the bear gets close and raises up on its two hind legs to scare you, you have a much larger target and a much better chance to make your shot count. That is obvious!
Thanks,

iBear

The bear won't go on two legs to fight, Ibear; he'll take you head down and running hard. They stand for a bluff or demonstration.

munk

Bri in Chi;

The 38 hydroshocks will certainly allow you controlled shooting, but I'd go for a Federal 357 load.

I like Federal, btw.

munk

munk said:
The bear won't go on two legs to fight, Ibear; he'll take you head down and running hard. They stand for a bluff or demonstration.

munk
Yes, I know, running straight at you, but if your lucky, the bear may try to show bravado and then you have a bigger target, I think.

Tough call.

iBear

I agree with Munk...A charge will come straight on...a standing shot? I would guess if you shoot Old Fuzzy Britches whilst he's just standing there looking at you...the game warden might frown...the way a district attorney would if you shoot a guy for looking at you funny.

Not sure if a old Grand Dad knows what "bravado" means...come to think of it in this context, not sure I do either...

Who said it first? Use enough gun.

Elmer Keith said something like...shoot the biggest gun you can shoot well.

IMHO...don't try modern frangibles if you expect an Ursine threat. Maybe for a moutain lion. Selecting the right load for your intent becomes a bigger choices than caliber sometimes. But then you guys already know that.

Shane

That is a bad program. They had a lion klling a tiger. Yeah, right. The lion was more used to fighting, (because he lived in a pride and had to fight off challengers) and they did not take into account the back leg strength of the Tiger- who can lift cattle over a fence.

The suppositions are only as good as their experts.

munk

I am not about to test this out but I have heard that the 454 Casull would have
a pretty good effect on a bear. That assumes of course you could control it (and yourself) to get a hit. I also remember reading many moons ago about a Alaskan guide who devised a guide gun that was a short barreld 45/70 in lever action. He claimed it worked on Kodiak. I'll try and dig up some info on it, this thread jarred some long dormat brain cells.

mross said:
I am not about to test this out but I have heard that the 454 Casull would have
a pretty good effect on a bear. That assumes of course you could control it (and yourself) to get a hit. I also remember reading many moons ago about a Alaskan guide who devised a guide gun that was a short barreld 45/70 in lever action. He claimed it worked on Kodiak. I'll try and dig up some info on it, this thread jarred some long dormat brain cells.

The gun your referring to was the "Co-Pilot" being built by Wild West Guns in Anchorage. It was basically identical to the current Marlin Guide gun,(which I believe was created due to the success of the co-pilot) except they made a takedown screw for it to be stuffed in the back of airplanes and such. They were going for around $1,500 each, and selling pretty well for awhile.

I shot one a year and a half or so ago. It was definitely a stout SOB. Still think I'd rather save my pennies for a 375 bolt action though.

If you REALLY think a big animal is going to get you, I recommend a combination of tools.
A long spear with a crossbar under the head. At least 7 feet long.
(The crossbar keeps him from sliding down the shaft to you)

And a Desert Eagle loaded with depleted uranium shells....
]
Dont forget your chain mail underwear...

DannyinJapan said:
If you REALLY think a big animal is going to get you, I recommend a combination of tools.
A long spear with a crossbar under the head. At least 7 feet long.
(The crossbar keeps him from sliding down the shaft to you)

And a Desert Eagle loaded with depleted uranium shells....
]
Dont forget your chain mail underwear...

Id opt for something belt fed, and with High Explosive rounds.

After considering bear, humans seem easy to kill dont they?

That STOOPID show...animal vs animal....did you see the one...with the walrus vs the white cousin? and the walrus won? WTF?
Shane

Runs With Scissors said:
The gun your referring to was the "Co-Pilot" being built by Wild West Guns in Anchorage. It was basically identical to the current Marlin Guide gun,(which I believe was created due to the success of the co-pilot) except they made a takedown screw for it to be stuffed in the back of airplanes and such. They were going for around $1,500 each, and selling pretty well for awhile.

I shot one a year and a half or so ago. It was definitely a stout SOB. Still think I'd rather save my pennies for a 375 bolt action though.

Dayum, this list is good. Yep that's the one. I always wanted one but the price was way to steep, of course the Freedom Arms 454 Casull was listed at $2000.00 which is steeper still, but, I heard you can get them second hand, only fired once. :D They apperently have a bit of a kick. :)

All kinds of smaller birds can harass larger birds of prey in some circumstances. Crows, Jays, Mockingbirds all will chase hawks away from the nest.

Eagles pick up rattlesnakes. Now, that's interesting.

munk

I've seen Bald Eagles attacked pretty viciously by Seagulls. Absolutely hated seeing it. About half a dozen Seagulls tearing up one Bald Eagle in the air. Now I have a much more mellow attitude about seeing that kinda thing. I guess seeing a National Symbol lined up on the river bank waiting for some foriegn tourist to throw out some fish guts tends to impact ones perceptions that way, Although it does appeal highly to my sense of irony.

Back