Another "Hi Newbie here" thread!

Hi all,

Been lurking for some time and scheming and planning my first knife. Have read and continue to peruse the stickies and various threads and made sure to fill out my profile.
So where am I at in terms of this adventure?? I have a blank made out of wood (paint stirrer), got a piece of 1084 steel from Aldo (great guy and fun to talk to on the phone). Luckily, when I decided to start making knives I was able to find a couple local to me who do this type of work. I was able to visit their shop and get some great tips and encouragement. They also loaned me two books to help get started, "How to Make Knives" by Barney and Loveless and "Blade's Guide to Making Knives" Joe Kertzman. Thanks to Vince and Grace Evans for being so open to a newbie!!!
In terms of equipment I have one Mill Bastard file, two clamps, hacksaw, and lots of enthusiasm haha. Hopefully I can get the early pictures posted. Please don't hesitate to critique, suggest, or point and laugh as I begin this undertaking.

Aloha,
Klay

Picture link from my Google Plus account (hopefully) https://plus.google.com/photos/118364099054315512999/albums/5790055914361138097

Put the file down and step away from the steel:D
Prepare to be significantly poorer,hunched over in a corner with a magnavisor on chasin stray scratches,till the neighbors and you kids start talking about you.Run while you still can.:D
Welcome to our addiction and that's a nice looking pattern.

Stan

Back