Another lockup thread, looking for opinions

Hey y'all, longtime lurker, first time poster here on the Emerson subforum.

I got my first real Emerson about a week ago and I've been using it as my EDC most days while I'm working from home during quarantine. I've heard all about the lock stick some Emerson knives have, and that doesn't really bother me too much, but mine has what I would consider extremely late lockup. As in, the lockbar touches the opposite side scale when rolling the knife open quickly with the thumb disc (not waving or flicking open). If I open it very slowly, I can get normal lockup, but when applying decent pressure to the blade (push cutting thru sturdy-ish material), the lockbar pops over to the opposite side scale.

I uploaded a video of what I'm talking about here (not sure if the link will work):

I'm looking for advice on whether I should send this one back for warranty work or just keep it and use it as is until something fails. There is no blade play or lock rock when the lockbar is touching the opposite side liner, so that's why I'm hesitant to call this a liner lock failure.

Thoughts?

I had a cheap work knife with lock up like that and I used it till it failed. The liner lock eventually got wedged between the liner and the blade and I could no longer close it unless I took it apart and bent it back so I scrapped it for parts. If you continue to use it the blade surface it rubs on will wear in and you will have even less lock up surface and the same could happen to you. I would send it back .... PS. I love your mouse pad :cool::thumbsup:

That settles it -- off she goes back up to Emerson! Bummer that I'll be without my CQC for a while, it's a sweet knife otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback, y'all!

Yeah that definitely needed to go back that lock was at the end of its life

I had a brand new Commander way back when. It took less than a month to realize the lock was going to do exactly what yours has done. It turned me off of Emersons for years. Recently I picked a CQC-13 from a fellow on this site, used. It hasn't moved a bit and I've opened it at least 1000 times. Some of their knives seem to settle in better than others.

A lot depends on the hardness of the stop pin. Lots of waving on a soft stop pin causes wear on the pin and the result is the lockbar moves over toward the non-lock liner. A short term fix can be to rotate the stop pin 180 degrees. The best fix is sending it in to Emerson. They will fix it.

Back