Attention Another Monster Ceremonial Drawing. It's time.

We still got tickets for lucky winner!

We still have many tickets for monster ceremonial khukuri. Great deal for low price to winner! Get your tickets now!

Btt again! Let wake this up folks! Nowhere anywhere are you going to find a Khuk of this quality built anywhere but right here!

Good on you ndog, I meant to do this a couple days ago and plumb got sidetracked.

We need to kick this thing, she's a beauty as well as a must have.

You dont have too cul! But if you do win man I dont know what to say cept i want you to buy me some lottery tickets!

Still got several ticket for sale

Last edited:
Boys and Girls, I can't begin to describe how breath taking and awesome these ceremonial knives really are. Till you actually hold one words just aren't enough.
I brought mine in for show and tell Tuesday, actually my chief told me his telling me to curtail my sometimes non PC hand gestures wasn't working and to bring him a knife so he could cut my hands off (true story). So of course I brought the ceremonial.
Since I had it down off it's rack in a place of honor, something that is performed extremely carefully I might add, I decided to wax it last night before returning it to it's proper place.
It was fun and enjoyable, not like waxing your car which is a chore but a lot of shiny blade to wax.
I'll get it hung back up tonight I hope, need a little help.
This might give you an idea of what we're talking about here.

Lets all pick up a few tickets so somebody else can get a chance to own one of these beast.
I'm gonna get some and if I win we'll just draw again or gift it to some deserving soul who don't already got one.
Knife this size, Yangdu probably can't park her car in the garage, takes up too much space.
Joke there, don't think Yangdu mixes cars and knives unless she runs out of space.

I show 18 sold, we need to sell 84 total. So there's lots left.

Boys and Girls, I can't begin to describe how breath taking and awesome these ceremonial knives really are. Till you actually hold one words just aren't enough.
I brought mine in for show and tell Tuesday, actually my chief told me his telling me to curtail my sometimes non PC hand gestures wasn't working and to bring him a knife so he could cut my hands off (true story). So of course I brought the ceremonial.
Since I had it down off it's rack in a place of honor, something that is performed extremely carefully I might add, I decided to wax it last night before returning it to it's proper place.
It was fun and enjoyable, not like waxing your car which is a chore but a lot of shiny blade to wax.
I'll get it hung back up tonight I hope, need a little help.
This might give you an idea of what we're talking about here.

Lets all pick up a few tickets so somebody else can get a chance to own one of these beast.
I'm gonna get some and if I win we'll just draw again or gift it to some deserving soul who don't already got one.
Knife this size, Yangdu probably can't park her car in the garage, takes up too much space.
Joke there, don't think Yangdu mixes cars and knives unless she runs out of space.

I will take another ticket. One is all I can do for now. I just sent an email and the payment to Yangdu.

I show 18 sold, we need to sell 84 total. So there's lots left.

Bawanna....to be quite honest, this is what scares me away from buying tickets.... as much as I'd love to help out the Kamis and get them some money....

This thread shows to have been open since January ..... that's 9 months now.... with 18 of 84 sold.

At this point, its looking like years.... if ever... the drawing will actually be held.... which means the tickets basically amount to a donation.

I'm buying 3 to 5 knives a week, my total to Yangdu this week alone was over 500.00....I'm trying to support the Kami's but 4 tickets is 100.00 and it's hard to toss that into a drawing which MAY be held sometime in the next 3 to 5 years rather than buy another knife for 85.00, 100.00 even, 65.00.... etc etc...

I think.... I don't know, you might generate more interest if there was a set date? ...... Christmas Eve.... now I know WHEN the drawing will be held, its not some random date 3 to 5 years from now.... now I know if I want to win that awesome blade, I MUST buy tickets before the date of the drawing......

yes there is the chance you may not sell all 84 by then..... but there is also the chance you will sell 184 by then with the increased interest....especially if stickied or kept bumped....the buying will get heavy a month before the drawing.... but people will throw what they can at it before then to pad their chances and increase their ticket count as the months roll on. Rather than just buying 10 in December they will buy 2 this weekend cause it was a good pay check... that's 2 banked.... 3 next month when the electric bills start to drop cause of cooler weather.... then focus hard and grab the 10 in the final month to optimize their odds when added to what they already have banked from buying thru the last few months.....

I'm not sure I'm making sense... I'm sorry, maybe I just lack the verbiage to get my point across.... but I honestly think you would generate more interest and ticket sales with a set drawing date.... regardless of how far in the future that may be....

The math says we are averaging 2 ticket sales a month.... between all of us... 18 in 9 months is 2 a month..... 84 - 18 = 66 left... at 2 a month that's 33 months.....just under 3 years.

just my 0.02... I may be way off base and over stepping my bounds by saying it.... but I cant be the only one watching this thread daily and thinking the same thing.....

/shrug

Hawg

Last edited:
Personally, when I buy into this type of sale I only buy one ticket -- figuring either I'll get lucky or I won't. That way I can pretend that it's 50-50, although in this case it's 84-1. I think of it as a donation, since the chances of winning are slim.

Not every sale is a success, and this looks like one of those rare cases where an HI sale just isn't making it. It's the first time that I can remember.

One reason is that nobody actually needs or can use a 40" 6 lb khukuri, so it's basically a collector blade. There are a number of collectors on this subforum, but still it narrows down the potential buyer base. I might have put in for one ticket, but I already have a 31" 3 lb Sirupati, and that's plenty big enough for me.

Another reason is the price. 84 bids at $25 a pop amounts to $2,100 for the blade. Size matters, but maybe not that much.

If the sale ended today, the blade would bring in 18 x $25 = $450. I recommend that the sale end when the total reaches $600, which would be 24 bids. Or combine this with Hawg's idea of setting an end-date around the holidays, in which case the blade might bring in more than $600.

The alternative would be to withdraw the blade from sale, but that leaves a number of forumites on the hook for those 18 bids, and it would probably be a lot of trouble to figure out who is who and return their money.

Last one of these she offered went in less than a month, one guy bought like a whole bunch of tickets.
Setting a date is a fine idea but she runs the very large and real risk of not getting the value of the knife out of the deal. I agree, a target date is sound and something I would prefer.

I'll discuss with Yangdu and see what she thinks, she is way more smarter and wiser than me.

The selling price of this blade I was told is upwards of 1200 and shipping this beast needs to be considered too.
We had the same issue years ago trying to put together a minimum number of orders for T shirts. Never did get enough to order. They were outrageously over priced in my opinion.

I know exactly who bought how many so pulling it and returning the money wouldn't be a big deal if Yangdu decides to go that route. I do hope she gets a whole lot more than 600 bucks though.

I only threw out that $600 number because it's a lot more than I've ever spent on a single blade, but that's just me, and because there have only been 18 bids in 9 months. I hope Yangdu gets whatever she considers fair for this knife.

I've noticed that people sometimes spend upwards of $1,000 on a 9" folding knife in the folder section of the Exchange. Maybe that's where the deep pockets people are. :) It would be a good joke to post this monster in that sub-forum, even if the moderators took down the posting the next day.

Last edited:
I think the whole point about drawing for a collector's piece is that it is not the kind of knife you would normally buy. It is a chance to pay a smaller amount of money and possibly end up with a knife that you never would have paid the whole price for. That's why I like the drawing. Not many of us would ever pay to have a knife like this commissioned, but some of us weirdos still really LOVE getting a chance to have a beast like this. I'm like David, I pretend it is donating to charity. Charity with a gambler's chance of being the BIG WINNER!

I do agree that it would be a good idea to do something to give some life to the drawing, just so people will want to buy more tickets, but we cant expect Yangdu to lose out. Lowering the tickets needed to 60 total would still be $1,500. That would increase the odds of winning by a little over 15% (which might spark a bit more interest) and that would put us about a third of the way to all the tickets being sold. It really just depends what Yangdu decides to do.

I would never throw $25 in a jar every now and then with the expectation of commissioning a knife like this one day, but I will guiltlessly throw $25 for a ticket every now and then to an honest company like Himalayan Imports for a gambler's chance of being luckily drawn. This knife already has a home, it just hasn't made it there yet. Buying one ticket could land it at your house. Buying many tickets might not bring it home to you. I tend to agree with David, you either get your name drawn or you don't. 50/50. Fate and chance decide if it is a yes or a no. But that won't stop me from buying another ticket every now and then to try to "improve the odds".

Last edited:
To put things into perspective from a forumite point of view there was a time you could put up tickets to win a Kothimoda Katana for $1200 IIRC? Now if this 40"er knife is worth more or less I cannot even venture to guess? Ive already thrown in some tickets myself and will probably throw in some more especially knowing my odds are better than last time I did. I too consider it as a donation to the Kamis myself and that dont bother me a bit. I might recommend to consider the lowest value one is willing to set for a reserve minimum price for the blade and a date for the draw and if it dont make the reserve price then withdraw and refund and just post it for sale on open market or reconsider its value at another time. We are all pretty much fair trade folks and have the greatest respect for HI but our fair market value for the knife might just not be inline with the asking price? I just dont know? Maybe we could extent the market reach somehow? Not sure what to do but it dont seem to be happening as is? I say set a reserve and a date and see what happens but thats not my call just a suggestion.

Back