another overnighter: last of 2019.

JV3

this trip was in early december of 2019 and never got around to posting it until now...just some random photos.

123_001_zpszza7u5w4.jpg

123_002_zpsdzqd8quw.jpg

123_003_zpsy78c7w19.jpg

the water was ice cold so the emberlit fireant took a very long time to boil the water...i should've brought the normal-sized one.

123_004_zpsk6bxy9ga.jpg

123_005_zpsamwa1usf.jpg

123_006_zpsf5pjaa3g.jpg

i've been using these quail-sized oven-safe bags for awhile now for cooking rice and i like it a lot...less cleanup.

123_007_zpsab573qf9.jpg

kept my water near the fire to prevent it from freezing.

123_008_zpsxtlfqkji.jpg

h&b forge shawnee tomahawk - another one of my favorite cutting tools...i don't remember the last time i took a trip and left it at home.

123_009_zpsksndqhio.jpg

the best part - just sitting back doing nothing but watching the fire and water boil.

123_010_zpslcndvgc9.jpg

i slept in a hammock winter setup but this was my camp area.

123_011_zps1nkqewnh.jpg

i usually don't build a fire reflector but this trip i did and glad i did...it worked well that i will try to utilize it more often.

123_012_zpsdp6uvbly.jpg

anyway, that's it...happy new year everyone! late for the normal one but a little early for the lunar one :)

You by yourself on this one? Any day in the woods is a good day!

indeed...peace and quiet is priceless to me.

yes, i was solo throughout this trip...human-wise anyway. the coyotes were especially active after sun down but i only heard them and never saw one though...they must know i'm not a picky eater and will try anything! haha.

indeed...peace and quiet is priceless to me.

yes, i was solo throughout this trip...human-wise anyway. the coyotes were especially active after sun down but i only heard them and never saw one though...they must know i'm not a picky eater and will try anything! haha.
I like to go by myself too for much the same reason whether it be a photo trek, a hike, or camping. Your choice of "dinner" was classic "guy" which I chuckle about because it is precisely the same kind of stuff I would take along. Guess all your missing is some spam. :D

I assume this is your regular camping spot so you know exactly what equipment to take along that is needed and what works there.

What's Bearthedog up to these days? Haven't seen him post in a good while.

Last edited:
Reactions: JV3
I like to go by myself too for much the same reason whether it be a photo trek, a hike, or camping. Your choice of "dinner" was classic "guy" which I chuckle about because it is precisely the same kind of stuff I would take along. Guess all your missing is some spam. :D

I assume this is your regular camping spot so you know exactly what equipment to take along that is needed and what works there.

What's Bearthedog up to these days? Haven't seen him post in a good while.

yes, it's one of my regular spots...only time i bring real food actually.

i sometimes hang out with non-knife people heading to new-to-me spots and when i do i tend to load up on all the water i'll need and then some (regardless what they say about water availability) and just stick to one dehydrated food (warm dinner as a luxury) but i pack enough energy bars & mixed nuts in case i need to just hunker down and stay in my shelter the whole trip...those trips i still carry my mora 510 and silky pocket boy 170 as part of my base gear though.

bearthedog's been busy traveling the world lately...wouldn't surprise me if he's out in some hot zone right now documenting stuff...i usually don't hear about it until months later when he's back in the states and safe...our primitive camping trips are his form of taking it easy for a change, haha.

The camp and the food looks awesome as usual Jay! Thanks for sharing the trip! But I had enough snow and cold temps in Michigan in 2013 and 14 to last me two lifetimes lol. If I move again it'll likely be tropical or at least subtropical rather than arctic or subarctic again lololol. I've never really thought of them as so much reflecting heat as them keeping it from escaping so quickly...

The camp and the food looks awesome as usual Jay! Thanks for sharing the trip! But I had enough snow and cold temps in Michigan in 2013 and 14 to last me two lifetimes lol. If I move again it'll likely be tropical or at least subtropical rather than arctic or subarctic again lololol. I've never really thought of them as so much reflecting heat as them keeping it from escaping so quickly...

thanks, brian! wow, i remember that when you moved to michigan...can't believe it was '14...time flies!

Nice trip report. It was in the 70's in my Southern Canadian town this weekend. Ugh....ahw well, Ill be visiting Houghton, Mi in a couple of weeks and am planning to do some snowshoeing with friends while I'm there. Thanks for reminding this Canuck what snow looks like again :)

Back