• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Another Paypal Discussion

He changed it. Most people never stop to consider why there are two methods of transferring money in PP. They opt for the one that costs them less. Nobody reads the user agreement.

I don't understand how folks think that a company doesn't need to get paid for a service it is providing. And for those of you who think Paypal is gouging customers with inflated rates...

https://www.finder.com/paypal-vs-us-banks-for-international-transfers
http://grasshopper.com/resources/tools/online-payment-options-google-paypal-amazon/
http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/011215/which-safer-paypal-or-credit-card.asp

That being said, here is a interesting article on why you should dump Paypal...
http://lifehacker.com/5821634/why-y...use-these-other-services-to-send-people-money

Am I the only person that gets irritated to the point of not buying a knife because the seller wants me to figure the 3 percent or do F&F? I just passed on a nice Barlow because of this. I realize it's not much. It's the principle to me. It's the sellers account. They should pay the percentage. I pay it when I sell my knives. Anyone else have an opinion on this?--KV

My favorite is when they do that and then keep lowering the price until it is lower than it would be with the original price without the fees added. I guess some sellers don't realize that "net to me" (and f&f only) writing turns off a ton of buyers and haven't seen the many threads of people hating on it in gb&u. I too have passed on a bunch of listings for doing that.

3% isn't the right amount, but people who ask for 4% are even worse. There's really no excuse for putting either the wrong amount or not putting the final cost to the buyer when there are free and easy to use fee calculator websites available.

when I see " Net to me " I tend to gag ! - do I need to whip out a calculator and start figuring paypal & then shipping .
Not sure and don't want to get flamed on this but I think it's a younger generation thing

when I list things - I'll figure bottom line with all in & usually I realize I'll have to take a hit

I will say it depends on the rarity/difficulty in finding an item as to how accepting people are of the practice of having the buyer calculate fees but I will say that F&F is a flat no always.

It's usually a hard pass for me although these things can be negotiated, but if you pay F&F then you're just asking to get hosed. However, many people seem to not care at all about this because I've seen members with over a hundred or two sales and they're asking 4% for fees.

Most sellers are looking to either maximize money received, reduce hassle involved, or sell relatively quickly. Transaction fees, shipping and insurance fees are part of the cost of doing business remotely, which cut into any profit margin (or increase loss when selling at a loss), so sellers are motivated to not have to eat those costs. They would rather pass them on to the buyer. A buyer doesn't want to pay $110 for a $100 knife, and the seller doesn't want to receive $90 for a $100 knife.

If everyone just trusted everyone, and didn't mind waiting a while to get paid, you could just ship your knife, uninsured, lowest cost shipping option, and the buyer would put money in an envelope and mail it to you, at the same time.

I don't see that working out too well except for transactions between true friends who know each other well, and who both accept the risk of loss of using unprotected methods of transferring goods and funds.

So, enter the trusted middlemen, or at least partially protected middlemen. Companies that will, for varying fees, take care of the uncertainties for you. Insured and tracked shipping. Verified and instant payment, with protection agreements and dispute settlement. So you pay some, to avoid the risk of losing all.

It's still possible to pay by US Postal money order (there is a fee for those, too, plus the stamp to mail it), or personal check. Maybe the "net to me" guys are willing to accept a personal check?

That is the subforum that is described as "..your area to tell about your experiences (Good or Bad) with dealers, sellers, and individuals you've bought, sold, and traded with.", is it not?
Yes, it is. I reported the thread with the suggestion to the mods to move it there, before I posted in it.

The first time I saw "net to me" it was a bit of a shock. I remember sending (and receiving!) USPS money orders not too long ago. Just last month I sent a check to pay for a knife.

If everyone just trusted everyone, and didn't mind waiting a while to get paid, you could just ship your knife, uninsured, lowest cost shipping option, and the buyer would put money in an envelope and mail it to you, at the same time.

no one here is knocking paypal g&s. everyone SHOULD use g&s and nothing else, it's one of the greatest things to happen to knife trading or any online trading. the point is that the seller should include it in their price if they are asking for paypal, as per the terms of services

anyone defending the + pp fees needs to quick kidding themselves. not only is it annoying, it's violation of paypal terms. don't be a dirt bag and play by the rules

Fees... I pay for shipping and taxes with some online dealers. I don't think it is asking too much for a seller to do the same, but I expect decent ship times, packaging, and an accurate product description. I don't believe in scamming PP with F&F for purchases either. Just my opinion...

Fees... I pay for shipping and taxes with some online dealers. I don't think it is asking too much for a seller to do the same, but I expect decent ship times, packaging, and an accurate product description. I don't believe in scamming PP with F&F for purchases either. Just my opinion...
If a seller wants to charge ike a dealer, then they should pay the dealer membership fee and become a vendor/dealer.

Between two people, I am not paying for you to sell your knife.
99% of the time, the buyer is doing the seller the service. Due to that fact alone, the seller should be bending over backwards to make the deal as smooth as comfortable.

Does a respectable seller use a knife after it is sold, prior to shipping?
Do they tweak anything on the knife (not specified) after the sale?
Do they ship in a plain white paper envelope?

Hell, a respectable buyer shouldn't even say that once the knife leaves my hands, I am not at fault.
- Yes you are. The Seller is responsible until the Buyer is happy, within reason.
(Not you personally, but the seller of any object within the confines of this forum.)

If a seller wants to charge ike a dealer, then they should pay the dealer membership fee and become a vendor/dealer...

Seems like a double standard IMHO. Do you ever purchase any products that are not knives from people not involved with this forum? Do you have the same expectations? Maybe it just seems strange to me as an outsider/newcomer.

If someone donated a knife to a newcomer and just asked for shipping, would they also be considered greedy? They might not be paying for a dealer/vendor membership after all.

Back