Another Sarge except he's a USMC Major and more khukuris for Saddam.

I can send some $$! It would be an honor! Pay day is Thursday and I'll get a check out to you Uncle Bill!

I admire the way Uncle Bill does the right thing, then worries about the wherefor and why. First with Sarge, now with Major Mike the hardware flew, then the word that if any of us wanted to take up some of the slack, our help would be most welcome. I just put about one 12" sirupati worth of slack in the mail.

Uncle Bill,

The highlight of the day was the package with the three kukris, much better than the 2 hour staff meeting or 4 hours with the spouses!

Showed them around the HQ area and some of the Combat Engineers, well received would be an understatement! When questioned as to the validity of passing around weapons I corrected them as Kukris being gardening and utility tools.

You will have to forgive my ignorance on the models. The smaller (British Army service?) is not much bigger than a Kabar but will last much (5x-10x?) longer while getting much more work done.

The middle size (WWII?) looks like it could go on the deuce belt, small of the back under a butt pack (for those of us “unlucky enough” to come up short on Molle gear), or strapped to a med. sized ALICE.

The large is definitely sized for a pack. It might make a statement a deuce belt while in relative garrison but not on patrol!

Tried out on some old pallets, dunnage, etc. They work!

It’s going to be a shame to tape/paint the shiny brass L. Will look at options for carry and subduing.

Pappy,

I replied to your email. Please let me know if you want general distribution or the next Joint Task Force Full Accounting.

Sarge,

I am overwhelmed at the response! I used the excuse of turning in my sleeping bag system to buy a Wiggy, and will buy a new force pack as I no longer have my modified large ALICE. Kind of eats into the funds, but I can’t really complain.

Getting wound up and holding, spun down, re-directed, spun up, re tasked, … gets old. I have five tours enforcing the no-fly zones over Iraq and the waiting, wondering when we’ll be able to retaliate, planning for the CSAR/TRAP if we have to gets old. It will dull the edges. The same w/ Allied Farce (Force) over Kosovo. Back from a Northern No-fly zone tour on a Tuesday planning on shooting on the range the next week and called 1600 on Saturday w/having to be in place to cover the CSAR/TRAP by Monday AM, then just sitting until…

Since January we’ve been on and off tethers to deploy to the different missions with various timelines. Hard on the Marines and sailors, I think even harder on the families.

It is hard keep the men focused when your chain keeps getting jerked. It is called a leadership challenge. As Ics37 points out, blow off some steam. If you’re somewhere w/beer available have a bear pit (Ranger pit in USA speak J) followed by beer. Cans are preferred in the PC era as you can then order the “under age” soldiers to conduct a police call of the “empty” barley pop cans. Follow the next morning w/a 5-9 mile jog in deuce (LBE) gear.

All,

You may be right about the addiction. We appreciate the support. The Kukris will go out, whether we deploy as a squadron or on the detachments.

S/F, Mike

FOG, you're my kind of officer! If the Army had a few more like you I'd be a lot happier.

Uncle Bill,

Some of the officers want Kukris for their own use/gear. I plan on selling them to the other officers at cost + $10.00 to $20.00. Use the surge charge to increase the total supply. How hard would it be to let me know what the cost of the individual Kukris so I can accurately keep track.

To all who have donated,

I plan on using the same system as above in order to fund an overall increase.

The ordering plan is to let the officers and senior SNCOs see what shows and then do a consolidated order while having the on hand Kukris RFI to deploying Marines and Sailors.

There is an interesting split along MOS/backgrounds on which ones are preferred. So far everyone likes the smaller one as a Kabar replacement. The largest is liked by those with an infantry, comm., airfield ops, or recon background as a pack not patrol issue. The Combat Engineers, Motor T, cooks, admin, and corpsmen all think it is too big and since they have dedicated shovels, axes, and machetes it is an excess weight.

Any and all comments or suggestions are appreciated.

S/F, Mike

So far everyone likes the smaller one as a Kabar replacement.

Sir, I have to agree with them. The BAS, 15"AK, and (my favorite)15" Sirupati, are the ones I'd stick with for guys pulling patrols and such. The bigger ones are good to keep in humvees to supplement the tools in the pioneer kit.

Took your advice, instigated some foot nav training (had to forego a "bear pit", can't risk predeployment injuries) and some St. Patrick's Day "activities" so the guys can blow off some steam.

Sarge

Uncle,

I was typing an email w/further explanations when yours hit. The short version is none of these are going to officers for free. They can buy their own. I told them about the Crazy Pala stuff and a little extra for the squadron Kukri fund.

Sarge,

Our MCMAP training was being driven closer to the LINE philosophy but we were directed to do more riot/police type training, not a fan of MCMAP.

Pappy,

Depending on when it shows up I am planning on sending it with a MGySgt. EOD type to Joint Task Force Full Accounting, recovery of U.S. service members remains from the Vietnam war, if that meets with your approval. The CWO 4 EOD Officer just returned and wants one for field use and to incorporate into his Ju Jitsu training.

All,

I just have to get outside during the hours of light. I am not suited to sitting behind a desk and being the consummate staffer, I will settle for being an adaquate staffer.

Uncle, can you tell us which 3 khuks the Major is referring to as being:

1) small - ( possibly the BAS )
2) medium - ( possibly the WW2 )
3) large - ( unknown? )

If you can remember, that is.

If you sent a WW2, was it 16.5" or 18"?

Major, if you're reading this, don't pay it much attention. Unless you believe that reality in the east is different than reality in the west and that certain smiths can forge magic into their blades that gives them a spirit. We all know better than that kind of peasant superstition, right? ;)

Sir,
It is a great officers of your caliber in the fleet. I hope that you are still around in 5+ years when I am done with IOC. Until then, I look forward to my first Khuk arriving (18" AK). I've already aroused the Gunnery Sergeant's interest along with many other mids (not surprisingly, the Marine Ops seem to be the most interested).
V/R,
MIDN 4/C Aquadro

Rusty,

I have a chance to jog (not run) into work tomorrow morning. I will try and let you know which ones Uncle sent. About 15”, 18” and 21” respectively.

Basically told Uncle Bill what I was looking for and planned on spending the money. I got the feeling he was a no BS type of guy who was passionate about Kukris. He seemed to want success from each blade and would be hurt if that was not what happened. I told him to pick what would be the best choices in his opinion. He gave me a price that was great so I sent the total money anyway and told him to pick some more and I’d pass them out.

The blades are “lively”. Our EOD officer is the person that the USMC went to for Ju Jitsu input on MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program). We both agreed on the qualities. You know you’ve spent 2-3 days in Asia when you can tell the differences in the rice between N. Japan, S. Japan, Korea, Thailand, Singapore, various parts of the P.I.

Quadro,

Don’t know about the about the great part. I have a section C (FitRep) that read in part “Capt. Mike is in extremely good physical condition, he physically intimidates senior officers. Does not play the political game well.”

Good luck. Have your MOI/OSO explain MOS selection.

My CO was a motor t officer out of TBS. He showed up to 3rd Recon Bn. and the CO basically told him “I have a Gy. to run my motor pool, you’re a Plt Cmdr.” He spent the next 4 ½ years in Recon/Force and a dual fool.

My1st flying tour we worked w/1st/1st SF. Afterwards my CO asked me if I would be a rent a FAC for them. I would fly as much and get the good deals but no bs ground job. I had a good time and did minimal paperwork .

Grab as many OORRAAHHH schools as you can before commissioning. Another good MOS for the fun stuff is Comm. Keep the Kukri out of sight at TBS and don’t even think of taking it to OCS.

Sarge,

As you can tell I am very ignorant of the variations. When I have time to work it out I probably won’t have access to the internet.

Sent two of the Kukris to the Engineers for their experimentation today. They didn’t want to use them as they thought the blades were too nice. I had to chop up some scrap wood 1st. When the others are passed out it will have to be in an instructional environment to guarantee they are used and marked up!

Had some staffers over this afternoon from higher hq. They liked the blades and questioned my determination that these Kukris were gardening and utility tools. I’ll have to find some more documentation for the point paper.

S/F, Mike

Sir,
Thank you for the advice. Our MOI briefed us on MOS selection, and I know that only roughly 25% of TBS grads get to go infantry and that I have a better chance on the ground, but infantry is where I have wanted to be for as long as I can remember, and I plan on doing everything I can to secure that slot by ending up at the top of my class. If not Infantry, then hopefully there will be a slot open for Ground Intel/Scout Sniper.
V/R,
MIDN 4/C Aquadro

Uncle Bill,

Email reply enroute.

Quadro151,

Scout/Sniper is an enlisted MOS. Officers may lead, plan, and coordinate. As a ground Intel officer you may get a chance to have them under your command.

Remember that training resources (time, ammo, ranges, etc.) are scarce. Do not abuse your position to get some range time to the detriment of your Marines training. You should coordinate training with your senior SNCO. When you have a junior NCO who is just beginning to lead and instruct find time and circumstances where the junior can teach you part of his job while being observed by his immediate SNCO. This will allow you to learn, show your subordinates that you are willing to listen, and make sure that your SNCOs are doing their job. This applies throughout your military career and can be adapted to most any situation.

Always watch and learn how somebody else is doing something. It may or may not have applicability to your immediate situation but it will be in your brain housing group for future reference.

S/F, Mike

Sir,
Again thanks for the good advice. Marine Ops are scarce here at Cornell, there are only 7 of us out of 60 or so mids, 3 of which are freshman (myself included). The upside to that is we get a lot of attention from our GySgt. Any advice you have for me is greatly appreciated, I am always ready and eager to learn more.
V/R,
MIDN Aquadro

Originally posted by FOG ...... Had some staffers over this afternoon from higher hq. They liked the blades and questioned my determination that these Kukris were gardening and utility tools. I’ll have to find some more documentation for the point paper.
Try these two links to find good reference material for khukuri as Tool, which is what most of us actually use them for.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&q=khukuri+machete

http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/reviews.html

DDean,

Appreciate the links. I’ll print them out and use them as references.

Sarge,

I had a quiet St. Paddy’s Saturday afternoon. Went in and did some paperwork, did some PT then went for a ride. Stopped by at a buddy’s work, he just taken over as XO as HQ outfit. He had the Field grade patrol later that night. We went over to a mutual friend’s to burn some beef. The dogface present is the surgeon for 1st/1st. We realized we had worked together before when he was a SFC, we compared notes on mutual friends and are going to try and set up some cross training. No serious PT just relaxing chow and a few beers with bubbas from all four services.

Quadro,

Seeing as how you’re from Cornell study Geography and English. It’s a little poke as we have a 2ndLt. over here on the Rock whose English (grammar, structure, etc.) are suspect and had serious trouble comprehending that just because Hawaii is one of the 50 states it is not in CONUS.

One of the problems you will have is the when “I was” disease. Things change. I understand that neither OCS nor boot camp have the motivation/incentive PT, wall to wall counseling, etc. Properly administered, along with thrashings, blood wings, etc. did not harm and were beneficial. Improperly administered they were/are farcical at the least and dangerous at the worse.

Remember that the vast majority don’t stay up at night figuring out ways to screw up.

Well I re-dyed three sheaths, wet proofed, then polished them. I soaked them in water and am going to try and tighten them. The uniform shop got in a shipment of the new style butt packs. Unfortunately these don’t mount on the deuce belt the same way, it’s going to be interesting to mount a Kukri cross draw between the butt pack and belt. I’ll have to think about that one. It’s probably not that big a deal as the XO is in the rear with the gear. Besides I have a Beretta and a M4 shotgun (unfired).

S/F, Mike

Fog,
Sounds like a good time. Speaking of that, it's Saint Patrick's Day here, and I ginned up an idea to have a squadron "Irish" Stew cookoff (Irish in quotes 'cause I expect to see everything up to and including New Mexican green chile stew, if it's good it qualifies today in my squadron as "Irish" stew). Of course I'll win the cookoff with the most creative entry, plying myself with pints of Guinness until I'm well and goodly "stewed". Just kidding, I love my beer, but I don't care much for drunkeness, except "medicinally" of course.;)

Happy Saint Patrick's Day sir, and keep yer khukuri clean

Sarge

Back