ANOTHER Update: Leatherman customer Service Umm?

So i sent my crusty rusty Skeletool in for warranty repair and it got there on friday morning according to the post office. This morning i called just to make sure it was received and everything was good, not that im in any sort of rush or anything. So i get the lady on the phone and ask my respective questions and she tells me today they are opening packages received on January 26. Has anybody experienced this with Leatherman? Or is she blowing smoke up my stack?

Update: Got a random shipping notification from UPS Mail Innovations Expedited. It just has my address and a tracking number. When tracked it just says the info was sent to UPS no address of the sender or anything. After some extencive research i found a link in another forum to a third party tracking site that identified the sender location as Portland OR so i assume this is my tool. I've never herd of UPS Mail Innovations Expedited upon further investigation it doesn't look good. Anybody have experience with this?

ANOTHER UPDATE: Unlike the rumors of late I'd even non delivery by UPS Mail innovations I received my package on the scheduled date. I came home today and in the mailbox sat a small white plastic envelope with my brand new Skeletool in it, complete with new bits. It took a little longer then expected and never got a real answer from Leatherman as to if they got it or what was being done but they honor their warranty with no questions asked above and beyond what I expected. Thanks Leather man, I've owned em for 20 years and plan on owning them long into the future.

Last edited:
Well Leatherman is a big company i dont think they r blowing smoke. Its about 10 days or so they might have a ton of warranty items. I do have a Leatherman myself but as of now did not need to send it in. When things like that happen sometimes i call back and hopefully get a different person and see if their stories stick

Well Leatherman is a big company i dont think they r blowing smoke. Its about 10 days or so they might have a ton of warranty items. I do have a Leatherman myself but as of now did not need to send it in. When things like that happen sometimes i call back and hopefully get a different person and see if their stories stick

Yea i might try that in the morning. Like i said im in no hurry i just want to make sure it made it, ive never sent anything to them before.

To the best of my understanding Leatherman is not a huge team, despite their output. I wouldn't worry too much, It would not surprise me in the least if they are a bit behind, considering SHOT, as well as the holidays. Let us know how it turns out, but I'm sure its safe and sound.

Well I would say they really stepped up. With a large company you can't expect it to happen overnight. But I remember in times past like before the internet when a warranty repair could take months regardless of what brand you were dealing with.

Well I would say they really stepped up. With a large company you can't expect it to happen overnight. But I remember in times past like before the internet when a warranty repair could take months regardless of what brand you were dealing with.

Oh i know but being the impaitent knife and gun nut that i am i want it and i want it now. They should of stopped production when my package arrived and addressed it right then and there lol........then theres reality.

I am glad that it all worked out. LM is definitely a small operation compared to some other manufacturers, I had the opportunity to take a tour of their operation and was pretty impressed with the whole setup.
If you are ever in Portland then I highly recommend it

I am glad that it all worked out. LM is definitely a small operation compared to some other manufacturers, I had the opportunity to take a tour of their operation and was pretty impressed with the whole setup.
If you are ever in Portland then I highly recommend it

I actually planned to go out to Yosemite National Park this summer. Its one of the few National Parks in the lower 48 i haven't hiked or at least visited. Is the tour something they just let your average joe just walk up and do?

To be fair, the holidays and SHOT shoot the heck out of January for many companies.

I've sent back my Wave a few times and two weeks is the norm. Always a new one. Gotta send it back again...I'm Hell on pliers.

I own exactly one Leatherman and have carried it on my belt since the day I got it in Sept 1994... it's served me well for a 1000 tasks. I use it almost daily for one thing or another.

0C864F39-E8EB-46FB-BDD4-C71982C0943E_zpsmqwyh4oh.jpg

BD443639-B3AB-45D5-9821-25E5E792F007_zpssgkhkmcv.jpg

So happens I know a guy who also had one of these. He owns a fairly successful dairy in southern Ohio that wholesales to food stores in our part of the state and has several employees with whom he works side by side in production. His PST was one of the early ones from the 1980s, and he carried it with him wherever, not only at work but in business and social settings. First time I met him was at a party, and naturally, that was one of the things I noticed. Over time he had worn out several of those leather sheaths such as the one in these photos and was looking for a replacement for the raggedy one he had on him. We briefly talked multi-tools before moving on to other subjects, and later, over time, I got to know him fairly well.

After a long period of not seeing him, I ran into the guy at a supermarket where he was setting up a display, and after a brief catchup, I saw he had a larger nylon sheath on his belt. I asked, and he replied that he had finally packed in the PST and was now carrying a Super Tool 300 that he got to replace his worn out PST. He was happy with it, and my guess is he will be using it for the rest of his career.

Back