Another Wicked Edge and KME

Hello from Reno! New guy here. My apologies up front as I’m sure this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. But I believe everyone’s situation is unique and in need of different opinions and perspective. I posted something similiar in the WE forums but wanted to come here for a broader perspective.

If I did purchase a WE system, it would be the Pro-Pack III or slight variance thereof. KME, Deluxe system with the lapping kit added on. Both with scissor attachment. No doubt, with KME, you are getting a LOT of bang for the buck.

Both systems appear to have everything I need to learn basic sharpening techniques and advanced techniques like polishing As a newb, I certainly don’t need the advanced stuff nor do I need a mirrored edge. But I want to because I can. I have the time as I have six Saturdays and a Sunday. ;)

Background: Little above zero in sharpening knives. Maybe a little more in sharpening hand planes and a couple of chisels (very basic though).

I have several EDC. Couple are good, some not. Kitchen knives. Maybe sharpen for friends and family. Next several months, looking into a project of making a few knives of my own.

I’ve watched several You Tube on both systems. So I got the general idea of both.

First for me is ease of setup and use. Both appear to be simple?

Rock solid and well built.

Another big thing for me is fast repeatability. When the Wife says knife needs a touch up. How fast (relatively speaking)?

Next, while I do have the time, I don’t like to waste it unnecessarily. So efficiency is also important. It would appear that the ability to work both sides of the blade would be efficient as opposed to pausing to flip the blade?

Would love to hear from the folks who had or have both systems and why they chose one over the other. Cost notwithstanding. I have the budget for the WEPPIII, but as said before, not looking to throw it away unnecessarily.

To note: I looked at Tsprof system. While it looks very capable, not into the whole wait list thing and waiting several weeks.

Thank you in advance for the discussion, perspectives, suggestions, opinions and anything in between!

William

I have a tsprof, didn't care about mirror edges, now I'm kinda obsessed, though I'm only going to 3k and stropping with green compound on balsa.

The wait was intolerable, but so worth it. I would go with the new style with the amazing mechanism, as there isthe slightest wobble in the elevation adjustment when the screw is all the way out.

When I decide to sharpen knives, I generally do several and I'll always touch up my edcs while I'm at it. It's very quick to set up. From the case I'm sharpening within 3 minutes, and being able to swap from side to sidein a second or so really cuts down.

Last edited:
The wait was beyond nauseating. However it's an incredible system. I believe it's more versatile and better built than the WE. The BIGGEST plus is the stone options are almost limitless and can be had for a few dollars each. Not the case with WE. I purchased a bunch of 1x6 and 1/2"x6. I also bought half rounds in both sizes for karambits. I purchased 36 Extra stones for less than the cost of 2 sets if WE stones.

*** There are two dealers in the US now so it may not be a long wait if any?

I have had the KME and the TSProf system. Sent the KME back after a week the clamp was horrible. The TSprof system I could not get even bevels one side was always noticeably larger than the other and Paul would not send a new clamp that was before they had dealers in the US. Sold that system and bought the WE PP III have not looked back since yes its a chunk of change but I have never regretted buying the IMO best system. Just like other tools you get what you pay for.
Set up is quick and clamping is precise. Touch ups are a breeze. Never got knives as sharp as I have with the WE.

Love my Tsprof. Light years better than KME. But you are correct in customer service from Paul. There is none!!

Paul is crazy busy, 12 or so hours off of our schedule, and doing it all in another language (probably several), and from the best I can tell, Paul tries to answer every complaint personally, so yesit might take some time. He's getting big enough that he probably should really consider a customer service department. I try to think it's mostly growing pains

I can agree on all of that. Especially some customer service. You always want to get new customers but you also want to keep the ones you already have

Paul is crazy busy, 12 or so hours off of our schedule, and doing it all in another language (probably several), and from the best I can tell, Paul tries to answer every complaint personally, so yesit might take some time. He's getting big enough that he probably should really consider a customer service department. I try to think it's mostly growing pains

I gave Paul a couple of chances to make it right and he basically ignored me as he had made that sale. I let him know I had a duty to inform the members of BF about my experience with the product and the customer service and support. I know lots of folks are totally satisfied and love there system which makes it tougher to understand why he would not make it right with me. Nothing worse for PR than a disgruntled former customer with a forum and a keyboard. Sorry Paul I gave you plenty of chances to make it right. BF Members and potential TSprof customers you have been warned about the company and product.

Back