Anthony Bourdain's custom Bob Kramer chef's knife going up for auction

Off topic...I met and handled a Ray l(not Ron) Appleton folder in 1998 at the NY custom knife show. He called it his "tulip" folder. I believe it was one of a kind. On the table, it looked like a beautiful, glistening metal tulip. Like an ornate decoration on a table. When he said it was a knife, I didn't believe him. When he opened it, my jaw dropped. You familiar with the second Harry Potter movie? Remember how the tunnel door unlocked to the home of the Basilisk? That's how it opened.

I was with my dad. We are both engineers. We were mesmerized by his engineering genius and his skill as an artisan. Price in 1998 was over $20k. Between the two of us, we still couldn't afford it.

I've been collecting for over 30 years and that knife still stands out as the finest hand made item I've ever seen.

If given a second chance, I'd sell all my collectibles to be able to purchase that knife.

Sorry to digress...but I just wanted to thank Coop for mentioning an Appleton as #1. I've not handled a Ron Appleton, but Ray was something special.

I met Ron in 2011, and he showed me a couple knives he'd made. Whether or not they'd cut would have no bearing on whether or not I'd want to have one around at all times

already at $20K with 20 days to go.

BTW..what is this 25% "buyer's premium"?

I've never bid on an item from an actual auction house but that does seem awful scammy....

Most auctions I’ve been to were land auctions and the buyers premium is on top of your bid.

I can understand the "buyers premium" if all the money goes to the owner. But it's my understanding the auction house gets a percentage of the final sales price.

Just seems a bit seedy if they get both a percentage AND a "buyers premium"

Car auctions REGULARLY charge both the buyer (10%) and the seller (10%). That's how they rake in, errrr, earn their fees. They are working with larger amounts so a smaller fee is still VERY noteworthy.

A buyer's fee is a standard in (all?) high-profile auctions.

In this case the fee is probably derived over the entire average of the estate, so 25% IS steep for this particular 'lot'. Sigh.

Since there is a charitable aspect going on for scholarship, maybe this is the ONLY fee? So it's higher? I dunno.

Murica', where capitalism rules. :eek:

Cynicism aside, do you know what a buyer's premium is or not? I think that was the question. I'd like to know myself so please share.

I believe a buyer's premium is an additional fee paid by the buyer above the highest bid value. Not a scam when you go in eyes wide open.

The Buyers Premium is just that, there will be 25% added to the Winning bid.

For instance Bruce Voyles charges a 15% Buyers Premium on his auctions.

15 sounds more reasonable than 25. That would be one more reason I wouldn't bid on the knife.

It doesn't really make a difference, money is money. Just take your max that you will bid, subtract 25% and that's your true max bid...simple.

I just notice elsewhere that this is not the knife Kramer made on the TV show. Its one Bourdain ordered later from Kramer.

Reactions: mb>
To Coop’s question about the original sales or auction value when new, I see in the item description it values this at “$4-6K.” Would that be what the auction house thought it would go for?

The fees strike me as outrageous too. But for someone who drops $30-40K on a knife, $5K to them is probably like $100 to us peasants.

4 more days. There’s still time to get your bid in! $21K bid +25% is still holding for now. I wonder if this will work like eBay and blow up in the last minute with the real buyers.

Also can’t help wondering if the high bidder wakes up some mornings thinking “what am I doing? I could have bought a Harley!” Or a car. Or whatever. (Or in Lorien’s case, 3 high end mtn bikes.) ;)

It does seem to be stuck at that $26,000 price. I'm wondering too if there will be a last minute flurry of bidding or if the Kramer/Bourdain thing as lost some of its luster.

I wonder if the announcement of a Bourdain doc will attract more bidders?

its hittin price point i figured. as i said earlier in thread anything short of $20k and i would be shocked. I would assume we will see some last min bids come in, probably end up goin for like $25-30k before auction fees.

S
Many Warenski daggers go for as much and more than what this Kramer kitchen knife will finally fetch.

And without a famous owner, lol.
Some Warenski daggers are worth it. A Kramer kitchen knife that has been and is meant to be used? To each his/her own.

Back