Antigravity puzzle solved 50 years ago

When I was in high school in the 50's, I went to an open house at a local engineering college, Worcester Polytechnic Institute. There were all kinds of gadgets on display built by students, kind of like a science fair.

I have always wondered about one of them. It was a metal box about 10 inches square with a rod sticking out of the top. A flat metal disk about 8 inches in diameter with a hole in the center was floating above the box with the rod through the hole, but nothing was touching.

At first, I was not too impressed, figuring it was some sort of magnetism, but the kid took the disk off and handed to me. It was aluminum. Then he put a copper one on the rod, adjusted some knobs on the box and it floated up like magic.

I asked him how it worked and he just gave me a smart ass smirk and said "invisible forces".

I wanted to ask him more, but I got interested to the guy next to him who had built a strain meter that was so sensitive it could register when you took a 2 inch thick steel bar in your hands and tried to bend it. I spent the next half hour playing superman seeing how high I could get the reading to go, and I forgot about the guy with the floating disks. But over the years I wondered what became of that guy and what it was that he had actually built.

Wow, I go to bed early, and everything gets interesting :D Danny, I see you've edited your post, but if Drdan's quote of it is accurate, it was, in my opinion, pretty uncalled for, especially the "ass" appellation you bestowed upon Firkin. You asked for serious discussion on the issue, and I think Firkin did a pretty good job of presenting his ideas. I value your opinions, and Firkin's as well. Please let's keep things civil as behooves such a group of fine upstanding folk.

--Josh

I used to be a member of the Illuminati but was kicked out for not wearing their funny hats.

Wow, I'm absent for a while and this thread takes off. I think it's intresting. My personal main intrest I guess is in Coral Castle. There is no doubt it does exist. You go and see it and touch it. The coral rocks are huge and heavy. It is reported that one man working alone built it. No one has challeneged this. The question is how did he do it? Some have suggested anti-gravity and magnetics, I believe he( Ed Leedskalnin) said leverage. It is an intresting discussion. While I am an engineer, I do have a fascination for this "questionable" science. Tesla was not a quack and had some pretty unique inventions. Anybody interested in this type of discussion?

PS Nice turtle, is it soup yet? ;)

Mross--Coral Castle is very interesting. I wish it was on the west coast. You might want to take a look at this link about forgotten technology. It discusses a retired carpenter's ability to move multi-ton stones with no wheels, rollers, pulleys, or modern equipment.

--Josh

B. A._W.,

I think you'd have been a little disapointed if you looked in the box.

But yes, it has something to do with magnetism.

Chances are the guy had one of these connected to a variable power supply.

There is a typo on the page, Elihuh Thompson lived from 1853-1937. He was pretty productive guy, one of the founders of GE company, invented resistance welding, and was one of the first or the first to propose helium-oxygen breathing mixtures for diving to prevent nitrogen narcosis among other things.i

That was a cool link Josh.

The guy is pretty clever and it looks like he designed some neat tools.

Everbody hasn't forgotten this basic principles of this stuff though--

Check out these guys that do things like moving lighthouses!!

Not human powered, and they use steel and hydraulic jacks, and wheels, but it's a lighthouse moving over a half mile.

Another set of pix here.

Cool link, Firkin. I've always marvelled at large scale moves like that. I've never seen a lighthouse move before. It seems like the height of the structure would present its own set of problems.

--Josh

I edited my post pretty quickly, and I was hoping Dr Dan would have respected that and done the same, but no luck.
Its like having someone go through your garbage and post it...

I've seen a UFO and maybe one large one and seveal smaller ones but they were so high I don't know if it was my eyes or whether I was actually witnissing UFO maneuvers. The one I know I saw I first thought was a satellite. It was moving in what appeared to be a North to South orbit just like a satellite and suddenly it veered off to the southwest an extremely high rate of speed!:eek:
Absolutely amazing to me. But then the Old Ones spoke/speak of the Star People and I figure the elders know more than I.:p :D ;)

They make mighty fine eatin and I'm betting that one has maybe 4 pounds of meat locked up in its armor.
I know the secret of making skinning them easy if anyone's interested.:rolleyes: ;) :D

It is true that turtles have dark and light meat but to me the taste is about the same, may be different in sea turtles though, never 'et' one a dem.;)

Yvsa said:
Absolutely amazing to me. But then the Old Ones spoke/speak of the Star People and I figure the elders know more than I.:p :D ;)

Yvsa--there was a lot of talk in UFO circles a little while back about Hopi prophecy, particularly the Blue Star Kachina, which, as I understand it. was both an astronomical event of some sort and an actual entity as well, both of which signalled the end of our present era. There was also a lot of discussion about native peoples around the world and their records of dealings with nonterrestrial beings of various kinds in the distant past. I'd be interested in hearing anything you know and are willing to share about this topic. Fascinating stuff.

--Josh

Proves that one man's machine is another man's magic. Dunno if ye can classify moving blocks like that as "sleight of hand'--there ain't nuthing sleight about it:D:D:D

Seen UFOs in waay northern canada...we were watchin the stars, and the satellietes, then we saw a satellite making a zig-zag travers of the night sky. I know of no satellite or orbital vehicle that zigzags.

My mom saw a huge one over Pittsburgh PA when she was a teen. It wasn many hundred yards across, looked like an upended bowl with lights, and took off like a shot after a few mins of silent hovering.

Two of my friends saw very similar UFOs, so I did research and came up with a pic that was taken in Denmark that sounded like what they describe. I believe it is called the TR3 Triangle, experimental craft (I'll skip the added cosnpiracy rhetoric, which gets in the way). I showed it to both of them, and they confirmed that it is what they saw, too.

Keith

DannyinJapan said:
the best book on that I have read is here: http://www.ufoartwork.com/

Cool book. I'll have to check it out. What do you make of that whole aspect of UFOs, Danny? Do you think that they have been around for a long time, or is it a more modern phenomenon? It's easy to misinterpret ancient art and texts, not to mention some of the outright fakes perpetrated by Von Daniken, so it's kind of hard to know whether to believe some of this stuff or not; nevertheless, I find the topic very interesting, and feel that there are at least a few grains of truth buried in there somewhere :) .

--Josh

I thought you were an alien, Josh...? :confused:

Who else would live inside a soccer ball?

:D :p

I believe they have been studying us for several thousand years.
I know, ancient texts can be misinterpreted, but when roman soldiers describe " a bright silver shield that moved slowly and silently across the treetops at noon.."
How can you misinterpret that ?
How can anyone claim that Christian -period roman soldiers just "saw too many scifi movies?"

I believe there are several such civilizations who have visited us, probably for study, maybe to reach out, who knows.
I know its a scary thing, but we can get through it and when we do, there will truly be no limits.

Are you guys aware that There was a major UFO sighting in Kon-Tiki?
(the famous Thor Heyerdahl voyage)
Thor described a giant silvery wheel that boiled up out of the sea and flew off at tremendous speed.

There is a dangerous tendency, even amongst scientists, to accept that the science of yesterday predetermines the science of tomorrow.
When people claim that something is not possible because Einstein said so, that is the exact same thing as claiming the Earth is flat becase some ancient Sumerian said so.

How about this: Stephen Hawking believes that the saucer are real and that the US govt has knowledge and possession of said technologies.
He has publicly stated this.

east.jpg

Back