Antique khukuris from RNA

I recently acquired a couple of antique khukuris from the Royal Nepal Army cache from AC/IMA.

Any idea what they should be categorized or age or design? I take the fancy smart market names like "officers khukuri" or "longleaf" with a grain of salt.

OWBCewW.jpg

Top to Bottom
T: 643 grams and 17.5" OAL
M: 664 grams and 17.25" OAL
B: 516 grams and 15.6" OAL

Hbh1qdv.jpg

Here they are compared to my 2016 Thamar made chiurras.
T: DC 807 grams 19.37" OAL
M: YKC 732 grams 18.62" OAL
B: TC 726 grams 18" OAL

They were probably made sometime between 1900 and 1920. Might be older, but I doubt it, given the good condition. The handle wood seems to be in pretty good shape and the blades are not rusted up. Were they packed in grease when you got them? Did you do any cleaning before these pics were taken?

Is there any engraving on the spines? That might help to determine the age or other aspects of the blades' history.

They look to me like the Bhojpure model. AC/RMA also sells the Longleaf model but that is somewhat pointier and a little less fat in the belly.

I don't think "Longleaf" is a marketing name. It's probably the English translation. Bhojpure, on the other hand, is probably a transliteration. What the word means (in English) I don't know.

Just read it. Very informative. I'm going to have to dig out my AC longleaf and compare its markings with the article. I thought (still think) it's a CGAK, but it has the "letter" stamped on the butt end of the handle that the article says is more typical of the SGAK.

Also, mine seems a bit higher quality. it has a very nicely curved Sword of Shiva, and a "forked tongue" cho, similar to the ones that Thamar Kami has been doing for HI blades in the past year or so.

I don't see an author listed anywhere on the web page. Do you know who the author is?

Just read it. Very informative. I'm going to have to dig out my AC longleaf and compare its markings with the article. I thought (still think) it's a CGAK, but it has the "letter" stamped on the butt end of the handle that the article says is more typical of the SGAK.

Also, mine seems a bit higher quality. it has a very nicely curved Sword of Shiva, and a "forked tongue" cho, similar to the ones that Thamar Kami has been doing for HI blades in the past year or so.

I don't see an author listed anywhere on the web page. Do you know who the author is?

Thanks. Following the link to his CV, I see that he's a man with serious credentials. That's what I expected just from reading the article.

Not Bhojpores, as I also have one and these are clearly built with more care in the details and construction. These are called "Victorian Era Officer Kukri" which I really take with a grain of salt.

I reached out to Dr. Judkins and he spent a few days looking thru my pictures and his records.

Here is his reply:

"No that's fine. You have me stumped.

We may need to wait until some of these begin to show up with various sorts of markings or stamps to get a better idea of when they were produced. Of course that's always the challenge with Nepalese made kukri as these were produced in small batches, and they tended to reuse old designs. The question gets further complicated because some of this material say, late 19th century stuff, might actually have stayed in service until after world war II.

still, looking at your knives, they were clearly made and used by the Royal Nepalese military. The style of the handles, the marks on the bottom, the quality of the blades, all points to these being military issue knives made in Nepal and not India or anywhere else.

my guess is that all of these were probably made a little bit after most of the longleaf blades that Atlantic cutlery is selling. Who knows, if we wanted to indulge in wild speculation we might say world war one-ish? And it looks like more effort went into the construction of these blades than we see on some of the other military examples. Again, who knows what that really means, without concrete evidence of so e sort it's hard to say. I really do like the more pronounced curves on these blades, their geometry is quite nice. But I am going to have to guess that these are early 20th century pieces, may be produced after the main run of longleaf Gurkha kukri was over.

I didn't see any of these particular knives, at least to the best of my recollection, back when I toured the Atlanta cutlery Warehouse a few years ago. then again, there was just so much material to move through that it would be pretty easy for a run of a few dozen, or even a hundred kukris, to have slipped by the wayside. But I do wonder if these are all from the same cache, or if there might have been another set of purchases. Again that's just more wild, and unsubstantiated, speculation. It's really too bad that they didn't nap and catalog that castle, noting where things were stored, before clearing it out. my guess is that that measure simple as that may sound, would have solved a lot of these questions. stuff on the bottom of the pile always tends to be a little older than stuff on the top!"

Excellent information - many thanks for sharing it.
Mapping and cataloging the armory and its contents would have been a daunting task for an army of archaeologists with unlimited time. Not practical for a crew trying to pack and remove tons of filthy, rusted iron and decaying wood in a limited time.
71nw9y.jpg

Back