Antique lion knife 1874.

Are there anybody here who know what kind of knife this is and how the sheat to this type of knifes should look like? I want to make a leather sheat for this one and need to know a bit more before I start.
oejoMGXl.jpg
tPh8z7cl.jpg
lLq35mJl.jpg
V0K1gLil.jpg
cpiZoMfl.jpg
jU0ykOJl.jpg

Last edited:
My wild ass guess is early Finnish/Norwegian from what's left of the blade and ferrule. Looks like a lion figurine pommel. This could be considerably old.
I would't do any cleaning until I found out.
No clue on the sheath unless it's Finnish, then a traditional back sewn pouch.

Hello Eriksen, my name is Ralf and I am from Germany. My English is not that good, that's why I use google translator. I discovered your post today and maybe I can help you. The knife comes from Belgium. It's a traditional coachman's knife. If you enter "paeremes" on google, you will find many sites that will help you. Here are a few more websides on the subject:
http://www.fransdingemanse.nl
https://zeeuwspaardenmes.nl
http://www.antonsinke.nl/category/paeremes

I hope I could help you.
greetings from Germany
Ralf

Ralf

Thank you for the links. I collect vintage Finnish puukko and the knife mentioned looks somewhat similar. The "paeremes" are very interesting knives.
Welcome to the forums. Hope to hear more from you.
Rich

Hi rich,
thanks for the welcome in the forum. I just haven't looked into the forum for a long time.
But I love this forum, there are a lot of good people there and I think it has a good atmosphere here. This is not the case in every forum.
Well, Finnish knives, or Nordic knives in general, have a special charm and "always" quality.
When I started making knives, I also used Scandinavian blades first. I think a lot of hobby knife makers do that here at the beginning.
I've never had a bad Scandinavian blade in my hands either. I therefore fully understand your preference for Puuko knives.

So have a good weekend
Greatings Ralf

Ralf

I was wondering are the paeremes handles available with a puukko style blade? If so where or where might I purchase a paeremes handle to mount on a puukko blade of my own? They are really works of art. First I've ever heard of them. Need to do some research. Thanks again.
Rich

Ralf

Thanks for the link to that thread. Great series on wood carving. I'll check Herder's tomorrow and see if there is anything about these knives.
Rich

Good morning Erikson,
nice to read something from you.

Yes, they are originally from Zeeland - as I already wrote.
Zeeland is with Belgium and Holland.
See Wikipedia:
Zeeland (German Seeland, Zeeland Zeêland) is a province in the southwestern Netherlands. The province consists of a number of islands, peninsulas and a piece of mainland on the border with Belgium, called Zeeuws Vlaanderen ("Zeeland Flanders").

I hope my posts could help you.
Have you tried to make a knife sheath for the knife?
It would be nice if you let the result be seen.

Greetings, Ralf

Hello Erikson, I'll get in touch again,

When looking at the knife and the traditional sheaths, I thought - the leather sheath is made really simple for such a special knife. It is very similar to the knife sheaths of sailors' knives.
But the Scandinavian knives also have such sheaths.
In its basic form it also corresponds to the Norwegian knife tradition.
So it should be pretty easy to make such a sheath. In view of the particularly artistic handle of the knife, an ornately decorated knife sheath (as Havard Bergland shows it in his book) would of course also be very suitable.

I wish you much fun while producing the leather sheath.

Greetings, Ralf.

0dcceff8c9002ee2b653f4ff2a53d925.jpg
71fe0119-24b5-4759-bd8a-9ca7085bd81b.jpg

0712405c-0be3-403f-9364-2d18dde2b1ec.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Erikson, I'll get in touch again,

When looking at the knife and the traditional sheaths, I thought - the leather sheath is made really simple for such a special knife. It is very similar to the knife sheaths of sailors' knives.
But the Scandinavian knives also have such sheaths.
In its basic form it also corresponds to the Norwegian knife tradition.
So it should be pretty easy to make such a sheath. In view of the particularly artistic handle of the knife, an ornately decorated knife sheath (as Havard Bergland shows it in his book) would of course also be very suitable.

I wish you much fun while producing the leather sheath.

Greetings, Ralf.

0dcceff8c9002ee2b653f4ff2a53d925.jpg

0712405c-0be3-403f-9364-2d18dde2b1ec.jpg

I checked the Herder's website this morning. They still make a blade of that shape, but it is tang rivoted - so probably would not work making the Paeremes knife. A basic tube sheath is quite easy to make. I have made a few for the puukko I once crafted.

Rich

Last edited:
Hi Rich,
first of all I hope that Erikson is not annoyed that we are communicating on his topic.
Yes, these knives have a hidden tank blade, I think that's why you could easily mount a Puuko blade in such a handle.
The problem is more - "where do you get such a grip from ?!"
There is a simple (modern) knife version for around 80 €, but it is not as artistic as Erikson's.
But you could always check ebay or other forums to see if someone offers such a knife.
Sometimes you are lucky and can buy something cheap.
A Puuko blade would not be "the original", but in my opinion it would make the knife more valuable and useful.

Anyway, have a good weekend.
Greeting, Ralf

Ralf

Thanks, have tried ebay and other sources that I know of - nothing. I'll keep looking. Thanks for informing me about these unique, works of art.
Rich

Back