Antique Muela hunting knife info?

Hello,

I have this Muela knife which is probably around 50-60 years old. I don't know much about it except that it has sat in a drawer most of its life being unappreciated. So, I am ultimately thinking of selling it, but I don't know much about it other than it was made in Spain and has an antler handle and I am under the impression that Spanish steel is really good. Thank you for your help.

3f8c274737ecb48b5dd8e618a672b933.jpg

5c1e04c14dfda07b7151d9be8c9dd7a6.jpg

f449529661a04dd1afe11b1fee8a8bc4.jpg

805ee081f7422d786e6e1088b56dd335.jpg

49548de6c63ad628bdeea18a03c2c7ac.jpg

b1b74413e88a984e8383f02da1857256.jpg

e0a41fd26db1e3bc26afae609fe39f43.jpg
320e74ba2b905de7af8c0100af3bcbbf.jpg
765bd9b25f844bcdd6798bf83a7911b5.jpg
de8690e16910c9bcf9c97a4ac5bad510.jpg

Hey man, welcome to bladeforums! We can't give you a cash value, but I have a suggestion- muela is still manufacturing knives, maybe try emailing them and asking about it. From what I understand it's a relatively small family business, they may know everything you need to know. As for the steel, I have a muela Hornet, it's nice and sharp but as for edge holding I couldn't tell you, it's a dagger:)

Almost all Muela products made since at least the 80s have been of a molybdenum/chromium/vanadium stainless steel. IIRC, it is essentially the Spanish/European equivalent of 440A.

Even though this one is much earlier than the 90s, it is marked INOX, so I would bet that it is also a 440A equivalent SS.

The flat, oval, steel guard is typical of the 50s and early 60s Muelas.

This comment is based only on what Muelas I have seen for sale on fleabay that the sellers CLAIMED were from that era. Muela catalogs are as rare as hen's teeth so it is difficult to pin down when a particular model was produced. Even on their current web site, there are knives still shown that have not been made in several years. They just have N/A over the knife pic or they simply remove the knife select button so you can't add it to your shopping cart.

Some people claim that you can date a Muela to a time frame by the box it is in, but many of the boxes I have just have model labels stuck on them, not printed on them. It's almost as if they have a big pile of generic boxes and the shipping folks just stick a label on the box as the knife is boxed up. Who knows when small/large box orders ran out and were re-ordered.

Almost all Muela products made since at least the 80s have been of a molybdenum/chromium/vanadium stainless steel. IIRC, it is essentially the Spanish/European equivalent of 440A.

Even though this one is much earlier than the 90s, it is marked INOX, so I would bet that it is also a 440A equivalent SS.

The flat, oval, steel guard is typical of the 50s and early 60s Muelas.

This comment is based only on what Muelas I have seen for sale on fleabay that the sellers CLAIMED were from that era. Muela catalogs are as rare as hen's teeth so it is difficult to pin down when a particular model was produced. Even on their current web site, there are knives still shown that have not been made in several years. They just have N/A over the knife pic or they simply remove the knife select button so you can't add it to your shopping cart.

Some people claim that you can date a Muela to a time frame by the box it is in, but many of the boxes I have just have model labels stuck on them, not printed on them. It's almost as if they have a big pile of generic boxes and the shipping folks just stick a label on the box as the knife is boxed up. Who knows when small/large box orders ran out and were re-ordered.
Thank you. What I found is that Inox seems to just be an abbreviation for a French word meaning stainless steel. It took me a while to find the Muela website but I was able to email them. I wonder what the market is for this type of knife. I thought I would get a lot more replies on this forum.

Back