Antique New York Knife Company Knives and Company History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah Charles those are just exceptional examples!! Very nice photographs and staging also.:thumbup::thumbup:
Lloyd

Here is an easy open NYKC jackknife. 3.5 inches long. Hammered pins. The Hammer Brand Logo puts the knife in the the 1878-1932 date/year range. Probably 1920-1932. There is very little blade loss and the folder is in overall excellent condition. Remnants (faint) of blade etch is still visible on primary blade flat. The pen blade is marked New York Knife Co Walden.

Lloyd

Lloyd, what a BEAUTIFUL knife. What a treat it would be to carry and use such a fine knife. You have many impressive knives my friend:cool::thumbup:

Looky what came in the mail today! A new Barlow for "The Field". This old Hammer Brand from the New York Knife Company has certainly been well used and loved. It may be old and missing a lot of steel, but it's still a beautiful old knife to me. The tang stamps are almost completely worn away, but the walk and talk is smoot and snappy. Pull on the clip is about a 5 while the pull on the pen is about a 6. If anyone can date this old boy or has any other information on it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

BTM, very nice find! Those are super hard to find and highly sought after by collectors. The bolster marking is in the top three or so all time imo. The handle covers are gorgeous. Congratulations, Lloyd

A BEAUTIFUL knife to me too bt:cool::thumbup: I know many of us say it but wouldn't it be neat to know of the life it's led:thumbup:

Had to post here after stumbling onto this thread the other night. As a kid I spent a lot of time with my grandfather...he used to love going through his pocket knife collection and explaining various company stories....etc. He and I were always close...and I always loved when he would let me drag a box out and ask him about this knife or that.

One knife in particular was a New York Knife Company knife. As seen here.

The lettering is pretty worn away...but it was his favorite knife. Every single time he would see it...he would always brighten up and want to tell the story again. He had found it in a junk pile at a yard sale years ago in Northern Maine. The blade was heavily pitted by someone who had gutted a deer or something. The handle was destroyed. A few people had picked it up and tossed it back in when he got to the box and happily bought the soon to be work in progress. He made a new handle (something he loved doing most his life was fixing up older knifes) did his best to clean the blade (which if I say so myself...I think he did quite well for how it was always described as being in horrible shape) Anyway...I wanted to share....and thank you guys for all the info about the company. My grandfather passed away in 1995...and I sure do miss talking to him about knives. I'll keep this knife forever...means the world to me. Was really cool to find a discussion about this company to educate myself a little on it. All the best guys!

BeardedSteve

A priceless heirloom and talisman of your Grandfather! Thanks for sharing it with us :thumbup:

BeardedSteve.........That right there is what our hobby is all about. What a great piece of personal history you've got, hopefully it'll be around your family for generations to come.

Out of the heart of Dutchess County

33342659065_7b331c2c87_b.jpg

Beautiful folders and great photo Gev :thumbsup: Tell me more about that pearl handled tip bolstered folder. Thanks, Lloyd

Last edited:
Beautiful folders and great photo Gev:thumbup: Tell me more about that pearl handled tip bolstered folder. Thanks, Lloyd

It has the hammer brand stamping on the main but its worn so hard to date with the chart. All other blades stamped NYKCo Walden. Four blades; all snap well except for one pen. Coined liners and very finely crafted indeed. A picture is worth a thousand words. I've seen other exact specimens and would love to see an old catalog image and info

32652426450_c52fc22598_b.jpg

Thank you kindly, Lloyd

Charles, beautiful knives, beautiful staging and beautiful photo!! That Scimitar is just outstanding:thumbsup: Wonderful assemblage of vintage NYKC folder specimens! Thanks for posting, Lloyd

Charles that paperwork!! From Mr Bradley himself! That's right up there with the most incredible ephemera I've ever seen. Matches up with that amazing collection too. Is that scimitar the one Mike had? If so how did you ever pry it away? Has to be the most unique NYK ever! I am in awe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back