Antlered my Reti!

Bawanna

All the Reti talk around here finally gave me the push I needed to hang some antler on mine.

I'm liking it very much, got a good fit, feels good, haven't figured what I'm gonna do for a buttcap yet, the original I intended to use just won't work.
I'll think of something.

Here she be on the first evening.

I do love antler.....................

Man that is nice! I was planing to do that to my long Reti when I get it but might take me forever and a day to get to it? Maybe a wooden cap? I guess that wouldnt leave you anything to peen to tho? Sure looks great! You did good making it fit at the bolster. Thats prolly the hard part eh?

Hardest part was getting the horn handle off, probably the toughest one yet to get off. Got the cap off easy but the handle too a bit, got lucky with the fit, didn't take a whole lot to get it right. I was glad I managed to save the bolster, it was nip and tuck there for a bit.
I don't think I'll even need to peen it. It's rock solid with acra glas and it's a cutter not really a chopper. I don't think it's going anyplace.
It feels really good and is just a bit larger than the horn was, no regrets on this modification.

Yeah your prolly right on the strength. Once its glued in it aint goin nowhere im thinkin. Im gonna play with my long one for a while before I do anything with it but im like you with the antler. I love my antler too. I have a bunch of antler for slab stuff but for a job like that you just have to have the right piece to begin with eh? Reti aint made for chopping so that helps with the structural considerations. I like the larger girth handles too. You did an awesome job on that one. Did you boil it in bag or how did ya get the handle off? Ive removed scales no problem but ive yet to remove a tanged handle?

Last edited:
Man that looks freeking great brother, ya did good! Looks like it belongs there, have ya thought of possibly using some type of coin for the back plate? Dang man its a looker!!

It's pretty odd shaped to use a coin. I put some thin veneer wood on last night but I'm not pleased with the look.
I think that will come off and I'll try something else. I kind of want to leave the shape as much as I can as it keeps it in hand pretty nice. I might just make me a cap out of acraglas, throw some black die in and shape it a bit. Pondering.

I just used a heat gun to heat the horn up to get it off, filed the tang off and heated and got the cap off pretty easy. The rest was more challenging. If I was trying to save the handle the boil in a bag would be the way to go, the heat gun pretty much ruins the horn handle, it blisters and stuff with just a bit too much heat.

I never thought that I would like the feel of those thinner bladed Kuk's. I got a 18 inch Cobra recently in a "Batch" of Blades I bought and this Cobra might be my Favorite Blade PERIOD. Thats not a small statement because I have about 65 or 70 knives, swords , kuks and Ax'es !!! Aunty REALLY outdid anything I expected to receive. All the blades in the batch "4" were remarkable. I took them all out except the Baby and was wacking them Hard on branches , logs and some pressure treated planks and after about 100 HARD wacks each the Cobra and British issue didn't give a bit. No edge issues and they stayed sharp !!! I have to test my steel so I can trust it when I need too. The Cobra is really the surprise though in a great way. It would appear that it is like a 70 percent fighter and 30 percent "work" or field tool but thats ok. It is intimidating to look at and I have not doubt that with its length , speed and design, it would be fearsome as a weapon.

btw, I like that handle a lot. Stag antler is so very unique and has a timeless look to it.

I peeled off the little piece of veneer I didn't like much and added a little mound of acraglas with some brown dye. I have a bit more sanding to do to get rid of the voids, it's hard to mix it thoroughly enough to not have a void. I'm good as is but will try to make it a bit better.
Pictures aren't too clear for some reason, maybe I'm a lousy photographer?

I really like it! I wonder how antler scales would feel on a chopper?
Eric I’ve got some on several custom made Bowie’s I’ve chopped with. It depends on how polished they are. Mine feel absolutely great. It’s a very good grip, nonslip surface.

Back