Review Antonini Farm Knives

r8shell

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
One of the things I like about this forum is the enthusiasm shown for all kinds of knives. From the newest GEC releases, to customs, to antique and vintage knives, and even the humble everyday working knives. Here's a little review for the folks who are fans of rustic agricultural and utility knives.

I had a gift balance at an online retailer that sells everything, but of course I'ma buy knives with it. :D I did some browsing, and came across these farm and garden knives by Antonini made in Maniago, Italy. Carbon steel, brass liners, and bubinga wood handles.

I read some mixed reviews regarding the quality of these knives, but couldn't help myself and ordered three of them. A budding/grafting knife, one sold as a "lambfoot" which is actually more of a wharncliffe blade, and a pruner.
Antonini Farm knife set 1.jpg
I know these are inexpensive working knives, but I was still pretty disappointed by the fit and finish. The wharncliffe one isn't too bad, but as you can see in this picture, the tang/backspring interface on the other two is pretty bad.
Antonini Farm knife set 2.jpg
Blade centering is bad, with the blade rubbing the liners.
Antonini Farm knife set 4.jpg
And yet...The backsprings are good and firm, with a solid snap on opening. There is no wobble when open, a good solid feeling knife. I like the look and feel of the simple wood handles. Their website lists the steel as C67-70 carbon with HRC 54/56. So I expect to have to touch up them up pretty often, but it's very easy to get a keen edge on the chisel ground blades.

I'm going to use these knives for various tough chores around the house and see how well they hold up. I'm suspicious that those wonky pivots might develop play over time, so I'll give them a good workout and post updates.

Does anyone else have any Antonini Knives? How do you like them? Anyone have other inexpensive farm/garden type knives? Pictures are always welcome!

I used the pruner to cut down last year's tomato vines, and trimmed freeze damage from the baby agave plants. :) A few passes on a ceramic rod from time to time kept it cutting.
Antonini pruner 2 cropped.jpg Antonini pruner 3.jpg

Last edited:
They look just fine to me, rustic and a bit crude in spots but I'd suspect they've got it where it really matters for an agricultural knife.
Much like an inexpensive south American machete, from say imicasa.
Built to work and get dirty.

Last edited:
My two Old Bear Knives, as promised below. There is also a Large version. Since the Medium is the size of an Opinel 8, the larger one would never make it into my pocket.
Very Opinel-like friction folders, with a locking collar that runs inside the brass bolster.
FF437324-05FC-4678-8CB1-17E7335126AF.jpeg

In the middle is a small Antonini Old Bear, between the Mercator on the left and the Opinel 6 on the right. I have a medium Old Bear as well, which I will post as soon as my photos sync up from my phone.

As you can see, the small Old Bear is just a bit larger than the Opi 6, closer in size to a 7. The medium Old Bear is pretty close to the Opi 8. The Antonini lock ring runs inside the bolster, and takes less room in the pocket than the Opinel. The handle is flatter then the Opinel, especially the pommel, which does not to be slimmed in order to ride well in the pocket.

My medium Old Bear came with a wicked edge from Baryonyx. I had to spend a little time on the smaller blade, which had to come from another source.

I am not particularly fond of the walnut handles on the Antonini. The Opinels’ beechwood handles look brighter, and respond better to flame treatment.

7039D7A7-932F-4825-ACB0-9DD4AD0BABCF.jpeg 6D3C8C67-FA48-427E-AC9F-65A9D27EFC24.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice review, r8shell r8shell ! How do you think they compare to Opinel or MAM?
Thanks! I've never handled a MAM, so I can't give a comparison. Having a backspring and brass liners makes it a bit heavier than an Opinel.

Thanks! I've never handled a MAM, so I can't give a comparison. Having a backspring and brass liners makes it a bit heavier than an Opinel.
I've never handled a MAM either, but I have an Opinel #8 and I've held a #6. They are really light, but seem to have such a good design that they are hard to mess up. I was curious because I imagine the prices for the Opinel and MAM are similar to Antonini?

r8shell r8shell Thanks for the update. I have been eyeballing these since you posted them. I like 'em even better now that I know they have back springs. Keep us posted ....please. :)

One of the things I like about this forum is the enthusiasm shown for all kinds of knives. From the newest GEC releases, to customs, to antique and vintage knives, and even the humble everyday working knives.

Me too! Thanks for adding to the mix with your review. They look like interesting knives. I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions and experiences with them after you've put them through their paces for a while.

Thanks for the real-life review, Rachel. :thumbsup:
I look forward to further installments.

Thanks, r8shell r8shell ! I'm not going to lie, I let out a chuckle when I saw the backspring photo. I don't think I've ever seen a backspring curve like the one on the bottom of the photo. I will agree with others, though, in saying that they will probably last longer than the cockroaches!

Thanks, r8shell r8shell ! I'm not going to lie, I let out a chuckle when I saw the backspring photo. I don't think I've ever seen a backspring curve like the one on the bottom of the photo. I will agree with others, though, in saying that they will probably last longer than the cockroaches!
Speaking of cockroaches...this is the time of year to check all the seals around water pipes and window sills to keep the air conditioning inside, and the monsters outside.
The budding knife got drafted into utility duty, cutting tips off tubes of caulk, and weather stripping.
Antonini caulking .jpg
The pruner opened bags of mulch/soil, and trimmed stakes for the garden.
Antonini garden 2.jpg
The not-a-lambfoot cut my breakfast sausage and whittled a little stick.
Antonini whittle.jpg

After rinsing the dirt out of the pivots, they're fine. I must say, I rather like the chisel grind on the blades. I put 20 degrees on the bevel side, so they are thinner overall edged than I usually have on a pocket knife. Sure, they need a good stropping if I have any energy later, but they performed well. I admit that this weekend's chores are about the roughest treatment I give a knife. Maybe they wouldn't stand up to a day of cutting carpet, but that's not really what they are made for. (nor am I; I'm plumb tuckered out, off to take a shower and call it a day)

Speaking of cockroaches...this is the time of year to check all the seals around water pipes and window sills to keep the air conditioning inside, and the monsters outside.
The budding knife got drafted into utility duty, cutting tips off tubes of caulk, and weather stripping.
View attachment 870626
The pruner opened bags of mulch/soil, and trimmed stakes for the garden.
View attachment 870628
The not-a-lambfoot cut my breakfast sausage and whittled a little stick.
View attachment 870630

After rinsing the dirt out of the pivots, they're fine. I must say, I rather like the chisel grind on the blades. I put 20 degrees on the bevel side, so they are thinner overall edged than I usually have on a pocket knife. Sure, they need a good stropping if I have any energy later, but they performed well. I admit that this weekend's chores are about the roughest treatment I give a knife. Maybe they wouldn't stand up to a day of cutting carpet, but that's not really what they are made for. (nor am I; I'm plumb tuckered out, off to take a shower and call it a day)
Awesome.
I've got a day or two of reshingling the roof coming up in the next couple weeks or so and with this I'll probably be using my knives as roughly as I'm likely to.

A knife like these is perfect for such dirty work.

Nice to hear and see your inexpensive knives are doing good work, Rachel!
So, living a fair distance from the desert, in the rain forest, I don't see Agave. Please tell me why you garden Agave plants?? o_O
Do you brew them?:rolleyes:

One of the things I like about this forum is the enthusiasm shown for all kinds of knives.
That's right. You got it.
Those are cool. My favorite handle shape. Add some basic texture and I'm there.

Yes let us know what you find after use.
Heck my hard core looking 110 from back in the eighties, hardly been used and always with great respect, has pivot play. What ever; works great.

Nice to hear and see your inexpensive knives are doing good work, Rachel!
So, living a fair distance from the desert, in the rain forest, I don't see Agave. Please tell me why you garden Agave plants?? o_O
Do you brew them?:rolleyes:
I'm not sure if my agave plant is the same type they make tequila from. In fact there seem to be a number of varieties I see growing around here, and everyone just calls them "agave". A friend gave me one when I moved in this house, saying that she read you should plant spiky plants near downstairs windows to discourage "peepers" :eek: It works, because I stick myself on the sharp points on the leaves whenever I walk by it. :mad: I never water it, give it no attention at all. In fact I thought it had died over the winter, but a bunch of new leaves shot up, as well as some volunteers spreading around it. I only trimmed it the other day for a photo opportunity! :D

Last edited:
Back