Any 3/16 inch 6-7 inch blade Busse knives?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by wolverinealpha1, Apr 30, 2015.

1. wolverinealpha1

wolverinealpha1

Apr 6, 2010
    Plz post the photos. :)

I think I have boiled it down to the Skinny Ash1 and the SJTAC. They are so similar I guess the main difference would be the handle on the SJTAC looks like it has more room. I have large hands so that may make a difference.

Now I have to wait till Jerry decides we all need more SJTACs in circulation, and hope I have the funds available to snatch up a cool color scheme. ;)

2. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    Big hands, you'll probably be better served with the TAC handles. I fill up the Ash's handle area with a little wiggle room, and have something between medium and large hands.

3. wolverinealpha1

wolverinealpha1

Apr 6, 2010
    As an update to this post I've purchased two TGULB and am in tears of joy because Busse has finally made my holy Grail knife come true.

Freedom Pullo, AntDog, ScoMa and 5 others like this.
  4. Brian77

Brian77 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2014
    I have a 3/16 BG Steel Heart. It's for sale?

5. fbusmc

fbusmc

Jan 28, 2008
    Flak Jacks, Sjtacs, alpha dog, are all good carry blades

duramax likes this.
  6. wolverinealpha1

wolverinealpha1

Apr 6, 2010
    Is it for sale here? I looked at your profile but can't find it.

7. Stubai

Stubai

Mar 16, 2007
    Don't know if this fits your bill but what about a Rodent 7? For many moons I carried the Basic 9, but that dog gone Rodent 7 has changed my mind. Perfect fit for the long trek, excellent ergos coupled with a blade that is just about bullet proof! Kind of reminds me of the now long gone Camp Tramp.

Snag a Rodent 7 if you can find it!

8. inkynate

inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    Think this is it: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/infi-battle-grade-10-knives-updated.1667129/

The Battle Grades are all SR-101. Great stuff, but not sure if you were looking for INFI exclusively. If not, the Jackmandu is another one you may want to look into. Kind of Busse's 3/16th answer to the ESEE 6.

9. resinguy

resinguy

Feb 19, 2006
    Needed to search for a reminder of what an R7 even was. :rolleyes:

How does this compare to a Ratweiler? Either original or BG?

10. wolverinealpha1

wolverinealpha1

Apr 6, 2010
    i think I will be happy with the TGULB. If i was going to pick something up from here it would be INFI only.

11. luethge

luethge Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2017
    56B7C905-4F20-4BDB-BCDC-C7C0847CF4B9.jpeg

681D5B74-E735-4A0F-A78B-82A40E036E5C.jpeg

Skinny ASH ! Variety of stock .187 to .22 ish. If you can find one.. they are great knives.

I think there's one on the exchange right now...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  12. Stubai

Stubai

Mar 16, 2007
    Resinguy: The width on my BG Ratweiler is about 1/8th larger than the Rodent 7, but the blades are the same length and thickness. Handles have a different shape but somehow feel very similar. The Rodent 7 is just a tad lighter than the RW.

Of course, everyone has opinions about the ergos, but I like the way both of these knives feel. And, some may chime in to say that both of these are too heavy for long hiking trips. Both are very tough one-knife solutions that qualify as true survival knives.

luethge likes this.
  13. luethge

luethge Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2017
    Off topic ( sorry OP).

The handles on the R7 & R9 make a lot of sense once you hold them. Great knives ! This is probably blasphemy around here .. but , I prefer the R7 / R9 handles to the Ratweilers ( chopwieler feels great too ).

The R5 deserves a mention as well.. 5 + Blade , 3/16 , SR101 though.

14. resinguy

resinguy

Feb 19, 2006
    Can't disagree. I carry the Basic 8 LE in my hunting pack, but the Bussekin Universe offers many one-knife solutions.

15. Brian77

Brian77 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Yes. It's an old post. Pm for info

16. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Must be a hand size thing.
    I've handled R7 & R9 and they just didn't work for me.
    R4, the moment I took it into my hand I didn't want to put it down.
    R5... it's fine, but will never oust RMD

And as for Ratweiler's handle...

[​IMG]

360joules and luethge like this.
  17. nydude

nydude Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I'm a big fan of the Skinny Ash (medium hands). Great knife and it def is 3/16ths and they had magnum handles or at least mine does. I will say the swell on the tac handle hurts my palm a bit when chopping with the tank buster, but it may not with big bigger hands.

18. Garth Reckner

Garth Reckner Moderator Moderator

Dec 13, 2004
    Congrats on getting in on the TGULB. You will love them. Best of luck on your quest for the next one.

Garth

wolverinealpha1 likes this.