Any Better Quality Alternatives to Squirt and Dime?

Hi. I like carrying a small multitool with pliers. The Leatherman Squirt is okay for its size. The Gerber Dime has a few things going for it but plenty against too. I'm just wondering if there are better quality alternatives in the same class of small multitools.

I don't really care if it has a knife blade. Pliers are the primary draw. Scissors are handy. I'd like a cap lifter, a halfway decent file, maybe a couple drivers. The clam shell tool on the Dime is a cool idea but like the Dime's knife blade, the steel quality isn't great. These are popular little tools. Who makes a premium version?

The Squirt is probably the best option and the only alternatives I know are the absolutely worthless Chinese Gerbers like the dime vise or BG compact.

There was a cool little thing by IDL tools but I don't think they're still made and don't have scissors iirc.

For it's size, I don't think the Leatherman squirt has an equal. Small pocket size and effective tools for real world situations that arise unexpectedly. Not perfect, but it will do.

SOG might be an option for you. There's the CrossCut (scissors), Sync I and II (pliers based, no experience with them), and the now defunct CrossGrip. No idea about the build quality or the effectivity, but they're there.

Not perfect,
For me it could be if it were like a Micra with pliers.
Really a mica with pliers and the little scissors in place of the nail tool and keyring hole, heck the pliers are precise enough that I'd be fine if they had to nix the tweezers to do it.

I agree with everybody else. For the size and having pliers, the Squirt is the best out there.

SOG might be an option for you. There's the CrossCut (scissors), Sync I and II (pliers based, no experience with them), and the now defunct CrossGrip. No idea about the build quality or the effectivity, but they're there.

I had to watch some videos on the Sync. It looks interesting but overly complicated. Some tools lock and the ones that don't serve as the lock release for those that do. You can kind of use it as a ruler... I'm curious about retention. It basically uses a holster that doubles as a belt buckle, for people with the right kind of belt. Seeing someone attach it to the shoulder strap of a backpack was kind of cool. Of course, the 5Cr15Mov blade resonates with the topic issue here.

I can't attest to the quality, but REI often sells "Swiss+Tech" keychain MT's. There are a couple different models with pliers. They look to be sized in between the Squirt and the Juice pliers. Cabela's also has a keychain MT with pliers and light. Again, I can't attest to the quality, as I usually carry the Squirt or Juice.

Swiss+Tech:
1.0x0.jpg

Cabela's Mini Multi-Tool with LED:
51OF4ZzxAsL.jpg

Swiss+Tech ST50022:
718244v99UL._SL1500_.jpg

I can't attest to the quality, but REI often sells "Swiss+Tech" keychain MT's. There are a couple different models with pliers. They look to be sized in between the Squirt and the Juice pliers. Cabela's also has a keychain MT with pliers and light. Again, I can't attest to the quality, as I usually carry the Squirt or Juice.

Swiss+Tech:
1.0x0.jpg

Cabela's Mini Multi-Tool with LED:
51OF4ZzxAsL.jpg

Swiss+Tech ST50022:
718244v99UL._SL1500_.jpg

The Cabela's MT is garbage, they're a cheap generic Chinese tool available everywhere.
I had one that was a freebie promotional item and wish I hadn't bothered to take it.

I think that first tool is actually a copy of the IDL Tools / Seber tool T5.
This and the T10 were very popular options at one time and wish I had bought one.

Last edited:
I have the Swiss Tech pictured above. The pliers isn't as useful as the Squirt's. I choose to carry the Squirt. I want to look in person at some of the mini SOG offerings.

I don't have experience with one, but the SOG Power Pint looks like a great option. It may be just a little larger than the Squirt.

I looked at the newish SOG pliers based multi tool. They didn't have one loose that I could handle, so I just looked at it through the shoplifter packaging. Looks good, but it is much larger than the Squirt. I will probably get one down the road a bit. It runs around $45, so a lot more expensive than the Squirt and much heavier. Has a lot of tools.

Chronovore Chronovore Added 11/25/19: I received my SOG PowerPint. This multi-tool may work for you and satisfies most of your preferences. 3.2" closed length. A lot of the reasons for choosing a SOG is that I have found them to be well made multi-tools in the past.

It looks like a great tool actually, but it is no key chain multi-tool at 4.2 oz. It is certainly pocketable and has a clip. Very smooth mechanically. It of course is made in China for SOG. I believe I will be using this one! It is going to go into my daypack that I carry on hikes and rotate into my camera bag for small repairs which also gets carried on hikes. Would make a good tool to have along fishing. Has an eye glass sized screw driver which might come in handy and the usual stuff; serrated and plain blades, scissors, bit holder, file, awl, phillips and flat head screw drivers, bottle opener. SOG has a video on their site showing it.

Last edited:
Back