any bourbon drinkers here?

LMK how you like the little book! Its on the shelves here but i have not picked it up yet as i have blown my bourbon budget on lucky happenstances. I think a friend is going to pick one up so i will have a taste eventually anyhow.
The Little Book was alright but distinctly Jim Beam in tasting notes with lots of caramel and vanilla.
I'm not a big Beam fan and most of their offerings have that flavor that I'm not keen on. Doesn't mean I won't drink it but it's got the same dynamic as Wild Turkey in that if you put a glass of any "model" under my nose I can tell it's Turkey.
The Knob Creek has the same distinct Beam attributes but was superior to the Little Book.
Smooth and drinkable, I may take another sip of both tonight to make sure my palate wasn't a bit off.
And again, the High West Midwinter's Night Dram is just perfection in a rye. Find it and buy it! Highly recommended.

vffe6f.jpg

I am sipping some Wild Turkey Rare Breed this evening. I have never tried it before. Still forming an opinion.

I am sipping some Wild Turkey Rare Breed this evening. I have never tried it before. Still forming an opinion.
THAT will be the next bottle I open... I'm pretty sure I've got one stashed downstairs.

This is the 112.8 proof version, not the new-for-2017 116.8 stuff in the new bottle.

My opinion - I started sipping it neat, but it was a bit too bold for that. However, a little ice made all the difference.

The 112.8 proof is what I had on hand. I hadn't even noticed that they changed it from the 108 proof. I'm disappointed that they don't list the batch information now - I was trying to keep a list of my favorites, so I could wait & buy from the same aging location. They're probably doing larger batches, to keep the taste more uniform. (well, that's my guess, anyway)

The 112.8 proof is what I had on hand. I hadn't even noticed that they changed it from the 108 proof. I'm disappointed that they don't list the batch information now - I was trying to keep a list of my favorites, so I could wait & buy from the same aging location. They're probably doing larger batches, to keep the taste more uniform. (well, that's my guess, anyway)
I was mistaken - the bottle I have is the new 116.8 proof version, at least according to the sticker on it. But the bottle is the older style from the 112.8 version.

I was mistaken - the bottle I have is the new 116.8 proof version, at least according to the sticker on it. But the bottle is the older style from the 112.8 version.

Thats the bottle i have also. I am about finished with mine and i will say it finishes better then it starts:thumbsup: i have been drinking on it since early summer IIRC

2njkrk0.jpg

Yup, that's the stuff. I need to get some of those nice Glencairn glasses.

I've got Glencairn (and Le Whiskey)...I find myself grabbing a snifter more often than not; and they're on the same shelf.

Trying my first bottle of Buffalo Trace. It's a little less expensive than what I have been drinking recently, which is fine with me. I like it.

Guess I will track down a couple more bourbons now...that Eagle Rare looks interesting

I don't have time to read all ( so much for the thread title) ;). My fav is Jim Beam single barrel, my budget is Bulleit. :thumbsup:

Relaxing with some Four Roses Small Batch.

Found myself wondering if I have any Henry McKenna Single Barrel left from last year... if not, I'll have to buy a case.

You guys are such a good influence on me. :)

Right now I'm enjoying some Woodford Reserve (second pour of the evening) after some 1792 Small Batch.

Still enjoying Buffalo Trace as my daily. Couldn't find it near my sister's place last weekend, so picked up a bottle of Bulleit (just the standard Bourbon.) I really like their Rye.
The regular bourbon is good - I'd buy it over Eagle Rare, but take Buffalo Trace over it, for about the same price. Plenty of spice - she noticed cinnamon, in particular.

Ran out of Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve again.
Can replace it easily enough, but the stores nearest me are out right now, so I was thinking of trying something new in the $50 range.

What can you tell me about Basil Hayden's? (small batch, I think).
And has anybody tried Angel's Envy? I thought it was kind of a gimmick, but most of the reviews are quite positive and Port is a popular after dinner beverage in my household.
Trying to decide between these two for my next exploration.

Still enjoying Buffalo Trace as my daily. Couldn't find it near my sister's place last weekend, so picked up a bottle of Bulleit (just the standard Bourbon.) I really like their Rye.
The regular bourbon is good - I'd buy it over Eagle Rare, but take Buffalo Trace over it, for about the same price. Plenty of spice - she noticed cinnamon, in particular.

Ran out of Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve again.
Can replace it easily enough, but the stores nearest me are out right now, so I was thinking of trying something new in the $50 range.

What can you tell me about Basil Hayden's? (small batch, I think).
And has anybody tried Angel's Envy? I thought it was kind of a gimmick, but most of the reviews are quite positive and Port is a popular after dinner beverage in my household.
Trying to decide between these two for my next exploration.
Here's some informative reading for everyone on this thread: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/best-whiskey-spirits-from-mpg.html#comments-204389
Check out the comments on the bottom as well for some further explanation and valid-ish arguments.

Some of the whiskies produced with the MGP juice are fantastic, some are not.
I tend to gravitate towards brands that I know where and how they are produced.

Back