any bourbon drinkers here?

The WLR is good, but if you had ever tasted the orignal "wine bottle"19 year old Weller which was available for under $50 a bottle even in Florida because nobody really knew what it was outside of central Kentucky, you would cry and then slit your wrists for overpaying for the new stuff. ;) By the time we found out that the stuff was just a very limited batch made from some barrels that the Weller folks had essentially been playing with to see how long it would age, the stuff was long gone. The problem is that unlike Scotch, you can't just make more of the really old stuff because bourbon is a "fast aging" booze because they use new charred barrels. It can be consumed with no ill effector funny facial expressions after as little as 2 years, whereas scotch, which is aged in "used"barrels, looks like VERY weak tea after 2 years. It takes a kind of perfect storm to get most bourbon to keep improving after about 12 years. A lot of bourbon is as good as it is ever going to get after 5-7 years.
The William Larue Weller.
Hands down favorite.
Issue is, they just need to make more of the stuff to keep the price reasonable.
I know the distributor price and what the stores are gouging for it.
Ridiculous markup.

IMG_0624.JPG
Here is another semi-unicorn. When the Stitzl-Weller distillery closed up shop in 1992 and the Weller, Van Winkle and Old Fitzgerald brands migrated over to the new Diageo Berheim distillery and eventually to Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill (Old Fitzgerald), there was still a fair amount of Stitzl-Weller hooch in the warehouses. Buffalo Trace got most of it eventually and that is what you have been drinking if you bought any of the really old Van Winkle or WLR or if you happen to have any Very Old Weller, the high proof stuff that came in the red velvet bag, or Old Fitzgerald bottled befored 1997 or 2000.. The newer stuff is Buffalo Trace. BUT, some of that hooch was somehow bought by Jeffersons at least 6 years after it was distilled and 5 years after the distillery closed and that is what this 18 year old and the 19 year old Presidential was. Jefferson wasn't even founded until 1997 yet they have some who been able to buy onobtanium NOS booze on more than one occasion for their special bottlings. It came out a couple of years ago and was sold for like 50 bucks. I can't figure out who had it hidden away because the stuff was bottled or at least taken out of he barrels in 2009-2010, but we didn't see it until like 2014. . Once people heard the rumor, it was gone never to be seen again. My brother and I managed to find 7 or 8 bottles at Total Wine. Not as good as the legendary 19 year old Weller, but probably in the same class as the 18 year old WLR or at least damn close and not $700-800 a bottle on the "secondary"market. ;) I wonder if this stuff was originally slated to become the Very Old Fitzgerald blend? The original 19 year old Weller supposedly started off as barrels of white dog intended to be 10 year old Very Old Weller and the guys at the distillery just kept letting the good barrels age to see what they would do.

Last edited:
My first taste of Pappy 23 was almost 20 years ago and it was sublime. A very different 23 year old is being offered now, thanks for some explanation.
I knew the distilleries and stock were bought and moved. Pappy was pretty much unavailable for a while, maybe 4-5 years in my area if memory serves me.
I was talking with a fellow afficianado last week and he's got 2 of those bottles from that era unopened on his bar. I need friends like that.

My first taste of Pappy 23 was almost 20 years ago and it was sublime. A very different 23 year old is being offered now, thanks for some explanation.
I knew the distilleries and stock were bought and moved. Pappy was pretty much unavailable for a while, maybe 4-5 years in my area if memory serves me.
I was talking with a fellow afficianado last week and he's got 2 of those bottles from that era unopened on his bar. I need friends like that.

Amen. I know a local family will hat have been part of the bourbon scene for over 40 years. They have a collection that would make us all cry. I am trying to convince them that I am a long lost nephew and get into the will. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not exactly bourbon, I know, but Jack Daniels had to lay off a shift when I quit drinking 25 years ago...

Cheers/bg

As a European, I can't claim expertise when talking about your American Whiskey/Bourbon. Plus it's expensive here around 40 USD or more a bottle.:eek:

But I like it.:D:D Never liked Scotch at all, just can't stand the taste and I've tried numerous types:barf: But that Bourbon, damn! I like it on its own, on ice, with mineral water (what JR used to call Branch Water on 'Dallas' I think?) make a kind of whiskey sour with it using a very sharp tart lemonade you can get here with a slice or else with Ginger Ale. All good!:thumbup:

This one has captured my attention lately.

IMG_4339.jpg

Thanks, Will

As a European, I can't claim expertise when talking about your American Whiskey/Bourbon. Plus it's expensive here around 40 USD or more a bottle.:eek:

But I like it.:D:D Never liked Scotch at all, just can't stand the taste and I've tried numerous types:barf: But that Bourbon, damn! I like it on its own, on ice, with mineral water (what JR used to call Branch Water on 'Dallas' I think?) make a kind of whiskey sour with it using a very sharp tart lemonade you can get here with a slice or else with Ginger Ale. All good!:thumbup:

This one has captured my attention lately.

IMG_4339.jpg

Thanks, Will

If you like that one try the 10 year it is even better.

If you like that one try the 10 year it is even better.

What jt said:thumbup: it gets mixed reviews due to it being priced higher but i do prefer it over the orange label. If i had to claim a default bourbon it would be the 10yr. not saying its the best by any means just very solid

0ab151b06b9d418f87a9140d36394d65.jpg

Picked up this one on the way home today to give a try

What jt said:thumbup: it gets mixed reviews due to it being priced higher but i do prefer it over the orange label. If i had to claim a default bourbon it would be the 10yr. not saying its the best by any means just very solid

I agree. Well said.

That four roses is tempting but i will likely go for a antique collection if i get a chance Based on one of barmans posts the william larue weller

NC has state run stores and the mailing list is for mecklenburg county ABC

they used to send out emails and it was first respond first serve but now it looks like they randomly pick from the mailing list and if you are chosen and respond then you are entererd into a lottery for a chance to purchase

i am on a couple list but this is the only email list. The other is a in store list which i have some other things reserved. Its a 4 year wait but what the heck in 4 years ill be a happy i signed up

Back