any bourbon drinkers here?

I tried Jefferson Ocean once; and picked up on the salt in the finish of my first sip...and it came in more quickly with subsequent sips (maybe because I was waiting for it?). Glad I didn't buy that bottle, because it would have been relegated to cocktails.

yep, thats exactly how it happened to me. first sip had a slight briney finish and two or three sips in was full on salt bourbon:thumbsdown:

its maybe the second glass of whiskey ive had that i dumped down the drain! i am going to try it on ice and see if that makes a difference

Jim Beam is my go to but my guilty pleasure is Blanton's. Little known fact, if you get all of the different toppers that Blanton's uses and line them up they will either resemble a horse race or......... you'll go back in time. Be warned

Jim Beam is my go to but my guilty pleasure is Blanton's. Little known fact, if you get all of the different toppers that Blanton's uses and line them up they will either resemble a horse race or......... you'll go back in time. Be warned
Sort of...
The Blanton's bottle tops spell B,L,A,N,T,O,N,S and when arranged in that order show the horse and rider in one full stride.

On another note, I just finished a bottle of 4 Roses Elliotts Select.
Google it, find it, and do yourselves a huuuuge favor and buy it!

I keep tabs on a whiskey reviewer that loves elliots select also. Unfortunately NC ABC does a lottery on its specialty bourbons so unless i win the lottery i may never try it as i cannot have alcohol shipped into NC:(

Ill take your word for it though and keep enjoying my regular four roses SB :thumbsup:

I keep tabs on a whiskey reviewer that loves elliots select also. Unfortunately NC ABC does a lottery on its specialty bourbons so unless i win the lottery i may never try it as i cannot have alcohol shipped into NC:(

Ill take your word for it though and keep enjoying my regular four roses SB :thumbsup:
I did a search and found some that will ship to me but I think I'll wait till the 2017 version seeing as the 2016 is 300 plus/bottle right now.
I'd pay that but seeing as I'm still sort of working off the hangover from that 2016 that I finished last night I'm not as enthused as I need to be to order one.
I also came across a William Larue Weller 13 year old annual release for 800 a bottle and really think I may pull the trigger.
Kills my knife budget but it's really that good.

NYS no longer allowing shipments of liquor has been a pain in the a$$. I've got a local shop willing to special order some of my favorites; but there's stuff they can't get, and they've followed the trend of crazy prices on limited releases.

NYS no longer allowing shipments of liquor has been a pain in the a$$. I've got a local shop willing to special order some of my favorites; but there's stuff they can't get, and they've followed the trend of crazy prices on limited releases.
I'm in NY as well but found some shops using Winesearcher that ship within the state.
We also have friends around these forum parts that maybe willing to do some out of state transactions? I've done that before.

Taking a detour from Scotch andbtrying some new things this year.
Wild Turkey 101 didn't suck nearly as badly as I expected.
Woodford Reserve is a much better shooter than sipper. Every sip the bitterness and astringency comes to the fore. Slammed- you get it overwith and enjoy the lingering taste of cookies.
Knob Creek 100 was quite decent either way.
Bulleit Bourbon doesn't excite me, but I love their Rye.
Knob Creek Reserve is potent and delicious. And is my new go-to.

Is Larceny a Bourbon? I found it quite tasty.

Had to polish off a bottle of Four Roses that was gifted to my FiL. I found it unremarkable. After all the great reviews, was expecting more. But it was the regular 95p stuff.

Last edited:
Taking a detour from Scotch andbtrying some new things this year.
Wild Turkey 101 didn't suck nearly as badly as I expected.
Woodford Reserve is a much better shooter than sipper. Every sip the bitterness and astringency comes to the fore. Slammed- you get it overwith and enjoy the lingering taste of cookies.
Knob Creek 100 was quite decent either way.
Bulleit Bourbon doesn't excite me, but I love their Rye.
Knob Creek Reserve is potent and delicious. And is my new go-to.

Is Larceny a Bourbon? I found it quite tasty.

Had to polish off a bottle of Four Roses that was gifted to my FiL. I found it unremarkable. After all the great reviews, was expecting more. But it was the regular 95p stuff.

Larceny is a bourbon and i like it also but like you said about the 4R its unremarkable to me. I think the srandard 4R is good but the SB is tasty. Nothing special but very good. Did you try the standard bulleit or 10 yr? The standard is standard but 10 yr is soo much better. WT101 is one of my staples. I reccomend you try buffalo trace on the rocks, eagle rare neat and blantons neat. I prefer wheated bourbons so standard weller and makers mark on ice are my go to summer drinks for bourbon. I also like blonde and doc porter both young and different but im not sure of availablity outside NC as they are both local craft outfits

Barman1 Barman1 william larue weller is one of my grail bottles along with jeffersons presidential select. Id be willing to give a pretty penny for either

i had a pour of a recent release of barrel bourbon at a bar and it lived up to the hype. Id be more willing to pay the $90 bottle now

Larceny is a bourbon and i like it also but like you said about the 4R its unremarkable to me. I think the srandard 4R is good but the SB is tasty. Nothing special but very good. Did you try the standard bulleit or 10 yr? The standard is standard but 10 yr is soo much better. WT101 is one of my staples. I reccomend you try buffalo trace on the rocks, eagle rare neat and blantons neat. I prefer wheated bourbons so standard weller and makers mark on ice are my go to summer drinks for bourbon. I also like blonde and doc porter both young and different but im not sure of availablity outside NC as they are both local craft outfits

Barman1 Barman1 william larue weller is one of my grail bottles along with jeffersons presidential select. Id be willing to give a pretty penny for either

Had BT for the first time last night, but in a Smash. Drink was delicious, but could hardly taste the bourbon.
Putting this here so I can recall your recommendations. Thanks!

Picked up a bottle of the Buffalo Trace. Only $25 makes it a bargain in my book.
Has most of the taste of the Knob Creek Reserve, without the wallop.
Haven't even tried it over rocks yet. Just neat. Shared with friends. On second bottle now.
Looking for Eagle Rare. Haven't found it yet.

I've got a bottle of Weller Special Reserve that I just bought last week, first time I've tried it. It is really good, and costs about $25 per bottle, which is a little less than my usual price range. It's definitely going to be a regular in my "rotation" assuming I can find it easily.

Picked up a bottle of the Buffalo Trace. Only $25 makes it a bargain in my book.
Has most of the taste of the Knob Creek Reserve, without the wallop.
Haven't even tried it over rocks yet. Just neat. Shared with friends. On second bottle now.
Looking for Eagle Rare. Haven't found it yet.

Buffalo trace sat at the back of my cabinet until a buddy told me to try it on ice and i went from a bottle a year to a bottle a month lol! Eagle rare is perfect neat imo. I have tried it on ice and it does not hold up to the dilution IMO

I've got a bottle of Weller Special Reserve that I just bought last week, first time I've tried it. It is really good, and costs about $25 per bottle, which is a little less than my usual price range. It's definitely going to be a regular in my "rotation" assuming I can find it easily.

I have been lucky and scored all three wellers in the past couple months! A friend sourced the SR and 12 yr for me so when i came across the 107 a few weeks ago i took it right over to his house to show my appreciation. He says the 12 year shines among the three but we have different taste in whisky so im betting the 107 is my fav but we will see! I did pick up a half gallon of weller SR in a small farm town in nebraska last week while backpacking for $42 so im very happy about having that:thumbsup:

A friend did pick some OGD 114 up for me recently and its a awesome bourbon for whopping $25 price tag!

Michters bourbon and American whiskey are at the top of my list little on the pricey side for a daily pour at 43$ here in NC

the "good stuff' is starting to arrive around here! anyone picked up anything special recently?

some antique collection is already on the second market locally!! i swear some of these ppl only buy whiskey to flip it it seems

Only been back on bourbon for a short time; but I've started/finished two bottles: Bowman Brothers and Kentucky Spirit.

As far as the limited edition stuff - I love some of it... but the local (to me) shops have gone absolutely crazy with pricing; and the stuff just isn't worth what they're charging for it. (Besides, some recent changes have made my income not so disposable for the next few months...things aren't so tight that I'm not going to drink, lol; but I'll be content to hang out in the $30-60/ bottle range unless a special treat comes my way)

34rujbc.jpg

My BT products. This is over a years worth of effort with help from friends! i am proud to say every bottle pictured i paid retail. While i may complain about state run stores its not all bad:)

Back