Any chance of a Spyderco Megafolder?

. . . and it could be carried openly in many places where one would not carry it concealed.

We're slipping back and forth between at least two topics here.

One is the reasoning behind the design and usage of the Gunting, for which we have another thread or two, but topic drift happens.

The other is the MegaSpydie using maybe the same terribly strong lock mechanism, for which we pant, lust, and drool, though we have not yet gotten our hot little hands on a bunch of other Spydercos whose prototypes are going public between SHOT Show past and Blade Show to come. Since Bram is a designer of short bladed folders, I would not be surprised if the MegaSpydie, if there is a MegaSpydie, ends up designed by someone else.

Martial arts are not my department, so I can't comment on how well the Gunting horn (hmmmmm . . . does "Gunting" sound like some sort of tropical ruminant that would have horns?
smile.gif
?)
or the Gunting grip would work when stretched into a megafolder. My much more general MegaSpydie vision is a heavy-duty but compact cutting tool for, among others:

1 - Soldiers in the field, who for killing have rifles and a radio to call in artilery, but who could use a knife that will work under abusive conditions, and also work as a weapon if everything has gone wrong, or

2 - Outdoorspersons in the wet wild wood, who might want a knife on the belt that doesn't ride too high or too low, but can help build a fire or a shelter, and maybe fillet a large salmon, or

3 - Eccentric knife mavens confronting crusty bread, and

4 - Also work for the "bigger is better" school of martial bladecraft.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 04-06-2000).]

I've designed many big knives..some of which would suprise you I'm sure..
The original handle was being massaged by me and I couldn't get the handle's butt correctly. Owen Wood who not only does R&D for SPYDIE these days but is one of the worlds best custom knife makers, helped me finalize the handle...I'm really proud to say that Owen actually worked on my knife with me and had DIRECT input and helped me with the final handle..
The spoon clip is a group effort while we ate lunch while I was doing the knife..came from spinning a spoon doing dexterity drills..( no knives left on the table..so I grabbed a spoon..) I do dexterity drills while I think..
Ewok..I believe it was asked about my/ our new lock, if it would support a bigger blade.. as well as the use of my design for a handle..if IT would support a bigger blade in it..And I don't remember any mention of the SIFU..in the opening thread...and I've had these discussions BEFORE about MEGA-folders and there place in life....
Soo since its now stated this is for Sal...not me..hey..no problem..I'm out of here!
Have a great day!

This thread is a shining example of the "good witch" aspect of BF, vs the recently experienced "bad witch" aspect, personified by the burlap guy.
James still has the silver tongue and the rest of you guys are no slouches either.
I support Jim's desire for a Spydie megafolder, whether it can be legaly carried or not, after all, we are "collectors", right ?
biggrin.gif

Brian

------------------
Buck Collectors Club Member # 572
Knifeknut (means I collect everything else not included above ;))(just ask my wife)

Jim M.
i think you are missing the point about teh GUNTING.megafolder are cool in their own right,and yes i would also put some in my collection as well,but i saw very few people managing to carry one in their front pocket of the jeans.
the GUNTING has some width to it, and if it came in "5.5" it would be a monster to carry. and last thing the GUNTING is supposed to be used closed as much as open as a impact weopon and for limb distruction and presure points carried from several technics of martial arts,you have to see it [and feel it !!]in a demonstration to really understand,and somehow i don't think that with a handle of a megafolder that is at least "5" long you will be able to proform all these cool stuff.
now making a megafolder that's another question,but being a knife distibuter for several major brands..the decision by spyderco not to make them is economicaly sound,in my view.
sal is one of the most avid knife nut i ever met and the fact he is not making BIG folders has to do much to buissines and not politics same goes for Bram.
scorpio.

Hi Jim. Welcome back. Yes the lock will hold it. Whether or not we elect to make one for "collectors only" is still a question.

Perhaps in the future. No plans at this time.

sal

Back