Any chipping on 20cv or 154cm? Any rust on new d3v?

I have a 4.1 in 20CV and haven't had any issues. The harder tasks I've done were some chopping on small diameter wood, batoning, side splitting. I've had no chipping, rolling, or any sort of edge damage.

No rust issues with D3V here. I think anything short of salt water and you'll be good to go.

I've used my 4.7 and 5.1 in 20cv without any chipping issues after taking them from the snow to the desert. Doing the usual wood prep for fires and normal camp chores. If you do let the 20cv edge dull it is a pain in the neck to get the edge back on compared to 3v and D3V with field sharpening tools. I've taken my 4.1 in D3V snowshoeing, to the desert, and took it out this past weekend on an overnighter backpacking trip in the Tahoe National Forest. I was surprised how little snow there was left on the ground at 5,500-6,000 feet, but once you went beyond that point the snow was still 3 feet or deeper. We ended up staying at the lower elevation because I had two inexperienced individuals with me, so figured we'd make it enjoyable for their first time. The D3V is much more corrosion resistant than the old PHT heat treat on the 1st generations. However, the PHT on the Gen 2 models pre D3V have also had good corrosion resistance as well for me. I brought the 4.1 in D3V and a CPK EDC in D3V as well. Didn't have any corrosion or edge performance issues on this trip or any previous trips either.

Nice update, really great pictures!
When the pines are in standing water you know that it was a wet winter.

Nice update, really great pictures!
When the pines are in standing water you know that it was a wet winter.

Thanks Fancier! I haven't seen pines in standing water for a looong time. The nice thing was there was also a ton of fallen dead wood everywhere because of the snow and fairly severe storms. My Silky, Small Forest axe, and knives had plenty of wood to play with. We ended up leaving enough for a few extra nights for the next group that decides to camp there. :)

Exactly what I was thinking. Tahoe is brim full!! Thanks for the pictures supertac.

Anytime HK! Unfortunately, I didn't bring a bunch of blades with me to test because I wasn't sure what the conditions were going to be. I brought my winter gear as well for just in case, but ended up leaving the sled, snowshoes, extra layers, and several other things back in the truck. Had to make some last second adjustments, since I brought a smaller pack assuming I'd use my sled to drag some heavier gear. It was surprisingly warm with a high of 72 degrees and lows of 41-42 degrees at night. The wind chill wasn't bad either once the sun went down. Oh well, had a blast and set the hook for a few more to get into the outdoors and of course the importance of having a quality blade with you.

I had some chipping on my 2.7 , it was definitely because I put a crazy angle on it , (accidentally ) but since I put a 20 degree secondary on it ,no problems

Back