Any Clue What I Have Here?

oldmanwilly

Gold Member
Hi there,

I have had this little CRK folder for roughly 12 years and am curious to find out exactly what it is. I obtained it in a trade with a friend while in high school and carried it in my watch pocket for a few years before stuffing it in a box for the last decade.

Here are the dimensions:
Blade: 2 3/8"
Overall: 5 3/8"

Does anybody know what this model is or whether it is legitimate? I am contemplating selling it to fund other purchases but want to know what I have before listing it. Any information would be appreciated.

More pics:
me8Jha8.jpg

umbB6bb.jpg

Last edited:
Thank y'all for the quick replies, it is nice to be able to put a name to it. Now I have to figure out whether I should keep it for my collection or move it along.

I traded a (now discontinued) Kershaw R.A.M. for it sometime between 2008-2009. Judging by the responses I have gotten I think this may be the first time I came out ahead on a knife investment. Hopefully it will not be the last time.

I traded a (now discontinued) Kershaw R.A.M. for it sometime between 2008-2009. Judging by the responses I have gotten I think this may be the first time I came out ahead on a knife investment. Hopefully it will not be the last time.

You did really, really, really well. It's a very nice knife. They discontinued the Umfaan quite some time ago and it has become a coveted collector's item since, and it's also a valued carry knife. Your particular knife appears to have a good bit of wear. You can send it back to the CRK factory and they will give it a basic restorative service that will cost you nothing. That includes sharpening and reblasting the rear side of the handle and tuning/replacing hardware if needed. Further, they can issue a new birth card certifying the authenticity of the knife. The new birth card is probably the key component here as it gives prospective buyers direct documentation from the maker that says the knife is genuine.

Additionally, CRK can re-anodize (if that model was originally anodized...IIRC some of the Umfaans with this design were but not all) and polish the front of the knife for a fee.

P pnsxyr , thank you for the advice re the spa treatment. I might have to do that if I choose to sell.

Out of curiosity, would you be willing to opine how much of a discount would be necessary if I choose not to send it back to CRK for tune-up? I assume it would be difficult to sell it at all without the official paperwork.

P pnsxyr , thank you for the advice re the spa treatment. I might have to do that if I choose to sell.

Out of curiosity, would you be willing to opine how much of a discount would be necessary if I choose not to send it back to CRK for tune-up? I assume it would be difficult to sell it at all without the official paperwork.

I think it depends very significantly on the individual buyer, ranging from no effect whatsoever to outright not being willing to buy it regardless of the price. I've handled a few Umfaans but have never personally owned one as the stars did not align. For me, personally, it would be dependent on the medium. I'd be more hesitant to buy one listed on that auction site without paperwork, but much more willing to buy if listed on BladeForums or ACK (or another AD).

Ultimately, I think it will be incredibly easy to sell with or without paperwork/spa service.

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

I spoke with a rep at Chris Reeve Knives and we determined that it would be beneficial to at least send it in for authentication and cleaning. Assuming that it is the real deal, I am torn on whether I should also have them re-sharpen it and polish the blade & handles. Are CRK's analogous to antique firearms in that collectors do not want to see honest patina removed?

When y'all say "original" does that mean I shouldn't even clean it (i.e., remove dust/lint from the pivot and other crevices)?

I would send it to CRK and let them authenticate, tune, and sharpen it before trying to sell. This will make it easier to move and put people at ease because they would know for sure it is the real deal.

Thank y'all for the advice. I truly appreciate each of the responses in this thread and your patience for my naivete in nearly all things related to CRK. I will send in my Umfaan for an updated birth certificate and a little cleaning but will not permit any cosmetic repairs. In the meantime I will decide whether this will serve as my entry point in a CRK collection or be moved along to someone who might enjoy it more.

Much obliged,
WW

Back