Any collectors left? Any new ones?

Kohai999

Second Degree Cutter
Hi all,

I started collecting knives and continue for the love of caretaking and amassing the best hand made meeting of art and craft that I could and can afford....the people met along the way have been an unexpected and delightful bonus.

Any "real" diehard collectors? Sound off!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Interesting question. By some accounts yes. Compared to others maybe a bit casual. I buy what I find interesting from makers who use materials and have a style I like.

Life and division of hobbies mean knives do not get my main attention.

Greg Abousleman

I recently amassed an extensive collection of books by David Darom. So far no blades that would merit inclusion in those books.
A couple of mine would....most wouldn't. I think people know if they are collectors or not...and there are many varieties of collector. As an example, I abhor miniatures...but they are knives and people who collect them collect knives...

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

A couple of mine would....most wouldn't. I think people know if they are collectors or not...and there are many varieties of collector. As an example, I abhor miniatures...but they are knives and people who collect them collect knives...

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson
Well, I'm at least an accumulator. I'm a hobbiest maker averaging about 10-15 blades per year lately, and I never sell them. I also buy some occasionally if they are particularly interesting.

STeven

good to see you around!

I am still around....and collecting...to a degree :)

my wife has decided we need to "downsize" now that our kids have moved on, so I'm trying to downsize my collection as well - but it's hard to decide what to move :)

I joined BF over 10 years ago in search of a fine custom drop point hunter. I now own over 50 of them and when I sell one, I then buy 3 more. I don't consider myself a collector, but I could be in denial.

First sign of Knife Collectoritis is Denial..and hiding new puchases from your s/o.

Best Regards,

Steven Garsson

Last edited:
STeven -- where the heck have you been? Great to see you back and posting. A few of the folks I have seen over the years are still here. I don't post very much and read here some but collecting has really slowed and likely will not get to a knife show again as time has passed and both of us don't move around as well anymore and there are no more local shows since 2015.
Still have our collection and love to sit and handle a knife or two like I did tonight. Lots of makers from the past have passed and many new ones I don't know at all. It has been fun for 40 1/2 years though. Hope to see more from those I do know. Welcome home!

I will note that THIS forum is fairly limited in scope.

Collectors NOT here have amassed TONS of 'tactical' folders which have been a rage for the past 10-15 years. The prices that these folders sell for is staggering. And there appear to be many opportunities/collectors for these makers to sell to.

This is probably the ONLY area of collecting which BF is deficient, yet it is HUGE. So there are plenty of 'diehard collectors'. Just not here. ;)

And.... they place a big premium on relationships with these makers. As they should.

Good thread STeven. Provocative.

Back