Any collectors left? Any new ones?

Ha! Not so Grasshopper...I have hundreds of Custom Tactical Folders my friend...I don’t post them here because, as you say, there’s no ‘audience’ :D

'Grasshopper'... ! o_O Oh, how the mighty have fallen.... :p

Dudley maybe you can shed more light on this field?

Sidebar: Chef's knives in the past 5 years have gone skyrocket in appeal. Are they primarily a Collectors market or Users market?

Been collecting mostly Harsey custom and production work for years now. Managed to pick up Harsey made Applegate-Fairbairn Smatchet 001 a couple of years ago. The rest of the collection is fairly random and many get used, but smatchet no 1 and the Harsey made prototype for the CRK Neil Roberts are going to stay safe and unused.

As far as chef knives, picked up one from David lisch at Fisk's microshow and use it often. Won a utility kitchen knife from Andrew Miers and it gets used pretty regular as well.

Well, I'm at least an accumulator. I'm a hobbiest maker averaging about 10-15 blades per year lately, and I never sell them. I also buy some occasionally if they are particularly interesting.

Like the above minus some talent.
Also I am too cheap to buy a real nice custom, the Behring knife I looked at in Solvang long ago didn't get purchased due to the around 300 price.
So instead I spent thousands to make my own customs and forget about the time spent, I have a great hobby but probably should have just got the Behring knife.
James

-My greatest pleasure to rediscover the old ones, the first forgotten steps. Because each time there is a story and a memory that goes with it. In fact a dating story

Last edited:
I've been collecting since I was 18 years old, but it began with art, starting with pieces from the family, then on to more. I started collecting art knives about 25 years ago, but limit myself today, on knives, to just a very few each year.

Excellent thread, STeven!

Like the above minus some talent.
Also I am too cheap to buy a real nice custom, the Behring knife I looked at in Solvang long ago didn't get purchased due to the around 300 price.
So instead I spent thousands to make my own customs and forget about the time spent, I have a great hobby but probably should have just got the Behring knife.
James

I've heard it said, the most expensive knife is the one (or ones) you make yourself. :D

I’m really trying to stop

my kids have no interest and it will just all be a mess to get rid of

over the years I’ve collected to much stuff cars , bikes , guns , swords , pens , bows , fishing equipment etc

it’s time to slow down and I’ve been really trying to stop buying knives and guns especially

I have two commissions out

one a sword ....last one for sure

the other a piece from Qwesanberry

I try and show my kids what things are and how to maintain them but there is no interest

Just hope they take the time to figure it out when they sell it all

is what it is

it’s been fun but piling stuff up that I have not even looked at in years seems kinda silly these days :)

I’m really trying to stop

my kids have no interest and it will just all be a mess to get rid of

over the years I’ve collected to much stuff cars , bikes , guns , swords , pens , bows , fishing equipment etc

it’s time to slow down and I’ve been really trying to stop buying knives and guns especially

I have two commissions out

one a sword ....last one for sure

the other a piece from Qwesanberry

I try and show my kids what things are and how to maintain them but there is no interest

Just hope they take the time to figure it out when they sell it all

is what it is

it’s been fun but piling stuff up that I have not even looked at in years seems kinda silly these days :)

1. Nobody gets rid of a titanium sword - they get buried with it

2. You haven't collected a titanium sword yet

3. More room to slow down when a titanium sword speeds you up

4. Second to last sword

5. Titanium sword needs no maintenance; don't have to explain it to the kids

6. Bigass titanium sword o_O

Sam

Haha - this is the best part of being a "collector" - interacting with makers, sharing ideas and especially (for me) meeting them in person at shows or hammer-ins or whatever. And, as a corollary, meeting/talking with photographers/sheathmakers and other knife-related businessmen and women.

I know, old school , "OK Boomer"..... maybe there's something to that :)

I get what Joe is saying though. In addition to knives, my wood collection is out of control !

Haha - this is the best part of being a "collector" - interacting with makers, sharing ideas and especially (for me) meeting them in person at shows or hammer-ins or whatever. And, as a corollary, meeting/talking with photographers/sheathmakers and other knife-related businessmen and women.

I know, old school , "OK Boomer"..... maybe there's something to that :)

I get what Joe is saying though. In addition to knives, my wood collection is out of control !
I'm unabashedly a 'Boomer'. Proud, even!

Tell us/show us a bit of this 'wood' collection. :eek: :thumbsup: :)

Hey Coop

As I don't have to tell YOU, posting pictures has become more difficult :(

Having said that....I have probably about 400 handles worth of Killer Koa, and you will have seen some of it on knives posted here by any number of makers whom I consider friends. In fact, I know for SURE that you've taken pictures of a number :thumbsup::D

I'm guessing I have 60 blocks/scale sets of Ringed Gidgee, another 60 of DI Burl, and some amazing Amboyna Burl and Honduran Rosewood.
Add in Redwood burl, Bog Oak and various other interesting and unusual "one offs", and my very patient wife is threatening to use some of it for firewood so she can reclaim some space !:p

Bill

Hey Coop

As I don't have to tell YOU, posting pictures has become more difficult :(

Having said that....I have probably about 400 handles worth of Killer Koa, and you will have seen some of it on knives posted here by any number of makers whom I consider friends. In fact, I know for SURE that you've taken pictures of a number :thumbsup::D

I'm guessing I have 60 blocks/scale sets of Ringed Gidgee, another 60 of DI Burl, and some amazing Amboyna Burl and Honduran Rosewood.
Add in Redwood burl, Bog Oak and various other interesting and unusual "one offs", and my very patient wife is threatening to use some of it for firewood so she can reclaim some space !:p

Bill

my friend just sent me a damascus billet big enough for a chef knife that I think will pair wonderfully with one of those wood blocks that you sent me. Gonna lean on another friend to show me how to forge it into a knife shape- so your material contributions are not strictly material! When that knife is completed, it will have required at least four people to create :)

Back