Any end of the world shelter building purchases?

All I had for an Axe was an Estwing hand hatchet. I removed all the leather rings except very top and bottom and wrapped the rest of the full tang with coyote 550 paracord.

Sooo . I couldnt spend gransfors bruks money . I need alot of other preps. So I just ordered a Cold Steel Trail boss , A Cold steel axe gang hatchet and a silky katanaboy 500mm saw . Ill post pics when the get here . But I figure if populated areas go sideways ill be able to build a good shelter with those 3 .

My home came with a "tornado shelter," but the problem is that it has no door.

Do you have any idea on how salesmen look at you when you say you're in the market for a "bomb proof door"?

But seriously, there are no bolts, hinges or struts on this entry concrete door/opening. And of course, some of the guys that do this work professionally are a tad off center.

I'm open to ideas. I'll find you a good shelter draftsman if you can find me a door!

Do you have any idea on how salesmen look at you when you say you're in the market for a "bomb proof door"?

But seriously, there are no bolts, hinges or struts on this entry concrete door/opening. And of course, some of the guys that do this work professionally are a tad off center.

I'm open to ideas. I'll find you a good shelter draftsman if you can find me a door!
lol Im talking bout log cabin . not bomb shelter . a bugout shelter if you will . I dont think staying in populated area when eveyone runs out of food is smart or viable.

lol Im talking bout log cabin . not bomb shelter . a bugout shelter if you will . I dont think staying in populated area when eveyone runs out of food is smart or viable.

Actually, these dwellings are closer than you might think. Over the decades, think about how a good solid log cabin saved the owners from attacks, fire and drenching rains. And it had a door--which my unit does not.

Then again, I'm not well versed in the places where such doors could be purchased. If you found a door with the same measurements I need I do not think it would matter when used in a crisis.

Actually, these dwellings are closer than you might think. Over the decades, think about how a good solid log cabin saved the owners from attacks, fire and drenching rains. And it had a door--which my unit does not.

Then again, I'm not well versed in the places where such doors could be purchased. If you found a door with the same measurements I need I do not think it would matter when used in a crisis.
ill keep an eye out chum.

Find a firm near you that sells commercial hollow metal doors and ask them to show you what they have as far as FEMA doors - growing market for commercial tornado storm shelters.

I know of a perfect cabin plans that uses paracord-wrapped Estwing for All stages of it's construction(from all those pesky roots to carving that cool ceremonial ladder),it's called "barabara".
https://www.google.com/search?q=bar....69i57j0l7.14111j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It's true that in order to do a Really nice job you'll have to violate the Stevens-Magnusson Act,and poach some marine mammals,but it'll be all Apocalypse around,and no one would pay any attention...And in any case you'll need all the meat and blubber so You won't run out of food yourself...

And for you,Sir,who seeks the Bomb-proof door,i too have a suggestion,it's an old German recipe,and works corker:
Go forth and slay all the surrounding peasantry(make sure you keep back a few well-built strong ones,you'll need them later),and pile all the burnables in a great big pile.
Then you rummage for all household goods that are made of iron,and setting that pile of fuel on fire you make those few peasants you saved forge all those household utensils flat,into plates of random size.
Then,while the fire is still hot enough,you hot-punch holes in those plates,and rivet them together into the shape of your door.
The trick is,when some rude neighbor with a bunch of his guys try to rush your castle door with their battering ram,your door will just Jangle,and Rattle,and Shake,and (magically)it'll ABSORB all the energy of the effort...
You can safely jeer from atop your walls and throw down filth on the attackers,it's a totally proven method!

(when ransacking for iron implements make sure to Especially look for paracord-wrapped Estwings,those are Particularly great for this).

Last edited:

You can have a custom made hollow metal steel door and frame made to any size. Ask your local dealer. Or fur in the opening to fit a standard size.

S Square_peg , You can have a custom made hollow metal steel door and frame made to any size. Ask your local dealer. Or fur in the opening to fit a standard size.

Thank you for the info. I would have never guessed choosing a hollow door, then again it would be metal. Another thing about this project is to figure out hinges that are bolted to the metal door on one end, and into the poured cement frame on the other. I've seen bolts "slide" out of cement.

Since this little room is part of our lower level and built into a hillside, I wondered if the builder figured that was enough shielding for a tornado, and he might be right. But I'd like the idea of a "safe room." Safe little Wisconsin seems to have a lot more crime reported on talk radio.

S Square_peg , You can have a custom made hollow metal steel door and frame made to any size. Ask your local dealer. Or fur in the opening to fit a standard size.

Thank you for the info. I would have never guessed choosing a hollow door, then again it would be metal. Another thing about this project is to figure out hinges that are bolted to the metal door on one end, and into the poured cement frame on the other. I've seen bolts "slide" out of cement.

Since this little room is part of our lower level and built into a hillside, I wondered if the builder figured that was enough shielding for a tornado, and he might be right. But I'd like the idea of a "safe room." Safe little Wisconsin seems to have a lot more crime reported on talk radio.

If this tornado shelter has no other openings, I would suggest that you don’t install a door. Tornados cause negative pressure, which in turn, can cause an implosion on your shelter if your shelter is all sealed up. Always have a way for air pressure to get out or in in order to self regulate. :)

ETA: If you are dead set on having a door, consider one that has an opening transom. That way you can tip the bottom open for pressure regulation and it will still keep the rain out.

End of the world specifically indicates that there would be no shelter on Earth.

But probably more to your point, complete social chaos?

If you study history, you'll find that people band together in groups and shelter in the most appropriate of the groups collective shelters.

You most decidedly would not be traipsing about the wilderness building log cabins with axes if you had already not been engaged in that sport prior to the "apocalypse".

You do have a great leg-up on others if you have a great axe, knife and saw. Wood becomes a valuable commodity, even in the form of furniture and building materials. Remember, the power grid is no more and you have to provide heat as well as shelter, and you might want to cook something if you were lucky enough to hunt it down.

best

mqqn

In a teotwawki situation the dearth of people would leave a lot of empty homes. Why not just pick one?

And I think you might find one of the shorter Silkys more to your liking.

In a teotwawki situation the dearth of people would leave a lot of empty homes. Why not just pick one?

And I think you might find one of the shorter Silkys more to your liking.
Yea , a big boy probably would have worked . But I wanted something that could go through larger trees. not so much a de limbing saw . With the 2 cold steel axes and the silky the goal was to have a shelter building kit if the need arose . And Pandemic teotwawki scenario such as this where quarantining may slow the virus but causes the economy to completely mess the bed may leave most of the population with no food or water . So im planning for a possible exfil of population centers if it goes sideways from people running out of food and such . Already hearing reports of individuals as well as businesses being hijacked for food .

You gotta figure a large segment of society have maybe a couple weeks of food and are forced out of work . no good .

It always pays to be prepared and I applaud your efforts. Everyone should do the same.

The Silky Big Boy is a LOT OF SAW. Easily capable of cutting 16" trees. And it's the largest saw that will stay in your left Carhart pocket, the one with the hammer loop.

My favorite Silky is the GOMBOY 270. It's been out of production for a few years but I see it on Amazon just now so maybe it's being made again. A couple years ago I had to scour the web to find replacement blades so I stocked up. I just ordered a backup from Amazon. It's that good.

The other great little folding saw is the Tajima G-Saw 240. It's not quite a Silky but it's a fine saw and bargain priced - typically under $30.

This teotwawki term just does not work for me. The world will get along just fine and make whatever corrections it needs to make. To me it should be teocawki. That would be c for civilization.

This teotwawki term just does not work for me. The world will get along just fine and make whatever corrections it needs to make. To me it should be teocawki. That would be c for civilization.
Indeed . The world as I reference it means the world we live in in the context of the paradigm as it exists currently . I didn't actually mean the planet . I.E. This is the world we live in ect .

Civilization can indeed be a suitable synonym for the context . It's really a shame . All these designer genetically engineered virus for what ? Power and control .
This planet had so much potential . Shame the malignant psychopaths that run this poopshow had to go ahead and toss the grenade into all our laps.

Ah well . We will live on some of us and some not . Hopefully these idiots learned some kind of lesson aye ?

It would be more than just the end of civilization if the Earth succumbed to a greenhouse effect in the way that Venus has. In that scenario the Earth surface would warm to about 250*F and our oceans would boil away. A few odd bacteria that are able to live at very high temperatures would survive for a time.

The current virus was not genetically engineered but made the leap from animals (most likely bats) to humans. You might want to loosen your tinfoil.

Back