Any experience with the Gerber Parabellum?

Over the weekend, I bought a used Bolt Action Gerber Parabellum knife. I had never seen one before, so I asked the vendor about it, and he couldn't tell me much other than the fact that he would let me have it for $17.00. It was in great shape, with only a few scratches which are hardly noticable. I assume this knife originally came with sheath, but the vendor sold the knife as is.

Has anyone ever owned one of these? Any comments on the design?

parabelm.jpg

[This message has been edited by el cid (edited 06-25-2001).]

You got a Parabellum for $17, hehehe not bad at all. I had one up till a few months ago. It was a nice sold it knife, the option for it to be worn as a folder or fixed blade was nice. Mine cost me $95.00 NIB. The very few times they popup, these are going for around $150 NIB for collectors.

------------------
Dark Nemesis

Crimson Horizon
Nothing but edge baby...
dark.nemesis@home.com

I've had one for years. A good knife but I find that the handle is a little wide for my hand. It does have a great sheath design. I think it was a Blackie Collins design.

El Cid,
I've had my parabellum since 1986, and it and it's sheath have been in all types of conditions, terrain, and climates.
I know that there are some who would argue this with me, but, IMHO, it is a much better field user than my BM 710!
Mine cost me 75 bucks NIB, and even though I've had to replace the pivot pin in the sheath twice, and have worn a quarter sized hole in the sheath, it is still the one I carry in the woods.
The blade still locks up as tight as anything that I've seen, and it sharpens up like a dream. It is truly a keeper. Kelly

Kelly I agree with you. I liked the knife when I saw it and held it for the first time. To me, this is my idea of a S.E.R.E. knife. Big enough to handle tough tasks and easy to sharpen in the field.

Wasn't the sheath for these knives designed to carry it both closed and opened? I remember when they first came out I thought it was a silly concept and that the knife was disprportionate in size. Looks like the market agreed with me.

Great knife. Heavy duty but lightweight. I didn't think much of the optional open blade carry mode.

I sold it for the same reason that was noted previously, it was just too wide for my hand.

If it fits your hand make it a user and you won't regret it.

------------------
Malcolm
------------------------
"Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean; who is neither tarnished nor afraid. "
Raymond Chandler

It's a big knife and it feels comfortable in the hand. I don't really mind using it.
It's too big for pocket carry, so I'll be looking for a pouch to carry it in soon. I showed it to one of my knifenut friends, and he said it was one "butt ugly" knife, but I really like it.

[This message has been edited by el cid (edited 06-26-2001).]

I had one when I was a kid in the late 80s and loved it. Great knife.

Back