Any good production brands still made in Japan

I pretty much stopped liking cold steel once LT moved manufacturing out of Japan. The fact that Japan dominates in kitchen cutlery should tell these manufactures something.

I believe a few of the push daggers and neck knives are still manufactured there but most of the product line was moved to Tawian.

Spyderco is another option but they are costly.

So besides cold steel and spyderco are any other brands famous for their Japanese cutlery.

These companies should know where to stay to keep quality but instead they chase the dollar.

There are a few. Check out Japanese knives direct. Com!! Some old school stuff there plus quite a few custom ones too!

I pretty much stopped liking cold steel once LT moved manufacturing out of Japan. The fact that Japan dominates in kitchen cutlery should tell these manufactures something.

I believe a few of the push daggers and neck knives are still manufactured there but most of the product line was moved to Tawian.

So besides cold steel and spyderco are any other brands famous for their Japanese cutlery.

These companies should know where to stay to keep quality but instead they chase the dollar.
Fällkniven’s knives are manufactured in Japan. I believe their folders are by Moki.

It’s a Swedish company, and the designs are by Fällkniven, but the knives are Japanese craftsmanship. Personally, I absolutely love their knives.

ouh0XoB.jpg

zR6XEif.jpg

hDs46wD.jpg

tGxnIkK.jpg

I was going to suggest Rockstead but if spyderco is pricey...

Mcusta does make some good stuff

+1 on Mcusta. They make some really nice stuff, really fantastic grinds and I suspect they run VG10 a bit harder than most ... but ... they really should spend more time thinking about their pocket clips.

You do understand that quality and costs are directly related, don't you?

Japan is one of the most expensive countries in the world to live in, more than most of Europe. Knife companies aren't "chasing the dollar" as much as trying to bring products to market that are still affordable to their customers. This means Taiwan and China instead of Japan.

If you ask me, I'd suggest you take another look at Taiwan manufactured knives.

If you ask me, I'd suggest you take another look at Taiwan manufactured knives.
To your point, a lot of people praise Spyderco's Taiwan factory better than the one state side. I'm honestly not sure, as my sample size is only a single PM2 made in CO.

To your point, a lot of people praise Spyderco's Taiwan factory better than the one state side. I'm honestly not sure, as my sample size is only a single PM2 made in CO.

I love my Golden knives, they are some of the best in production knives imo. My Pm2s, shamans, Manix 2 and xl, amd native chief are all pretty much perfect and I love using them. But the Taichung Spydercos are a step above that. I've had 4 and all of them have had superb quality and fit and finish.

If anything, Taichung makes some of the best knives in the world imo. I am not the least but ashamed to carry and use a Taiwan made knife, and I'd put any of them, including my cold steels, against a knife made anywhere else.

Quite a few brands come to mind and even more exist like The Aflac Duck The Aflac Duck posted
The first one that comes to mind though is Spyderco
Most of their Salt line, Delicas, Enduras, etc. are all made in Seki, Japan
I have a Fallkniven PXL from Japan and it's high quality.

There's not much in the lower end of "budget enthusiast" knives coming out of Japan.
Under $50 you're basically limited to Higonokami friction folders or the Spyderco Ladybug.

+1 on Mcusta sharpest knife I ever owned. VG-10 core damascus. Quince wood scales.. I agree the pocket clip is not good..

Back