Any have Survive GSO size advice?

So I love the GSO line of survive knives. The look, supurb steel, and judging by the many great reviews, I believe that it would be a great lifetime knife. I have exhausted forums and everything Google can find, but would like some specific opinion. I always carry a folder and a victorinox spirit x, I also have a mora for the woods, but I'm drawn to the strength, looks, and pommel of the gso. With very young kids that are not yet at the age to venture into the woods for the weekend to camp, I'm not sure that i need a knife that can baton. I was fixated on the 4.1 for a while, as an all around knife that could do it all. Now I'm thinking that the 3.5 would be better because of the lighter weight and possible edc. My family and friends are really into day hikes and taking the lighter 3.5 seems like the better choice. But if i buy the 3.5 I don't see the need for the 4.1 and would probably get the 5 some day. I would not baby this knife and I like that it can basically be used as a chisel/hard use. So does anyone carry their 4.1 in an edc bag? Is it too heave to take hiking? Thoughts are appreciated

I have a 3.5 and I love it. That being said, it is a bit on the smaller side, and as such is my wife's more than it is mine. But I can still use it very comfortably, and if you're looking for a lightweight fixed blade for hiking or EDC, I don't know if you can do much better than it. I can't comment on the 4.1, but if you want some size comparison pictures of the 3.5, let me know.

I have a 3.5 and I love it, too. The handle seems a bit on the thin side to me and I have medium sized hands, but that's personal preference. Overall, I love the blade size and design of the knife. With that said, I will likely be getting a 4.1 in the near future to decide if I like one over the other. I see myself keeping both, though. I doubt you'd be disappointed either way.

I find the sweet spot in bush knives to be between 4.25 & 5.5 inch blade length. Of course there are exceptions to everything. I have knives larger and smaller than that but for your particular needs it might be a place to start. Most who are disgruntled with a purchase seem to be so due to buying too LARGE.

Those kids will be old enough soon. Why buy another knife when they are? You should get the 4.1 because if you buy the 3.5 you'll WISH you had the 4.1. On your belt you won't feel the weight difference between those two blades at all.

The 6 and 3.5 would make a good pair if you were to consider two.

Last edited:
I find the 4.1 to be handy as hell and have 4 of them stuffed in bags and packs all over. I have or have owned every size GSO besides the necker 2. I find the 4.1 to be big enough to do almost everything, I will admit the 5.1 is my favorite overall. The 3.5 has one thing going for it and that is its tinyness. I prefer a knife of that size to be a capable slicer of which the 3.5 really isnt. If you notice the weight difference between the 3.5 and 4.1 I would be suprised but I am sure you would see the utility of the extra .75 in the field.

^ This

I am sure that the 3.5 is handy and great, esp. with such light weight. But at that size i am fine with a folder or something more specific to slicing - an even lighter knife. GSO-4.1 is a little bigger but not much heavier and can handle a lot of stress.

That typed, the 3.5 is certainly more suited to day-hikes and such, much like a mora. When i was younger and lived in Oregon, going on a day-hike up the Colombia Gorge with a mora was enough to get weird looks from some people, the GSO-4.1 would have been considered stranger still. The GSO-3.5 can be clipped inside your pocket for low-profile and should be more than enough. You can get the 4.1 later ;)

I have a 7/7, 4.1, and 3.5. The 4.1 hits the sweet spot. It's big enough to split kindling but not too big to carry around. I'd prefer the 3.5 if I was going to keep it in my pocket all day though. It's really about half the of the 4.1.

I have a 7/7, 4.1, and 3.5. The 4.1 hits the sweet spot. It's big enough to split kindling but not too big to carry around. I'd prefer the 3.5 if I was going to keep it in my pocket all day though. It's really about half the of the 4.1.
They don't post the weights of all the knives on the web site, from my research the 4.1 is 9.5 oz and the 3.5 is 4 oz. Correct? Theoretically I wouldn't take the 3.5 if I knew that I would be processing wood for a fire, but it would do on an emergency right?

I do t have a scale accurate to ounces, but I'd say the 3.5 is easily less than half the weight of the 4.1. I would be glad to have the 3.5 with me but would feel better with the 4.1 as my only knife.

They don't post the weights of all the knives on the web site, from my research the 4.1 is 9.5 oz and the 3.5 is 4 oz. Correct? Theoretically I wouldn't take the 3.5 if I knew that I would be processing wood for a fire, but it would do on an emergency right?

GSO-4.1 weighs only 6.4 oz (without sheath), not sure about the 3.5.

If you haven't read it, here's a little thread on the 3.5 and 4.1: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1186472-Survive!-knives-GSO-3-5-first-impression

I say 8.6 is the way to go! 5.1 + 3.5 the 5.1 handles all of your camp needs and heavy duty stuff. The 3.5 is the chore cutter.

I've been putting a few to work lately and really enjoying them. Most recently got a lot of time with the 3.5 in the backcounrty. Having a couple 4.1's already, I think the 3.5 is my favorite they've done yet. Also have a 6 and a 10, but those are the thickest blades I own other than some butchering antiques. I think 1/8th is about as thick as I can personally go for knives I usually use, and the fit and finish on these are great for the price. Only complaint is I think I might need to get a couple more of them. :thumbup:

Although I feel a Dogwood Custom Knives Grizzly would be a more funtional paring for future excursions, but that's because I've been eyeing them for some time.

Last edited:
I think 1/8th is about as thick as I can personally go for knives I usually use...

Agreed. This is why I can't wait for the scandi 4.1 to come out. I read somewhere it'll be 1/8" thick. Can anyone confirm this so I know I just didn't make this up and am giving false information?

Agreed. This is why I can't wait for the scandi 4.1 to come out. I read somewhere it'll be 1/8" thick. Can anyone confirm this so I know I just didn't make this up and am giving false information?
SURVIVE! has a YouTube channel and in a video Guy has a scandi GSO 4.1 and he mentions that it is 1/8" thick. There is also some pictures of it on SURVIVE!'s Instagram and Facebook accounts.

I heard the same about the scandi too,

If so I wonder if there is any interest in a special run of 1/8th" or thinner flat grind GSO? I'd definitely buy a few.

The scandi they did looks great, waiting to hear back if they are in fact 1/8.

EDIT: They are going to be 1/8th" thick.

Last edited:
Back