Any Honk Falls Collectors?

Jay the two Sears catalog cuts I mentioned above (two knives, bottom of second page) are patterns that are pretty much dead ringers for the Wilbert (Nap) and Case saddlehorns as far as the handle shapes go. That's not a pattern I've seen elsewhere. That sure looks like a possible connection. I knew I'd seen those patterns somewhere and never scrolled up to see the Nap and Case examples as I was typing. That's what happens when I post at 12;30 AM LOL!

Lots of folks assume that all the Wilberts were Naps but a good number of them were made by Challenge as well. The saddlehorn is definitely a Napanoch. There's a Wilbert folding hunter with a fancy shield that shows up occasionally that's always referred to as a Napanoch Wilbert but it's a Challenge for sure. They made one of their own stamped models that was identical. Sorry, I'm going off on a tangent again LOL.

Eric

Last edited:
An interesting detail I’ve noted from the factory statement is the steel used for the Sears Roebuck & Co. knives was from S.C. Wardlow’s best English steel for blades and springs.
I wonder how many other companies would have also been using this supplier at the same time.
Jay the two Sears catalog cuts I mentioned above (two knives, bottom of second page) are patterns that are pretty much dead ringers for the Wilbert (Nap) and Case saddlehorns as far as the handle shapes go. That's not a pattern I've seen elsewhere. That sure looks like a possible connection. I knew I'd seen those patterns somewhere and never scrolled up to see the Nap and Case examples as I was typing. That's what happens when I post at 12;30 AM LOL!

Lots of folks assume that all the Wilberts were Naps but a good number of them were made by Challenge as well. The saddlehorn is definitely a Napanoch. There's a Wilbert folding hunter with a fancy shield that shows up occasionally that's always referred to as a Napanoch Wilbert but it's a Challenge for sure. They made one of their own stamped models that was identical. Sorry, I'm going off on a tangent again LOL.

Eric
Hey Eric, in my research I read Case had owed money to Challenge at one point. I can find the exact info. I found it interesting that they did business in some level. Here is an add concerning the steel mentioned earlier. D3A1F056-3EB1-4598-8F63-149C73DA4098.jpeg It is a great conversation here. Everyone may have to put out a revised addition to their knife books Lol.

Charlie did you read the Sears catalog cut?
What do you think about their factory statement?
Yes!! It's hard to decide on this pattern!! Bernie Levine thinks it's a Utica, and I have yet to see that pattern elsewhere besides in the Sears catalog, or in my drawer!! But it's an enticing pattern to copy, I am sure!!

Jay I wouldn't read too much into the Wardlow connection. It was the best crucible steel you could get at the time for pocket knives and the vast majority of cutlery companies in America used it. Over 30% of Sheffield's annual crucible steel production came to the states in those years, much of it through Wardlow.

Beautiful congress there! Nice blades Charlie!

Eric

Several months ago an Uncle of mine brought me several old vintage knives with each one having an issue of some kind or another. As I was going through them I ran across one with a scale shield that I had never seen before. So I opened the clip point blade (appears to be a half whittler style knife) and there are no legible markings on the tang. So I then opened up the spey blade and on one side of the tang I could read what appears to be the word “South”. I am so glad that I stumbled across this thread before sending the knife to the graveyard. Although the knife is no longer serviceable, thanks to you guys I will keep it intact as a piece of American history as I believe it to be an authentic Honk Falls knife that’s right at 100 years old. Thanks again for the knowledge that you have bestowed upon me about this company. Any additional knowledge about it that you guys could lend would be appreciated.
The knife measures 4-1/8" closed.

Last edited:
Several months ago an Uncle of mine brought me several old vintage knives with each one having an issue of some kind or another. As I was going through them I ran across one with a scale shield that I had never seen before. So I opened the clip point blade (appears to be a half whittler style knife) and there are no legible markings on the tang. So I then opened up the spey blade and on one side of the tang I could read what appears to be the word “South”. I am so glad that I stumbled across this thread before sending the knife to the graveyard. Although the knife is no longer serviceable, thanks to you guys I will keep it intact as a piece of American history as I believe it to be an authentic Honk Falls knife that’s right at 100 years old. Thanks again for the knowledge that you have bestowed upon me about this company. Any additional knowledge about it that you guys could lend would be appreciated.
The knife measures 4-1/8" closed.

OK, I'm stumped. Where does "South" show up on a Honk Falls tang stamp? I backtracked through the whole thread and didn't see any mention of it regarding Honks or Naps, but knowing me I likely missed it.

Eric

Jay that's just what I was thinking. Judging by the placement of "South" I think it might be a Southington Cut Co knife.

Eric

That’s a plausible theory, but one thing that would rule out that company to me would be the word South is stamped sideways on the tang and not in the conventional upright position like other examples that I have seen from Southington Cut Co.
I’m not 100% sure that the word is indeed “South “, it just looked like it to me.
Jay that's just what I was thinking. Judging by the placement of "South" I think it might be a Southington Cut Co knife.

Eric

That’s a plausible theory, but one thing that would rule out that company to me would be the word South is stamped sideways on the tang and not in the conventional upright position like other examples that I have seen from Southington Cut Co.
I’m not 100% sure that the word is indeed “South “, it just looked like it to me.

Mike, the early Southingtons had arched stamps. Here's an example:

Southington Cut Co stamp.jpg

Eric

I just found out I had this. It was my wife’s dads knife. Found it in his closet after he passed.
Maybe some can explain to me how to load a picture…😁

Back