Any Idea When the Spyderco Advocate Gen 2 Will Arrive?

Spyderco released an updated version of the Advocate with improved bearings a little while after that notice. Most of the currently available Advocates from your usual dealers are those improved models, you can tell by the date code on the box. You want an R year code for the updated CQI version.

Thanks for the info.

Is Spyderco discontinuing the Gen 2 model, the good one with the R year code?

Last edited:
Yes they are being discontinued. Grab em while you can while they are cheap. Finally got rid of the ugly gold finish on mine :D

Wow I have been totally misunderstanding that title.

I thought the OP was looking for a "fixed blade" version of the Advocate. But what they wanted was the CQI ones from the latest release.

I believe the Junction (also discontinued) would be the closest thing to a fixed blade Advocate. :D

Buy one before they are gone. I bought mine before the price reduction
and think it is epic. I like the feel in hand, the blade is perfect...only the
detent is a miss...a bit too soft. Fit and finish are spectacular and mine
is reserved for formal occasions like weddings. I find it beautiful but others
disagree!

Fixed, think it looks a lot better now!
ZfYz1Ti.jpg

Got one last night, and it's a great blade for urban or genteel carry, as it's so slim. Disengaging the lock-bar can be a bit harsh on your thumb, but you'd have to be a real girly-man to notice that ;-)

Love that knife .... on a related note, is it just me, or are Taichung screws (in particular Pivots) softer than Colorado ones ?
I’m pretty sure they are. The only screws that I’ve seen are softer are from Taichung. A wiha even did that!

Spyderco released an updated version of the Advocate with improved bearings a little while after that notice. Most of the currently available Advocates from your usual dealers are those improved models, you can tell by the date code on the box. You want an R year code for the updated CQI version.
But acording to TazKristi the date code is not a 100% guarantee.. from this this thread.. https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74118&start=180

Quoting her along with the pic she posted from that thread: "The date code cannot be used as a reliable reference as to whether or not you received an original or the revised Advocate. Here's an image I posted back in January that should help you distinguish between the two."

file.php

The left CQI version advocate has phosphor bronze washers visible and the right one doesn't.

Yes they are being discontinued. Grab em while you can while they are cheap. Finally got rid of the ugly gold finish on mine :D
These have a gold finish? I thought I noticed somewhat of a light bronze ano in some pictures, but any color is never mentioned in write-ups and reviews.

These have a gold finish? I thought I noticed somewhat of a light bronze ano in some pictures, but any color is never mentioned in write-ups and reviews.
It’s goldish/bronzish for sure. That was my only dislike with the knife, but now it’s perfect and has the finish I think it should of had:D

so the advocate isn't a Bearing flipper? I never knew it was a washer flipper... I was waiting for a cqi version on discount the KC ones were gen 1 so I passed.... I just bought a Vintage Bowie XM18 this morning though so I'm broke anyway haha

Last edited:
so the advocate isn't a Bearing flipper? I never knew it was a washer flipper... I was waiting for a cqi version on discount the KC ones were gen so I passed.... I just bought a Vintage Bowie XM18 this morning though so I'm broke anyway haha

It has bearings.

Crappy little tiny plastic cased bearings with dished washers and all, it still amazingly flips well, LOL

Mine is the first generation so I am not sure if the second CQI generation has bearings or just washers. From pictures I’ve seen it looks as if they are just PB washers..
M2R6wQE.jpg

Back