Any Idea When the Spyderco Advocate Gen 2 Will Arrive?

The CQI version has larger diameter balls in bronze holders instead of plastic.
With thicker steel washers too. I don't view mine as anything other than a fancy
gentleman carry. The light weight, thinness, and epic cutting ability make for
a zero compromise dress folder.
For a heavy use and regular carry flippers I bought a small pile of ZT knives...
none of which cut as well as the Advocate. But they all have stainless steels
and epic actions...so I guess it evens out. The Advocate was my gateway flipper.
All of my ZT blades are Sinkevich designs...I love his work!

Gayle Bradley did an epic job on the Advocate blade and I consider the knife
a significant piece of work worth owning. It is a shame the originals had pivot
issues...I think that "killed" it.
I regard it as a "must own". As a total package...it is compelling. I always loathed
CR integral locks...until I got my Advocate. There is just something about it...
My son went nuts when I showed it to him. He got it right away. An Epic under
appreciated piece. I am never selling mine.

Spyderco released an updated version of the Advocate with improved bearings a little while after that notice. Most of the currently available Advocates from your usual dealers are those improved models, you can tell by the date code on the box. You want an R year code for the updated CQI version.

What is an R year code? Does that mean all the boxes with the updated CQI version was made sometime in 2018?

Gayle Bradley did an epic job on the Advocate blade and I consider the knife
a significant piece of work worth owning. It is a shame the originals had pivot
issues...I think that "killed" it.
I regard it as a "must own". As a total package...it is compelling. I always loathed
CR integral locks...until I got my Advocate. There is just something about it...
My son went nuts when I showed it to him. He got it right away. An Epic under
appreciated piece. I am never selling mine.

Agree with all of this. Every GB knife has been so nice to use. The Advocate took it a step up and was unexpected, at least from me, a flipper with bearings from a maker who mostly sticks to traditionals and fixed blades. The original GB came out of nowhere also, suddenly a production knife with M4 and CF, and for $100-120?!

I think Spyderco's response and treatment of the update killed it as much as the original issue did. This thread and the "official response" on their forum kind of show that, I think. Official response: "We have never had any in for warranty work so believe this is not a real problem...but umm if it is it's probably your fault for disassembling it and then tightening it too much." That clearly set some people off. And then despite claiming that, they make substantial changes. The problem there is they kept the model name the same with no easy way to distinguish between them (a problem this thread shows) while not pulling back the originals to fix, so everyone was afraid to buy one. Making changes and calling it CQI works for small and/or unnecessary updates, but when there's a fundamental flaw and you don't pull the original off the shelves, you're putting fear and uncertainty into buying it.

The original GB came out of nowhere also, suddenly a production knife with M4 and CF, and for $100-120?!

I can remember them being sold at lots of places for $129.99 for what seemed like forever.

I can remember thinking to myself then that this was one of the best values EVER in a production folder.

And then one day <POOF> they were gone. I got one plus a few pre-need replacements before they disappeared.

Agree with all of this. Every GB knife has been so nice to use. The Advocate took it a step up and was unexpected, at least from me, a flipper with bearings from a maker who mostly sticks to traditionals and fixed blades. The original GB came out of nowhere also, suddenly a production knife with M4 and CF, and for $100-120?!

I think Spyderco's response and treatment of the update killed it as much as the original issue did. This thread and the "official response" on their forum kind of show that, I think. Official response: "We have never had any in for warranty work so believe this is not a real problem...but umm if it is it's probably your fault for disassembling it and then tightening it too much." That clearly set some people off. And then despite claiming that, they make substantial changes. The problem there is they kept the model name the same with no easy way to distinguish between them (a problem this thread shows) while not pulling back the originals to fix, so everyone was afraid to buy one. Making changes and calling it CQI works for small and/or unnecessary updates, but when there's a fundamental flaw and you don't pull the original off the shelves, you're putting fear and uncertainty into buying it.

I agree. They shot themselves in the foot with the way this was handled. If we can have a Paramilitary 2 model we certainly should have been able to have a Spyderco Advocate 2 model. I have one and think it is a thing of beauty, and function both.

Traded for one here on the exchange and I am blown away by this knife. Unreal attention to detail and finishing on a production knife. I agree that the early issues likely caused an early demise for a knife that should have been a home run for years to come. Glad I got my hands on one.

Got one from BHQ the other day. Opened her up and immediately heard a rattle. Then noticed the pivot screws were kinda chewed up. I didn't bother trying to diagnose. Not worth it. Returned it.
Box code was AR and I could see it was the gen 2.

I can remember them being sold at lots of places for $129.99 for what seemed like forever.

I can remember thinking to myself then that this was one of the best values EVER in a production folder.

And then one day <POOF> they were gone. I got one plus a few pre-need replacements before they disappeared.

I love my GB 1. I bought it for $145 back in 2014.

After all this bull, the should ditch the advocate name.

Come out with a GB3, a flipper version of the GB1, carbon fiber scales and all.

Back