Any ideas for the next Group Buy?

How about a Carver handle paired with another small blade profile? The Carver's got the least shaped handle of any except those of Pygmy family, yet gives even my gimpy large hand so many locked-in grips, just what's wanted for fine work with small blades. Sometimes I just stare at it and wonder, how did Andy do that, make such a subtle handle shape function so well? Near as I can tell, the Carver handle has no family relatives. Paired with an Esquire blade might be interesting.

2v2Eib6L8xurAoi.jpg

I really like the middle one. I'm guessing that's an Esquire on top. The middle mock up is a nice size. Like the clip point blade and a bit more aggressive handle.

The handles you guys used to routinely do with the large micarta bolsters would look nice. I'd like to see a large ivory or white micarta bolster with some shade of Ebony or darker wood.. with black pins

Edit to add pic example

garotte_186749_3.jpg

Last edited:
Here are my thoughts after doing some thinking
Pooh.jpg

I've always liked the Monarch handle but found the knife overall a bit large-ish. I've always liked the Esquire but found the knife a bit too small. And my overall favorite blade profile is the Handyman.

There are really 3 attempts here and I hope it makes sense.
  1. The top one is the Monarch handle plus the Handyman blade. Someone mentioned blade restrictions but this would put it just beyond 3". Annnnd how awkward, but there just seems to be too tall of a handle so that it looks funky at the rear of the blade.
  2. The bottom one is the overlap of 2 attempts with the Monarch handle plus the Handyman blade, but the blade is pushed back to keep the length at 3" for restrictive states. The version with the full Monarch handle looks awkward to me because it doesn't pair up with the blade all that well.
  3. The bottom pic but with the smaller scaled down handle makes me think this would be a handle scaled between the Monarch and Esquire sizes, and it transitions to the blade better. All in all I prefer guardless versions because I like being able to use the entire blade for food prep. My initial comment was also that this was for EDC-centric use vs bushcrafty use so that would be another reason for it to be guardless. And for crying out loud, I'd like to finally see a friggen sharpening choil on a Fiddleback!! hahahaha Dang recurve stuff at the rear drives my OCD crazy. Just sayin
The additional photo has an Esquire tossed in there for comparison, mostly to show that it just isn't something in between an Esquire and Monarch because it carries the blade spirit of the Handyman. :D

EDIT: Note that I also considered blades/handles from the Sylvrfalcen, Big Palmer, Asp, Bushnub, Bushnub II, Lonestar, Bushfinger. Also, a suggested name for this mashup would be a Handy Squire. ;)

2v2EibrV9xAKujh.jpg

2v2EibjT9xAKujh.jpg

Last edited:
Back