Any ideas for the next Group Buy?

I’m easy, anything involving Snakewood would put me on the list. My top 3; Pygmy family (Pygmy, Shaman, Chief & BK!), Bushnub and Fighter.

So....based on a simple and preliminary tally of models that have been mentioned so far (not weighted or ranked - just mentioned), it would seem that the top 3 most popular candidates are:

Handyman, Lil Lady, and Gaucho (including a few mentions for a Lil Baby Groucho for Bob, as it seems to be his favorite ;))

Well-represented in the middle of the pack: Bushboot, Bushnub, Shaman & Family, Monarch, OSKarda & Family

Also mentioned: The Big Boys (Duke, Fighter, Woodsman, etc), Babyboot, Lonestar, Padre, BF Bowie, and several others

At least 24 different models have been mentioned up until now! Once the other options such as steel thickness, steel types, and handle materials/configurations are introduced into the mix, preferences might change, but for now it is really cool to see the diversity of models that the Fiddleback community would choose for a group buy.

The Goucho really shins in the food prep area. If you shrink it to a Lil Goucho it may be good for boning out a chicken wing and slicing a sliced pickle, that’s about it.

The Goucho really shins in the food prep area. If you shrink it to a Lil Goucho it may be good for boning out a chicken wing and slicing a sliced pickle, that’s about it.
The Gaucho just has a cool factor to its profile and it IS super useful. But its not of a size that I find myself carrying around every day, whipping out at the food court with the kids which is where my downsizing thoughts came from.

But let me get this straight .. You're saying that if it were taken down to a blade size somewhere around 3.5" and OAL of 7.5", then it would be of nominal use? Well, Hell, I better go throw out (or not buy those I don't have yet) all of these useless knives since all I can do with them is slice a pickle. o_O

Bow Legged Belt knife 3.5"
Bushpik 3.5"
Minimuk 3.5"
Bushboot 3.5 - 4"
Bushraptor 3.5 - 3.75"
Bushcrafter Jr 3.475"
Monarch 3.460"
Bushnub 3.455"
Bear Cub / Bushcraft Cub 3.375"
Bushnub II 3.375"
Shank 3.375 - 3.5"
Big Mitt 3.336 - 4"
EDC 3.25"
EDC II 3.25"
Rebel 3.25"
Snubnose 3.25"
Wingman 3.25"
Handyman 3.234 - 3.5"
Patch Knife 3.140 - 3.25"
Lone Star EDC 3.125"
Shaman 3.125"
F2 3.125 - 3.5"
Hiking buddy 3.125 - 3.25"
3 Finger Karda 3"
Bushcraft Karda 3"
ED Karda 3"
Gambler 3"
Karda 3"
Palmer 3"
Sylvrfalcen 3"
Pocket Kephart 2.9"
Toboggan 2.886 - 3"
2 Finger Karda 2.75"
3 Finger Joe 2.75"
Esquire 2.75"
Sgain Dubh 2.75"
Minnow 2.5"
Pipsqueak 2.5"
Pygmy 2.5"
Stubbymuk 2.5"
Woodpecker 2.5"
Bow Legged Joe 2.5 - 3"
Carver 2.375"
Mosquito 2.25"
Runt 2 - 2.25"

I don't like tiny knives. Anything under a 3" blade and under 7" oal is a toy and a good folder can replace in my rotation. I'm in the woods with my blades which are users. I don't buy to carry in the office to open letters and boxes. I find knives like the runt, Esquire or any 3 finger knife to be completely useless. Sorry to rattle you knife collectors as I'm not a collector but a user.

I don't buy to carry in the office to open letters and boxes. I find knives like the runt, Esquire or any 3 finger knife to be completely useless. Sorry to rattle you knife collectors as I'm not a collector but a user.

Do people actually use a knife to open letters? I find that my fingers can handle letter opening on their own just fine lol. I see your point about the folders, but there is something about a fixed blade I just like better these days. Maybe it's a better feeling of security, or maybe it's the simplicity. Doesn't really matter as long as you're enjoying yourself. Only folders I'm interested in nowadays are swiss army knives and old timey slipjoints (I'm over the whole tactical/mid tech folder thing for the most part). Sure, folders can do pretty much anything a small fixed blade can do, but I enjoy doing it more so with my Fiddleback.

Last edited:
I know it's probably wishful thinking, but it would be very cool to see something in between the Monarch and the Esquire. Bigger than the Esquire, smaller than the Monarch. Similar handle and blade shape as the Esquire but longer. Add a swedge and tapered tang, and I think it would look very nice.

**Disclaimer: I have yet to handle a Monarch, so I'm not sure if something in between that and the Esquire would make sense or not.

Last edited:
Back