Any imput

Yay or nay

• Total voters
I just found my basic s30v dlc pm3 and was thinking of modding it with copper flytanium scales wise men fang and signet and a black MXG deep carry clip. Any thoughts? The only thing I might not do is the signet ring because I’m not totally in love with it

Last edited:
I just found my basic s30v dlc pm3 and was thinking of modding it with copper glutamine scales wise men fang and signet and a black MXG deep carry clip. Any thoughts?
I'm not familiar with the scales you refer to but I bought the Wise Men aluminum scales for my Delica. In short order I found, that I missed the ultra light weight of the original Spyderco Scales and also the 'feel.' Not a fan of the WMC alu scales. Not least because of the holes in the scales where one tend to poke a finger when holding the knife.
If you don't mind the little extra weight of some after market scales then go right ahead.

The Fang and Signet Ring are gadgets which at first glance seems like a good idea. If you dwelve a little bit deeper and do some research on the Signet Ring, it's an eye opener.
Caveat: I'm no knife fighter and don't carry a knife for SD but Mike Janich - who has forgotten more about SD with a knife than most here will ever know - correctly points out that the Signet Ring is positioned too far back to be effective (on a knife meant for SD).
If you just like it because it makes it easy to yank the knife out of a pocket then go ahead because it will do that. Left me a little 'meh.'

The Fang works on some knives. I haven't tried it on the PM3. I sort of like and get the idea of the wave but after a while the novelty wears off and personally, I don't need to rape the fabric of the pants pockets more than I already do with a standard clip equipped knife. Then again I'm not a knife fighter and don't carry a knife with that in mind hence take my thoughts on this with a grain of salt.
You might want to carry a knife for SD and find the WM gadgets the danglies.

Last but not least I'm not a fan of deep carry clips. I've tried a couple (the latest was on a PM2). I just don't see the point of them. Why have a clip on a knife instead of just dumping the knife down the pocket and then mount a DC which makes it more cumbersome to retrieve the knife than the standard clip.
Combined with the Ring the above might of course not be a problem. Further more I get that the DC will make a knife more unobtrusive. Then again the Ring won't.
Personally I'll never own/use a DC again.
I'm clearly in the minority in regards to deep carry because people rave about the deep carry clips.
I have a standard MXG clip and like it. It works.

PS Don't mean to rain on your parade. Again not a knife fighter. Feel free to disregard.
Tl;dr it you have the disposable income and want to mod and have a little fun toying with a nice PM3 then go right ahead and kit it out.

Last edited:
Let er' rip and go all the way! I'm guessing you came here for a nudge in that direction.

My input is yay all the way.

I put some cf scales on a pm2 a while back and it made a huge improvement over the stock G-10.

I've been on BF for years and I literally had to read your post three times before I knew what the heck you were talking about. I still can't follow most of it. Fangs and signets and wise men and glutamine and what the what?! I guess I'm just not up with the latest market geegaws. I look forward to pics, though.

Zieg

I've been on BF for years and I literally had to read your post three times before I knew what the heck you were talking about. I still can't follow most of it. Fangs and signets and wise men and glutamine and what the what?! I guess I'm just not up with the latest market geegaws. I look forward to pics, though.

Zieg

WMC Fang
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wisemen-fang-anyone.1540100/#post-17697298

WMC Signet ring
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Wise-Men-Company-Signet-Ring-for--52120

I'm kinda all about the fighting / SD folder , but I do NOT like trapping my finger in a ring . YMMV and that's what makes the world turn ! ;)

Wow ! So far , 100% nah vote . Never seen that before . o_O

that stuff reminds me of how the kids like to add elaborate & large spoilers to their honda civics or whatever is popular today... all show, but nothing really to help with actual aerodynamics... both of those mods on a nice small edc turn it into a large/clunky thing (imho) - but I agree with everyone else, if you find it useful, of course do it and show pics ; )

Zieg

I had the same issue. Modifying the post with some punctuation would have been nice, but I still would've had trouble as I wasn't familiar with those products either.

I think the signet ring would be a bit silly on a para3, but to each his own. I've got a gaggle of modified knives and love them. Go nuts.

Right. You summed my first post in this thread up nicely albeit a tad more blunt:D
I can be a curmudgeon sometimes. :oops:

I don't own any Spydercos, though there are one or two that interest me. I don't want a waved setup and I don't want to turn my folding EDC knife into a karambit. If I need to use my knife as a weapon, I want it simple and straightforward, not looking like something I took off a Klingon's wall. Knife fighting is not a sophisticated enterprise. It's brutal and cruel and benefits from simple tools.

There's a reason combat knives look simple through the ages: Simple stabby things get the job done. There's also a reason EDC knives look simple through the ages: Simple slicey things get the job done. No need to gild the lilly when it comes to a nice tool like a Spyderco.

Zieg

I most likley will just end up with the scales and the pocket clip in the end maybe a nice lanyard
Don't be too easily discouraged . If you look into /search the Practical / Tactical subform you will find a number of respectable martial knife artists that find a ring knife to be very useful . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have Flytanium Copper Scales on my PM2 and like them. I have no idea what Copper Glutamine Scales are? Copper Scales make the knife already heavy, attaching more stuff to it like a Signet Ring and Fang seems to just push the knife completely into "just leave it at home because it's so heavy territory". If you want to make it tactical, get the Ring, Fang and Carbon Fiber Scales.

Para3CopperFront-large.jpg

These are the scales I was looking at (
https://www.flytaniumco.com/item/279/Copper-Scales-for-Spyderco-Para3 )

IMG_9208_large.jpg

And this was the deep carry clip. (
https://mxggear.com/collections/par...um-deep-carry-pocket-clip-for-spyderco-para-3 )

Back