Any imput

Yay or nay

• Total voters
I can be a curmudgeon sometimes. :oops:

I don't own any Spydercos, though there are one or two that interest me. I don't want a waved setup and I don't want to turn my folding EDC knife into a karambit. If I need to use my knife as a weapon, I want it simple and straightforward, not looking like something I took off a Klingon's wall. Knife fighting is not a sophisticated enterprise. It's brutal and cruel and benefits from simple tools.

There's a reason combat knives look simple through the ages: Simple stabby things get the job done. There's also a reason EDC knives look simple through the ages: Simple slicey things get the job done. No need to gild the lilly when it comes to a nice tool like a Spyderco.

Zieg
Come on, you know you want a Bat'leth:D
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat'leth

I have Flytanium Copper Scales on my PM2 and like them. I have no idea what Copper Glutamine Scales are? Copper Scales make the knife already heavy, attaching more stuff to it like a Signet Ring and Fang seems to just push the knife completely into "just leave it at home because it's so heavy territory". If you want to make it tactical, get the Ring, Fang and Carbon Fiber Scales.
Flytanium makes nice scales. I have the Ti and the brass ones for a couple of PM2s.
The only 'problem' with these scales is that they add a bit of extra weight. It's funny how one can grow up with heavy pocket knives and then get used to the light weight of a PM2 in no time flat.
If added weight is no problem the OP should get a set of FT scales.
I don't know where the 'glutamine' comes into play either.

Para3CopperFront-large.jpg

These are the scales I was looking at (
https://www.flytaniumco.com/item/279/Copper-Scales-for-Spyderco-Para3 )

IMG_9208_large.jpg

And this was the deep carry clip. (
https://mxggear.com/collections/par...um-deep-carry-pocket-clip-for-spyderco-para-3 )
Those are nice scales. As above; if the added weight is not a factor, then go ahead.

What do you mean by 'glutamine scales,' inquiring minds wants to know?

I'm kinda all about the fighting / SD folder , but I do NOT like trapping my finger in a ring . YMMV and that's what makes the world turn ! ;)

Wow ! So far , 100% nah vote . Never seen that before . o_O
Yikes! I recently was interested in a ring knife and read up on them. One article described 'de-gloving' in very graphic detail complete with pics. Nasty.
Even though I only contemplated a fixed blade ring knife for the ease of extracting it from the sheath, the de-gloving part made me less enthusiastic about the ring knives. You never know what might happen. A knife can easily twist. For example when hunting.
No doubt they work for some knife fighters. As mentioned I'm not a knife fighter and don't carry a knife for SD how ever.

Flytanium makes nice scales. I have the Ti and the brass ones for a couple of PM2s.
The only 'problem' with these scales is that they add a bit of extra weight. It's funny how one can grow up with heavy pocket knives and then get used to the light weight of a PM2 in no time flat.
If added weight is no problem the OP should get a set of FT scales.
I don't know where the 'glutamine' comes into play either.

Those are nice scales. As above; if the added weight is not a factor, then go ahead.

What do you mean by 'glutamine scales,' inquiring minds wants to know?
It was a mistake, my phone autocorrected flytanium to glutamine. And I do not care about the extra weight

:D:DRight. Got ya:D:D
I was thinking "what the heck is he on about!"

........okay, so now I want some copper glutamine scales.....:):D
they’d be a bit soft I’d think if they were composed of actual copper and glutamine but maybe they’d feel nice in the hand.

Yikes! I recently was interested in a ring knife and read up on them. One article described 'de-gloving' in very graphic detail complete with pics. Nasty.
Even though I only contemplated a fixed blade ring knife for the ease of extracting it from the sheath, the de-gloving part made me less enthusiastic about the ring knives. You never know what might happen. A knife can easily twist. For example when hunting.
No doubt they work for some knife fighters. As mentioned I'm not a knife fighter and don't carry a knife for SD how ever.
My anti-ring prejudice comes from disarming training of a rifle in CQC . If your finger is trapped in the trigger guard , you are in deep hurt if the opponent uses the available leverage to twist that long rifle around . This is less likely with a much shorter pistol length firearm or knife . Even less problem with a DE knife . But early painful lessons are hard to ignore . :eek:

8thWonder said:
I do not care about the extra weight
I've got a couple of 8 oz knives that I carry regularly; so I didn't think I cared about the weight & put a set of brass scales on a PM2.
Love the look, and feel...but the 7 oz PM rarely gets carried (though, the main reason - in all honesty - is that I'm just not a huge PM2 fan).
Be advised that the scales will patina, scuff, mar, and generally not be "pretty" for long.
AQgBxHQ.jpg

CSvmEzL.jpg

(Forgive the flash - it's too bright this morning for decent pictures, so I went for quick and easy)

Its your knife, wish as you do grasshopper.
If it were mine?
No on the gang.
No on the signet.
No on the scales.
Yes to the clip.

Im fine with g10. Copper is very heavy and smelly so hard pass for me. Brass is also heavy. Titanium is also a no go for me. Working in a machine shop and working with titanium and other aerospace alloys. I dont really see the appeal. Its strong and fairly light for metal yes, but on a knife its kind of unnecessary. Its always priced a little more than it should be IMO. That could be a whole other discussion though. That doesnt mean not looking for Ti scales for my bugout though...oh how hobbies rob us.

The signet ring would just annoy me sticking up like that and the fang would annoy me as well. It seems like it would hinder slicing at the portion of the blade. Im not the biggest "wave" fan either though. I did use a ziptie wave on my PM2 for a bit but took it off after some time. I guess im just not a tacticool kinda guy. To each his own though. Thats my opinion for what its not worth.

And I do not care about the extra weight

If you do not care then go for it. I am a fan of brass and copper and think they look great and I would give it a try.

Just keep in mind that copper is substantially heavier than steel. I think it is about 15% heavier. Copper scales will be heavy.

Here's what I'd do...
I wouldn't buy any of those do-dads , I'd buy a new knife with the features you're looking for.

But I always look for an excuse buy another knife.

I've got a couple of 8 oz knives that I carry regularly; so I didn't think I cared about the weight & put a set of brass scales on a PM2.
Love the look, and feel...but the 7 oz PM rarely gets carried (though, the main reason - in all honesty - is that I'm just not a huge PM2 fan).
Be advised that the scales will patina, scuff, mar, and generally not be "pretty" for long.
AQgBxHQ.jpg

CSvmEzL.jpg

(Forgive the flash - it's too bright this morning for decent pictures, so I went for quick and easy)
Thats what I was going for except with the DLC blade. I actually just bought the PM2 20cv dlt dlc and was thinking of putting those scales on it also

By the way 8 8thWonder , kudos to you for mastering the poll and photo features of BF right away. I shouldn't be surprised as you're a young pup, but it's nice not to have to run around clicking links to photo sharing sites.

Zieg

Last edited:
Back