Any information on the Mossberg no 26C rimfire rifle?

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
So my brother just moved back to NorCal from Arizona ( arrived today ) and he gave me an old .22 he had picked up really cheap at a gun show.
He said it wouldn't extract or anything, but I tested it with a primer only casing I emptied and it seems to function just fine.
Went pop the first time and ejected just fine ( I'm guessing the CCI's were a bit too hot for it )

Anyways the gun is a single shot Mossberg model 26C chambered in .22 S-L-LR, with the plastic trigger guard and lack of serial number
I'm thinking pre 60's but can't find any information about them at all.

I'd sure love to know how old it is, I'll do my best to lost pictures tomorrow after work if I'm not too sick.
It's kind of rough but really not too bad actually, it's "an old brown gun " as they say and the plastic trigger guard is broken but I can fix it.

Edit : read it wrong, it's actually the 26C:oops:
I'll probably find some information now.

Last edited:
Pre-war. Manufactured 1938-1941. Should have 24 inch barrel, plain birch stock with dark stain with no sling swivels and no places drilled for sling swivels, Mossberg's 1A front sight, and Mossberg's S102 rear sight.

Pre-war. Manufactured 1938-1941. Should have 24 inch barrel, plain birch stock with dark stain with no sling swivels and no places drilled for sling swivels, Mossberg's 1A front sight, and Mossberg's S102 rear sight.

Thanks, and now I know everything is as it should be.
I have not measured the barrel, but it's still got the original front sight dovetailed in so it's safe to assume it hasn't been cut down.

And based on that info I'm going to assume the trigger guard is likely Bakelite as I know that was the most common early plastic of the time.

It's broken so I'll have to repair it with epoxy putty, probably JB weld steel stick then paint it Black.

Thanks, and now I know everything is as it should be.
I have not measured the barrel, but it's still got the original front sight dovetailed in so it's safe to assume it hasn't been cut down.

And based on that info I'm going to assume the trigger guard is likely Bakelite as I know that was the most common early plastic of the time.

It's broken so I'll have to repair it with epoxy putty, probably JB weld steel stick then paint it Black.
26B had a 26 inch barrel.

The Mossberg trigger guards are fragile after decades. They are also prone to shrink. You used to be able to buy replacements. Check "Havlin sales".

https://www.havlinsales.com/

Vic Havlin is a Mossberg expert. President of the National Mossberg Collectors Association. I was a member for years until a couple of years ago.

I just checked. He has Model 26 trigger guards for $26. I'd buy one now if I were you. This old Mossberg .22LR rifles are excellent. "More Gun for the Money". But they are getting more and more collectable so I'd get a replacement trigger guard.

You can also call Havlin: 636-937-6401, Mon-Thur 9AM-2PM Central Time

There was a source for after marked aluminum trigger guards but can't recall where and don't know if they still exist.

Last edited:
26B had a 26 inch barrel.

The Mossberg trigger guards are fragile after decades. They are also prone to shrink. You used to be able to buy replacements. Check "Havlin sales".

https://www.havlinsales.com/

Vic Havlin is a Mossberg expert. President of the National Mossberg Collectors Association. I was a member for years until a couple of years ago.

I just checked. He has Model 26 trigger guards for $26. I'd buy one now if I were you. This old Mossberg .22LR rifles are excellent. "More Gun for the Money". But they are getting more and more collectable so I'd get a replacement trigger guard.

You can also call Havlin: 636-937-6401, Mon-Thur 9AM-2PM Central Time

There was a source for after marked aluminum trigger guards but can't recall where and don't know if they still exist.
It's done, thanks.

My first 22 rifle was a Mossberg semi. Loved that rifle and it shot really good after you mastered the trigger. I replaced a number of springs and pins in it over time and I honestly don't know if it even runs now. I have other 22 rifles that I choose to shoot over it. Not so hung up on semi auto's any more although I love my Weatherby and Thompson Center. Both shoot very well. The Ruger 10/22... just okay overall. I have never owned a single shot 22 rifle. One thing... you don't have to worry about replacing a lost magazine that way. My Mauser sometimes does not extract the empties.

My first 22 rifle was a Mossberg semi. Loved that rifle and it shot really good after you mastered the trigger. I replaced a number of springs and pins in it over time and I honestly don't know if it even runs now. I have other 22 rifles that I choose to shoot over it. Not so hung up on semi auto's any more although I love my Weatherby and Thompson Center. Both shoot very well. The Ruger 10/22... just okay overall. I have never owned a single shot 22 rifle. One thing... you don't have to worry about replacing a lost magazine that way. My Mauser sometimes does not extract the empties.

Surprisingly with how pro 2A and pro gun I am this is my first firearm.
I've stuck to just my airguns I can shoot indoors or in the backyard because I don't have time to find somewhere to shoot not do I have time to go to " buy " a gun then return 10 days later to pick it up and pay for it. ( Wanna be part of the solution not flee and let them have this state ) I knew I have to practice what I preach and actually own a firearm and a .22 to occasionally shoot is just the ticket to start with.

I offered my brother the $60 he payed for it telling him I'd have to get cash off my card and send it to him ( he had to leave his guns with me ) which he accepted but called me just after he left to tell me not to worry about paying him.

I'll be doing my best to fix this myself because i'm fairly good at stuff like this, and have watched enough gunsmith or repair videos on YouTube over the years that I know all of the basic stuff I feel.
At least enough for basic work on this.
It's funny how in the internet age someone with no firearms can learn a lot more about them than many people who own more than a few. But then again most people don't know crap about cars yet they own at least one.
I'm no expert but my interest has kept me informed over the years.

One thing I'm not to sure about is whether I can use a thick pillow or a couple of old folded blankets on the ground to test for function in my backyard.
I know technically it would probably not be legal, but two shots that may not be heard should be fine just so I can troubleshoot the supposed extraction problem.

Your choice on the pillow/blankets..... no big thing. I have done both over the years. If you get into shooting the 22, you can upgrade your bench type accessories. To test function, you can generally just head out to a national forest and do some shooting away from any houses. We even have a range in the one national forest about an hour's drive from me. I used to be a member of a club locally and shot at an indoor range from time to time; but I don't shoot enough now to spend the $ for memberships now. Priorities change over time.

I hope this 22 opens up new adventures for you.

I just found the rear sight elevation wheel for $19 shipped from a place called apertures and more.

I'm not positive if the trigger guard has actually been ordered, but at least I know this part has.

Here's the best picture I could get of the rifle.

Here's the broken warped and shrunk trigger guard.

I have always felt those plastic trigger guards were a weak link on Mossies. Mine never broke, but I haven't shot it in probably 10 years and it has been inside the house all that time.

Your lawn looks about like mine. :D

Prior the the 1968 Gun Control Act, Mossberg 22's had no serial numbers (as I recall). I don't recall if mine does or not as it was purchased about 1968 new.

In case you are not aware of Rimfire Central forum, it is everything rimfire. There are a couple big Mossberg junkies there.

Last edited:
I have always felt those plastic trigger guards were a weak link on Mossies. Mine never broke, but I haven't shot it in probably 10 years and it has been inside the house all that time.

Your lawn looks about like mine. :D

Prior the the 1968 Gun Control Act, Mossberg 22's had no serial numbers (as I recall). I don't recall if mine does or not as it was purchased about 1968 new.

In case you are not aware of Rimfire Central forum, it is everything rimfire. There are a couple big Mossberg junkies there.

Thanks for the heads up, I may check it out.

The trigger guard is actually only costing me $30 which is cool, he had a list of shipping costs and I assumed it would be the $8 when it was only the $4.
Now I just need the piece which the elevator actually interacts with.
I know nothing on the rear sight leaf itself is threaded, and I'm sure there's gotta be another part.

A couple of things...

1. Mossbergs had some of the best barrels ever made in their .22's. They have a serious reputation for accuracy even today, and you have to spend a lot of money to do better.

2. If your accuracy is off first check the crown (muzzle end of the barrel). Any nicks or dings here make a big difference, and they're common. Recutting crown is a very easy, worthwhile, job that can be done with common hand tools.

3. If you're having ejector problems the cause is usually one of two things. First, the gun is dirty, and needs a deep, total tear down cleaning. Crud (usually hardened grease on long stored guns) builds up in the spring detent hole that provides spring pressure and make the extractor work. (Caution - if you do this yourself make sure you do not bend or lose the spring when assembling/disassembling the bolt.) Don't forget to clean out the slot the extractor fits into when the bolt is locked with a sharp pick; junk tends to get in there. Second, the extractor is rounded off with use and no longer has the proper geometry to grab the lip of the cartridge. This is less common but does happen. This can be fixed buy simply stoning the extractor to the correct, sharp, flat, hook.

4. I'm pretty sure the part you need for the rear sight is a flat stepped piece that slides back and forth in a cut down the center of the sight. A closer picture would confirm that. That was a less expensive option used for many .22's for decades. It's often lost.

Another good source for parts is Jack First in South Dakota. Buds Gun Shop in Paris, KY is another.

A couple of things...

1. Mossbergs had some of the best barrels ever made in their .22's. They have a serious reputation for accuracy even today, and you have to spend a lot of money to do better.

2. If your accuracy is off first check the crown (muzzle end of the barrel). Any nicks or dings here make a big difference, and they're common. Recutting crown is a very easy, worthwhile, job that can be done with common hand tools.

3. If you're having ejector problems the cause is usually one of two things. First, the gun is dirty, and needs a deep, total tear down cleaning. Crud (usually hardened grease on long stored guns) builds up in the spring detent hole that provides spring pressure and make the extractor work. (Caution - if you do this yourself make sure you do not bend or lose the spring when assembling/disassembling the bolt.) Don't forget to clean out the slot the extractor fits into when the bolt is locked with a sharp pick; junk tends to get in there. Second, the extractor is rounded off with use and no longer has the proper geometry to grab the lip of the cartridge. This is less common but does happen. This can be fixed buy simply stoning the extractor to the correct, sharp, flat, hook.

4. I'm pretty sure the part you need for the rear sight is a flat stepped piece that slides back and forth in a cut down the center of the sight. A closer picture would confirm that. That was a less expensive option used for many .22's for decades. It's often lost.

Another good source for parts is Jack First in South Dakota. Buds Gun Shop in Paris, KY is another.
Thanks for the tips.

The piece I need is not what you're thinking ( my Crosman and Daisy airguns use ' em I know what you're talking about )
This sight has a screw hole in it, uses a knob/screw which I've already ordered. I'm missing whatever threaded piece the elevation knob/screw screws into I think , the sight leaf itself doesn't appear threaded.

Thank you for the information anyways, I'm sure some Hoppes will get the job done.

Last edited:
I just got my rear sight elevator screw and it doesn't fit, I don't even see how it could do anything if it did fit.
It seems like the hole should be threaded when it's not, and the slot in the bottom piece would prevent it from turning with the flat tip it has.

I have not been able to find a picture of an original that isn't in the sight so I don't know if the repro I bought is actually right like it's supposed to be.

I got the rear sight figured out pretty much.
The hole is threaded, it was just filled with gunk., and it's reverse threaded.
The screw has a secondary little keyed screw in the tip which fits into the slot in the base of the rear sight.

Last edited:
You could get some sub sonic ammo if you're concerned about shooting it in your back yard. SS is very accurate also.--KV

You could get some sub sonic ammo if you're concerned about shooting it in your back yard. SS is very accurate also.--KV
I may pick some up and try a couple shots.
If it's not loud nobody will know, and legal or not as long as I'm safe about it I'll have no problem.
I've got multiple good sturdy low to the ground backstops I shoot all my airguns at, one being a dirt burn so the noise is the only real issue.

I may pick some up and try a couple shots.
If it's not loud nobody will know, and legal or not as long as I'm safe about it I'll have no problem.
I've got multiple good sturdy low to the ground backstops I shoot all my airguns at, one being a dirt burn so the noise is the only real issue.
Open the back door and shoot from inside the house.
I had a doe deer walking around in my back yard with an arrow sticking out of it about 10 years ago and needed to put it down. Not my arrow.
I opened the back door and standing about 10 ft inside the kitchen, shot it with a Model 94 in .32 Winchester Special. A 30-30 equivalent. My neighbor who was home about 50 yards away never heard a thing.--I forgot to mention, use hearing protection. My ears rang for 2 days afterward.--KV

Last edited:
Open the back door and shoot from inside the house.
I've got a dog so if it's loud I'm just not gonna do it.
I'll certainly give it a try and see just how loud it is , the barrel is long enough to contain a lot of the blast noise.
There's also those aguilla things, I think they're primer only so they might not make it out my rifle barrel but I gotta clean it real well and get the headspace issue figured out if I expect any kind of accuracy out of it.

Back