Any Interest in a BESS Sharpness Competition?

I'd like to see what some of these free hand gurus come up with.

I'd also like to see some of these guys that claim a sub 50 BESS score on a wicked edge.

Having used a Wicked Edge sharpening system for approximately 2 years, I'm probably average and can get a BESS of 150-175 on reasonably acute super steels. I would be happy to join the competition if you needed someone like me, but, I have already said the best I can do is maybe 150 BESS.

It a cool idea nonetheless.

Just poking around I came across this sharpness contest results.
Sharpest Knife Contest UK (bessex.com)

1. @Diemaker
2. @Seffrey
3. M Mr.Wizard

We got em.

These guys are Hard chargers, they got Moxie.

I'll get to Grinding, let's kill some belts.

We'll go thin AF with water-cooled grinding and $$$ sharp belts (dull belts make friction/heat)

We want these blades to sharpen easy with thin geometry so you guys can put those apex skills to the test.

I'm very excited to have you for this competition.

The idea is that each of you trailblazers will be mailed a knife blank full flat grinded to 0.005" pleateu, no edge.

All three will be the same steel and HT.

There are no rules for how you choose to sharpen.

Your objective is to create an edge that will push cut the BESS media with the least amount of weight in grams from tip to heel on the blade.
The lowest average of scores will be the winner.

You'll not be judged on how the bevel looks, let's keep it simple.

You'll have 1 week to sharpen the blade, that way we all aren't waiting forever.
*(Exceptions case by case basis for health, family events and accidents)

There are no prizes for the winner but the event is free. (It costs me money, so appreciate this S***)

We'll see if this is interesting enough to expand further in the future or just a something to keep small and esoteric.

After the competition, we'll discuss sharpening stones and techniques. Should be very interesting for discussion rather than what we have done on the forum in the past. Let's keep our minds open.

Steel and Hardness will not be revealed until the Live Video Test day.

For the test itself.

I'd like to do a LIVE video, that way there is no question about the results, we'll all see them together.

We'll unbox the knives from the mail packages and get to it.

It will be important for the competitors to clean the blade and edge nicely, I will not clean or touch the blade prior to testing.

We'll have to get creative with the packaging of the edges, we don't want any interference from things used to package the blades.

For testing the blade there will be 4 test areas.

0.25" from tip, the belly, the straight, and 0.25" from the heel area.

The spirit of this is to get the full representation of the edge and to show ones prowless as a sharpener to get some of the often missed areas on edge.

Am I forgetting anything? Any ideas? Things to add or discuss?

-Shawn

DeadboxHero DeadboxHero I have never used the BESS tester. Would you mind including a small quantity of the test filament with the knife? It will at least give me an idea of what I am aiming for.

I would like to hear each of the contestants planned methodology.

From some previous post it seems...

1. Diemaker - Seems like an Edge Pro guy?
2. Seffrey - Mystery man with only one post. The wildcard. ???
3. Mr.Wizard - Seems like a guided sharpener guy, but, I'm not sure.??

I didn't read many posts so I could be wrong.

I'd like to see what some of these free hand gurus come up with.

I'd also like to see some of these guys that claim a sub 50 BESS score on a wicked edge.

Having used a Wicked Edge sharpening system for approximately 2 years, I'm probably average and can get a BESS of 150-175 on reasonably acute super steels. I would be happy to join the competition if you needed someone like me, but, I have already said the best I can do is maybe 150 BESS.

It a cool idea nonetheless.

Just poking around I came across this sharpness contest results.
Sharpest Knife Contest UK (bessex.com)

I've had my Wicked Edge a little less than a year now, and I love it. But I don't care about trying to turn a knife into a razor blade. I like a good sharp blade at stronger working angles around 20dps, rather than acute razor angles. Most of the time I don't go beyond a nice toothy edge of 600 - 800 grit.
It seems to me that in a push cutting test where the test media is 0.0095" thick, the more acute apex will win. But I'm still learning and find it all interesting.

Last edited:
MRLJVMF.jpg

Dykem is drying, scribe em and grind em.

Sharpening Competitors
@Diemaker @Seffrey M Mr.Wizard

Introduce yourselves for the audience.
Folks want to know these Bold guys are that stepped up when the call went out for competition.

1.Name, Age?

2. How long have you been a sharpener?

3. Preferred method of sharpening? (Freehand, belt sander, Edge Pro, WE, TSPROF etc)

4. What type of blades/knives/tools do you normally sharpen?

5. What's your go to edge angle and stone progression for knives you normally use?

6. Excited to be here? What brought you to the competition?

7. Have you used a BESS tester?

8. Do you own a BESS tester? What model?

Much appreciated.

-Shawn

Last edited:
I would like to hear each of the contestants planned methodology.

From some previous post it seems...

1. Diemaker - Seems like an Edge Pro guy?
2. Seffrey - Mystery man with only one post. The wildcard. ???
3. Mr.Wizard - Seems like a guided sharpener guy, but, I'm not sure.??

I didn't read many posts so I could be wrong.
It's quite exciting, I can't wait to test their work, who knows what they will come up with.

Sharpening Competitors

Introduce yourselves for the audience.

1. Name, Age?

Paul, 40.

I started sharpening my own knives around 2010. I don't know yet that I deserve to call myself a sharpener.

3. Preferred method of sharpening? (Freehand, belt sander, Edge Pro, WE, TSPROF etc)

Freehand and Edge Pro. Typically coarse grits freehand and fine on the EP.

Low end kitchen knives, some pocket knives and scissors. A few decent knives of my own or that I have given as gifts.

5. What's your go to edge angle and stone progression for knives you normally use?

Knives I see for the first time are usually thick and very blunt, so I start by thinning if the owner permits it, or by applying a wide relief bevel if not. I'll even up the latter on the EP and edge bevel with F220 to F600 aluminum oxide stones, then finish with an Idahone rod, leather strop (bare or pasted), or cardboard; whatever seems right at the time based on the feel of the stones prior. Generally about a 34° (inclusive) edge.

On harder carbon knives I like to use silicon carbide stones as fine as F1200, and maybe a Naniwa Super Stone 5000 or the EP polish tapes. Under 30° here though not by a lot, but I keep the edge bevel narrow.

On my own utility knives I'll often skip the Edge Pro and just finish up freehand. I find that thin geometry and a bit of bite is more relevant to me than actual sharpness. I keep one pocket knife with a polished edge and a splinter-picking tip for delicate tasks. Most kitchen knives over about 4 inches get the Edge Pro as it is very fast with a known angle and little edge damage.

I am honored to be included and given the chance to work with something better than I typically see. I expect the steel to be a challenge to work well and I am looking forward to learning from it.

Very cool idea - thanks DeadboxHero, for organizing. Thanks to the 3 participants who accepted the invitations, so that I/we can continue to learn from this unique perspective.

A very humble guy Mr Paul.

I'm happy to have you here, thanks for sharing.

Reminds how often we all forget to take the time to get to know each other here. If you think about it, anyone that posts here is a very passionate person about knives and edges.

I look forward to seeing your work.

-Shawn

1. Name, Age?

Paul, 40.

I started sharpening my own knives around 2010. I don't know yet that I deserve to call myself a sharpener.

Freehand and Edge Pro. Typically coarse grits freehand and fine on the EP.

Low end kitchen knives, some pocket knives and scissors. A few decent knives of my own or that I have given as gifts.

Knives I see for the first time are usually thick and very blunt, so I start by thinning if the owner permits it, or by applying a wide relief bevel if not. I'll even up the latter on the EP and edge bevel with F220 to F600 aluminum oxide stones, then finish with an Idahone rod, leather strop (bare or pasted), or cardboard; whatever seems right at the time based on the feel of the stones prior. Generally about a 34° (inclusive) edge.

On harder carbon knives I like to use silicon carbide stones as fine as F1200, and maybe a Naniwa Super Stone 5000 or the EP polish tapes. Under 30° here though not by a lot, but I keep the edge bevel narrow.

On my own utility knives I'll often skip the Edge Pro and just finish up freehand. I find that thin geometry and a bit of bite is more relevant to me than actual sharpness. I keep one pocket knife with a polished edge and a splinter-picking tip for delicate tasks. Most kitchen knives over about 4 inches get the Edge Pro as it is very fast with a known angle and little edge damage.

I am honored to be included and given the chance to work with something better than I typically see. I expect the steel to be a challenge to work well and I am looking forward to learning from it.

Last edited:
Back