Any Interest in a BESS Sharpness Competition?

Sharpening Competitors
D Diemaker S Seffrey M Mr.Wizard

Introduce yourselves for the audience.
Folks want to know these Bold guys are that stepped up when the call went out for competition.

1.Name, Age?

2. How long have you been a sharpener?

3. Preferred method of sharpening? (Freehand, belt sander, Edge Pro, WE, TSPROF etc)

4. What type of blades/knives/tools do you normally sharpen?

5. What's your go to edge angle and stone progression for knives you normally use?

6. Excited to be here? What brought you to the competition?

7. Have you used a BESS tester?

8. Do you own a BESS tester? What model?

Much appreciated.

-Shawn

1. Seth, 30
2. Since I attended culinary school but only seriously the last 3 years.
3. Freehand
4. All kinds
5. I’ve never been able to measure my own edge angle but as low as I possibly can without making the bevel look dumb. I use a mixture of shapton glass, suehiro debado, and chosera for simple carbon steels and venev resin bonded diamond for everything else. It really depends on the knife what progression I use so that’s hard to answer.
6. Ya for sure! I’m looking forward to being the first group to start these competitions off. I’m not big on d*ck measuring contests anymore but I feel like I can set a decent bar for future competition. I haven’t been pushing myself with sharpening lately and I feel like this competition will help rekindle my passion for it.
7. Never, so I’m interested to see what my edges score. I’ve also never been tasked to apex an unground knife either so that’s going to be interesting lol.

Seth, Welcome Abroad.

A sharpeners sharpener I see, most exciting.

It takes big coconuts to jump into the fray and face the unknown.

We all should walk away from this better than before so it's going to be a good event. I'll run it to the best of my knowledge and ability.

There is good sport to be had here.

Competition breeds excellence.

Thanks for joining.

1. Seth, 30
2. Since I attended culinary school but only seriously the last 3 years.
3. Freehand
4. All kinds
5. I’ve never been able to measure my own edge angle but as low as I possibly can without making the bevel look dumb. I use a mixture of shapton glass, suehiro debado, and chosera for simple carbon steels and venev resin bonded diamond for everything else. It really depends on the knife what progression I use so that’s hard to answer.
6. Ya for sure! I’m looking forward to being the first group to start these competitions off. I’m not big on d*ck measuring contests anymore but I feel like I can set a decent bar for future competition. I haven’t been pushing myself with sharpening lately and I feel like this competition will help rekindle my passion for it.
7. Never, so I’m interested to see what my edges score. I’ve also never been tasked to apex an unground knife either so that’s going to be interesting lol.

I really appreciate that Shawn! Thanks for putting this all together and grinding out those knives. Thank Shawn for his hard work you savages!

I was being reserved at first to scope out the room but lemme tell ya! I’m here to drop my meat on the table BRUTHER! hawOOOOooo Y’all better bring your A game. I wanna see double digits!

Hahaha

I really appreciate that Shawn! Thanks for putting this all together and grinding out those knives. Thank Shawn for his hard work you savages!

I was being reserved at first to scope out the room but lemme tell ya! I’m here to drop my meat on the table BRUTHER! hawOOOOooo Y’all better bring your A game. I wanna see double digits!

1.Name, Age?
David, 50s

I started when I was 3 or 4, seriously. I don't remember anyone sharpening any of my knives after this. They get dull, time to sharpen them. Not that I really knew what I was doing but I got the job done. My born-again moment happened when I got possession of the prototype EP Apex to redesign for plastic injection molding. That is when I started to learn how to sharpen a knife.

3. Preferred method of sharpening? (Freehand, belt sander, Edge Pro, WE, TSPROF etc)

Guided sharpener all the way, EP only, pretty most. My current sharpener is a homemade unit, think aluminum knock-off of an EP Pro-ish.

All of my scissors and knives. Chisels on the powered diamond wheel and lawnmower blades with either the file or angle grinder.

5. What's your go to edge angle and stone progression for knives you normally use?

30 degrees, 15 per side, and 80 to 4k Matrix stones with a 1-micron diamond loaded leather strop or bare leather on less than "super" steels.

Of course, and competitive spirit.

Not yet.

Soon, but I need to tell my wife, and you know how that goes. The A model of course.

Last edited:
David, first one to jump in.

Boldness.

Very happy to see that.
Competitive spirit indeed. :D

Gets me motivated to go eat some grit and get these blades going.

I'm very excited to see your work.

Thanks for joining us, thanks for sharing.

-Shawn

1.Name, Age?
David, 50s

I started when I was 3 or 4, seriously. I don't remember anyone sharpening any of my knives after this. They get dull, time to sharpen them. Not that I really knew what I was doing but it got the job done. My born-again moment happened when I got possession of the prototype EP Apex to redesign for plastic injection molding. That is when I started to learn how to sharpen a knife.

Guided sharpener all the way, EP only, pretty most. My current sharpener is a homemade unit, think aluminum knock-off of an EP Pro-ish.

All of my scissors and knives. Chisels on the powered diamond wheel and lawnmower blades with either the file or angle grinder.

30 degrees, 15 per side, and 80 to 4k Matrix stones with a 1-micron diamond loaded leather strop or bare leather on less than "super" steels.

Of course, and competitive spirit.

Not yet.

Soon, but I need to tell my wife, and you know how that goes. The A model of course.

Loving this energy

The announcement- inspired poetry.
road circuit not oval, civil sunrise we flocked, no traffic, watch for helicopter's (we told you that's not fair, wait just the news), coveys of quail, fox, beaver, otter, deer n pigs n bear, back n forth across the coastal range for breakfast; then up an over the ranges, Sierra's / Cascade's / Tehachapi's / Baja's for dinner; the back marker privateer's on their pace for the joy of dancing with gravity; corner workers and communications volunteer, leaders lap n lead. Remember, tell the young, we compete and not everyone gets a prize, but you best understand: Mars, Paris to Dakar, Isle of Man, Baja, ..., Ocean of Fire, ....., 776BC Olympics, "men of renown," in our image n likeness.

We want HeavyHanded HeavyHanded in there.

No HeavyHanded, no peace.

:cool:

Imma sit this one out. All my numbers from the beta testing are on the original thread. Thin geometry makes a big difference, the best number I pulled was <15 with an overstropped edge. 40s - 50s were average for a contientious, workmanlike job done on my old Washboard set up.

I don't recall using any of my other stone sets.

I see I'm late to the party, but i would love to participate at the earliest opportunity. I'd even be willing to pay to enter and get the blade back at the end or something. Losers pay for the winners knife. Whatever I gotta do!

Now THIS is a fun idea Shawn.

I only saw this thread today so missed out on putting my hand up but count me in for the next round!

Shawn, What is your idea of the timeline? Just to give us an idea of what to expect so we can schedule it. My tester gets here in a week.

Nice, cant wait to see you pros on that one. And carefully center that center unit on the bess tester? Slightly
off center gives faulty measurements. But that you guys already knows.

Back