1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Any love for Schrade Old Timer slipjoints made in China>?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by lonestar1979, Apr 3, 2017.

1. NMpops

NMpops

Aug 9, 2010
    I bought a Taylor Schrade 72 OTB for several reasons. First I wanted to save wear and tear on my USA 72 OT. But also because they are stainless steel and living in the rust belt I have less to worry about. I have been pleasantly surprised at the excellent F&F and the edge holding.

2. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    Nope.

-- Mark

3. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
  4. AndreLinoge

AndreLinoge

Nov 20, 2014
    Yeap.. cant be talking about the conditions in which the knives are made tho... Its *cencored*.

5. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    It's not censored it's part of this Forum's guidelines, which are available for those who bother to read. You can discuss it in Political all you like.

I've had a couple of their 3 OT lock backs which are very tolerable in F&F, good lockup, no play. The Delrin one certainly is an unappealing colour but can't fault the build. Steel seems perfectly OK too. An inexpensive knife that can be put to less than delicate tasks.

Shot of the Buffalo Horn 3 OT, very good lineup between tang&spring. Nice solid little knife with some style too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  6. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    There are rules here.
    Taken from the guidelines, http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ional-Folders-amp-Fixed-Blades-quot-Sub-Forum
    This is a knife discussion forum not a political forum. Any further communication between you and I will be via email, please. This thread has been sidetracked enough.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  7. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    Tough issue demanding steady moderation. Thank you Gary and Frank for keeping things on an even keel. :thumbup:

I'll take a run at this without the politics.

IMO, a traditional knife is traditional if and only if it's tied to the traditions of the culture that produced it. When a traditional pattern is removed from the culture that produced the design, it's no longer traditional - it's simply a knock-off - a trinket.

This has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with a connection to roots. When I hold a Case Sodbuster, I'm holding a legacy of German immigrants who came to the US and brought their design with them. You can trace the legacy of the knife back through the factory and moves.

Take that same design and produce it in a different country... a cultural thread is cut. It's simply less traditional. Can you imagine a Finnish Opinel? A Spanish SAK? Not unless there was a compelling immigration story connecting them.

The Taylor-Schrades are, imo, in the same bin as the imported Buck "traditionals", the Rough Riders and Marbles. They feel like wraiths. The knife equivalent of the undead. They have no soul.

I carried a French Opinel today and cut tonight's potatoes with a USA Schrade H-15. I consider those Traditional knives.

coffeemike likes this.
  8. seas165

seas165

Feb 2, 2014
    ^^^ this

9. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    no. At least five characters. :thumbdn:

10. Ray5118

Ray5118

Dec 23, 2010
    Exactly !

Use of the Schrade name is just wrong !

11. Carbon12

Carbon12

Oct 8, 2013
    I have recently realized the value of a beater knife, so for that purpose I use an 8OT that was gifted to me a few years ago. I really like the pattern. Overall a pretty good knife that holds a very decent edge despite some hard use. Qualifies as pretty good in my book. Would replace it with same if lost or broken but I don't plan on having a collection of post-2004 Schrades as that just wouldn't feel authentic.

12. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    I got 5 of them so far. My Ironwood OT8 Stockman and my Lumberjack in Bone are the best the 120 peanut is good but the Imperial Cigar Pattern the blades were too tight. Love my Imperial 340 . So it is a mixed bag.

The USA are the most consistant.

13. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    Spanish Army Knife, issued to our Spanish troops since the 1960's

[​IMG]

that's a SAK, maybe not a Swiss SAK, but a piece of our history nonetheless, starting more than half a century ago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Nicely said:thumbup:

15. MarkPinTx

MarkPinTx

Aug 21, 2003
    I too have a Wrangler that is pretty decent and compares pretty well to latter production Schrades.

Like a lot of you/us, I wanted nothing to do with Schrades that weren't Schrades, but enough time has elapsed that I didn't ultimately mind, and getting a pattern that was hard to find even before Schrade went under was kind of a bonus.

Schrade was the trademark of a number of companies sharing a common lineage that ultimately ran themselves out of business. Can't blame anyone but Schrade for that.

The law recognizes that a trademark loses its association with its owner after 3 years of non-use (it becomes abandoned). I found that even though the Schrade mark remained in use by "interlopers" and on knives not made in the USA, the association with the former knives/company for me kind of died out over the years and I took a flier on one and was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  16. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I feel the same and would rather have a rough rider as they are solely a Chinese company , and they are too inexpensive not to like to a degree.
    Though as an inexpensive knife the Chinese schrades are still decent, decent as a knife but not so much as a " Shcrade " knife.

17. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    Interest? Not at all.

18. calvinw

calvinw

Feb 28, 2012
    Not interested - especially because old stock (or lightly used) originals are still available.

I don't mind Chinese made knives in general, but if I were in the market for a Schrade today, I'd buy an original. They're readily available now, which may not be the case in another 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  19. jerok8

jerok8

Aug 6, 2015
    Good users, in my book.

20. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Taylor got rid of the defective design used by Schrade, known as 'The Swendon Key'. It did make the knives look a little prettier, but they were not as durable as through pin construction. IMHO the Swendon Key was a major factor in Schrade US closing. Before making them in-house, Buck switched from Schrade building the 300 series to Camillus, because of too many Schrade built 300 series coming in with a broken key or keyway. Why didn't Schrade, who also guaranteed their knives "forever" abandon the key construction, when it became obvious from the number of knives returned for repair that it was a bad design?