Any Love For Spyderco Bow River?

I know that it is a lower priced Spyderco, but I really like the design. I just ordered one and was wondering if anyone likes them?

It is Spyderco's cheapest fixed blade knife (excluding the polypylene/plastic handled kitchen knives) and the only one (I believe) that is made w/8Cr13MoV steel which among Spyderco's folders is limited to the "Value" and byrd lines, which are also made in China, including some very popular knives like the Tenacious.

There are a lot of people who refuse (or dislike) buying anything made in China for political reasons and/or those who think (as they did in the 50's in connection w/Japanese made goods) that things made in China are necessarily of lesser quality.

I am not one of these people. However, I also am not a fan of the Bow River.

Not because I think it's inferior because of the steel used or where it's made but because the Bow River is not particularly "unique" and because I already have many other fixed blade knives similiar to the Bow River.

I also do not like the pattern/appearance of the knife which is just a matter of personal taste and has nothing to do w/the quality of the knife itself.

However, if you do not have a knife like the Bow River already and don't mind how it looks, I think that it would be an functional and versatile knife to carry/use outdoors or even in the kitchen and it is a cheaper option if you can't afford something more expensive, whether made by Spyderco or not.

Last edited:
I like it, it's different enough from my other fixed blades
MvsO9YU.gif

It's a phenomenal knife for the price and among the best deals you can get from Spyderco in my opinion. I've gifted several to friends and family who fish and they all seem to really like them.

ThuLaGC.jpg

I've become a bit of a steel snob I'm afraid, so I am personally waiting (hoping) that one is released in a premium steel at some point. I think it would be especially cool if a premium version was made in Golden considering it's a Phil Wilson design and his interest in knife making was sparked by his Grandfather making knives for his uncles to carry during WWII.

It's a phenomenal knife for the price and among the best deals you can get from Spyderco in my opinion. I've gifted several to friends and family who fish and they all seem to really like them.

I picked one up to try swapping out my fillet knife for cleaning trout. Couldn't resist the black dlc and green handle of the dealer exclusive.

I have been pleased with the 8Cr13MoV on mine. I have not done a ton with it but it did take a crisp edge; seems like a high hardness blade. I'm not blowing smoke, I have had plenty of knives not perform!

I'm still wishing for a US made fixed blade line, a Phil Wilson design seems like a natural choice. I still think the Bow River at such a good price point was a good idea.

I own one, have used it and I like it. Very light and nimble. Well suited for food prep. Not the tool I would choose for firecraft or bushcraft. I plan on making a Kydex sheath for it. Given its size it could even be carried as a necker if you feel inclined to do so.

Mikel

I always wanted one of the sprigs and never jumped on it. Of course when I finally decided to buy one they were gone

I always wanted one of the sprigs and never jumped on it. Of course when I finally decided to buy one they were gone

^^^^ This :(

I bought 3 Bow Rivers (2 with optional Bolteron Sheaths) as gifts to my family after they first came out. All 3 have held up well with only my son snapping the tip off doing something it wasn't made for. I'd love to see a S35VN BR out of the China Maker(soon to be released S35VN Tenacious) , As Sal has stated he doesn't like changing factories once a knife has been established.

I wish they would bring back the sprig but in a new steel. Maybe that SPY27 stuff

I'm convinced, ordered today. Reminds me of an ESEE HM. I think it would make a good camp food-prep tool.

Love mine, it fit's perfectly in the knife section of my lederhosen. Just looking for a second leather sheath.

I bought 3 when they came out, gifted two to family members, we all love them. Just ordered one of the tan/od green handled exclusives to have a back up again. The satin one was cheaper than the standard model by a couple of bucks. May try dying the scales a solid green.

Back