Any love for the American Lawman?

Thinking of picking up an American Lawman. I know its an older design, not real flashy, but looks good, feels good, and is priced right.

Convince me its a good choice.

Suggestions welcome.

One of the most useful edc/work knives on the market. Very strong, great blade with excellent steel, nice size for edc and heavy work, and good price. The fact that it is an older design means nothing. Look at the PM2 and Delica. Before I got mine, I never liked black coated blades. After having this knife and the Recon1, I dont mind the black coating of at all.

One of the most useful edc/work knives on the....hang on, exactly what whp said +1, the Lawman is my favourite Cold Steel for EDC!

I love the American Lawman. I gave mine to a family member who was starting a career in Law Enforcement. Like many Cold Steel models, I am waiting for a satin, or stone-washed version.

Get it, you won't be disappointed.
25038050641_f43361514e_h.jpg

IMO the American Lawman is THE best Cold Steel folder design if its size range(about 8-8.5 inch overall). Although it's been in the market since 2009/2010 nothing that comes after can quite beat it. I personally have every single iteration of the American lawman and currently own 8 of them(3x AUS8A, 2x XHP black, 2x XHP tan, 1x XHP brown). I know this sounds crazy, but people collect Spyderco Paramilitary 2 while i collect Lawman.
IMO the Lawman is also one of the best mid-size EDC knife in the market currently. For about $75 you get XHP steel, Triad Lock, high traction G-10 and it only weights 3.9oz(at least the post-2015 version). At this price i don't think you can find anything in the market that has better steel, stronger lock and lighter weight. The knife that people most often compare it to is the Spyderco Paramilitary 2/Manix 2, but they are both more expensive and aren't necessarily better as a work knife(unless you love to fidget your knife).

If you are still not convinced, you can check these videos out, by some of the popular knife reviewer on youtube. BTW the first video shows the 2017 Flat Dark Earth model with the new flat grind(pre-2017 model are high hollow grind):

BTW here's the comparison between the pre-2017 hollow grind lawman vs post-2017 flat grind version. They are both my knives so i can confirm this.

2015 version - Hollow grind - edge don't sharpen all the way to the end
13651786_195119297569652_870578569_n.jpg

2017 - Flat grind - edge sharpen all the way with more crisp line between blade grind and the ricasso
20987441_1941468059426309_8014804274535989248_n.jpg

BTW here's the comparison between the pre-2017 hollow grind lawman vs post-2017 flat grind version. They are both my knives so i can confirm this.

2015 version - Hollow grind - edge don't sharpen all the way to the end
13651786_195119297569652_870578569_n.jpg

2017 - Flat grind - edge sharpen all the way with more crisp line between blade grind and the ricasso
20987441_1941468059426309_8014804274535989248_n.jpg

So far, in images, I've only seen the colored variants of CS knives with the new flat grind. Did the standard black models receive this treatment as well? If so, I may need to pick up a new Lawman.

So far, in images, I've only seen the colored variants of CS knives with the new flat grind. Did the standard black models receive this treatment as well? If so, I may need to pick up a new Lawman.
You are right, so far only the brand new 2017 models has the new grind. I personally haven't seen non-FDE model with the new grind yet. I'm sure it will come, but more slowly as CS and retailers need to get rid of the old stocks first. If you are buying other color, you might wanna ask the sellers to check the grind(sending them a picture of what you expected would help).
BTW another subtle change to the new 2017 model is that they finished the lockbar a bit better so that the back of the lockbar(near the actuation point) does not exceed the handle. The new one sits flush/below the handle.
Will post a picture later to better describe this.

Fabulous knife. Great steel, terrifically strong lock, excellent ergos, smooth open/close, carries easily IWB or in the pocket, and the DLC coating is very easy to clean, even pitch. Great price, too.

Fabulous knife. Great steel, terrifically strong lock, excellent ergos, smooth open/close, carries easily IWB or in the pocket, and the DLC coating is very easy to clean, even pitch. Great price, too.
The ergonomics are great.

Any love for the American Lawman?

Nope, we all hate the American Lawman. I hate it so much, that I own the 1st 3 gens, and an about to buy the 4th (flat saber grind)

The Lawman and PM2 are both excellent knives for work and edc. The Lawman is priced better.

Handled one before. Loved it. Definitely on my wishlist. I bought the Code 4 already, though, so it'll be awhile before I can make another big knife purchase. Highly likely the American Lawman will be the next one (always wanted a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 but I'm not sure I'll be very happy with the S30V). Ever since I handled it, I couldn't get it out of my mind. Just that I had to choose between the American Lawman and the Code 4, and the Code 4 edged ahead that day as it's quite a bit cheaper for a larger knife with the same steel and full metal construction.

Back