Any love for the Mercator KAT knife?

If it were legal to carry where I live, I would carry the good old Mercator KAT in my pocket. It is a slim blade, but there is something so clean and mean about it. It feels like a handy tool as well as a good defense knife. My understanding is that German soldiers in both WWI and WWII carried these as standard issue. I can see why.
Does anyone else here love this folder?

It's a great slim and trim traditional design. I lean heavily towards modern folders, but the K55K is a classic that will always make me grin.

Heck yeah man. So slim and cool looking, and that carbon is a dream to make razor.

I got one recently, it's a nice knife, though since 1 handed opening and pocket clip is important to me, it's not one I carry...though if it was all I had I would certainly make do with it.

It wasn't an issue knife, to the best of my knowledge, but rather an extremely common private purchase item. :)

It is known variously as the K55k, Black Cat or simply Mercator. A lot of German soldiers carried them, which meant that a lot of G.I.s ended up with them and brought them home after the war. For a time they were sold in this country for about a buck a copy. The story goes that in the '50s or early 60's they were popular with hoods in the Bronx.

It is a simple lockback, with a folded steel handle and a carbon or stainless spear point blade just under 4" long. It doesn't cut like an Opinel, but it is a decent utility knife. I like mine and carry it often. The German manufacturer, Otter Messer, now offers an all brass version which is at present unobtanium in this country except through Best Made, which wants way too much money for it.

I would love to own a Mercator but considering it is going for the same price as a Vic Pioneer, I don't ever see it happening. The Pioneer is a much better blade, IMO.

It is known variously as the K55k, Black Cat or simply Mercator. A lot of German soldiers carried them, which meant that a lot of G.I.s ended up with them and brought them home after the war. For a time they were sold in this country for about a buck a copy. The story goes that in the '50s or early 60's they were popular with hoods in the Bronx.

Hey! I'm from the Bronx, and I carried one in the early 60's in high school! Whattaya mean "hoods"? :(

o7uF6SH.jpg

Brass mercator is one of my favorites

I liked mine but was ultimately bothered by the warped blade and the fact that the edge hit the back spring, I sold it.

From Fist, Stick, Knife, Gun by Geoffrey Canada page 71:
2ighwk6.jpg

I've never considered that an acceptable opening method, and never will.
Really? With a cat I wouldn't be sure if it wouod work well as they have some strong springs, but on a 110 or Spydie I feel plenty safe doing it. Not something to do in mixed company of course, it can scare people.

Connor

From Fist, Stick, Knife, Gun by Geoffrey Canada page 71:
2ighwk6.jpg

What is wrong with this picture? The Mercator is not 10 inches long, does not have a 5 inch blade and does not have a button to unlock the blade. Sounds more like a stiletto of some sort.

Mine has a 3.5" blade and 4+3/8" handle. Just measured now. There is a lock release through the back of the handle that works like a normal lockback whe depressed.

Back