Any makers in the St Louis area?

Don't know if this is the right place to post this or not, but I am looking for any knife makers in the St Louis and St Charles area who would be willing to help out someone starting down the path of knife making.

This is something I have been wanting to do for a long time and I am looking for someone who would be willing to share what they have learned. Don't get me wrong here, this forum is full of great knowledge and how to's. It just isn't quite the same as handing something that you have been working on to someone who knows what they are looking at and can tell/show you what you are doing wrong (or right) and point you in the right direction or make suggestions for improvement.

If there is anyone in this area who would like to share their craft with a noob starting out who is wanting to learn, please let me know.

Thanks for reading.

I believe there are quite a few around you, not sure. I'm originally from Hillsboro, south of stl. I live in sedalia now; straight out 70 and down to 50. I am just getting started as well. But if you ever want to come out for a day you are more than welcome to.

I believe there are quite a few around you, not sure. I'm originally from Hillsboro, south of stl. I live in sedalia now; straight out 70 and down to 50. I am just getting started as well. But if you ever want to come out for a day you are more than welcome to.

Thanks a lot viral :thumbup:

I appreciate your offer and that is very kind of you Sir! I am not opposed to driving. Just looking at the map you are approximately about 2.5 hrs away from me. If I make it out that way it will most likely have to be on a weekend.

I know you said that you are just starting out, but I am wondering which way you are going or should I say how you are making your knives. Are you doing stock removal or are you forging?

PM DeSotoSky or M.Freez- they might be able to help.

Thanks Monofletch. I will see if I can get a hold of these guys. I will probably be upgrading to a paid subscription in the not to distant future so it should make contacting the members here a bit easier.

Thanks a lot viral :thumbup:

I appreciate your offer and that is very kind of you Sir! I am not opposed to driving. Just looking at the map you are approximately about 2.5 hrs away from me. If I make it out that way it will most likely have to be on a weekend.

I know you said that you are just starting out, but I am wondering which way you are going or should I say how you are making your knives. Are you doing stock removal or are you forging?

I did stock removal for a bit and I just got a forge, so I'll be going that route now. A guy about an hour south of me has been showing me a bit of forging and technique. Kitchen knives are what I'm going for.
Your welcome anytime as long as I'm home.

I did stock removal for a bit and I just got a forge, so I'll be going that route now. A guy about an hour south of me has been showing me a bit of forging and technique. Kitchen knives are what I'm going for.
Your welcome anytime as long as I'm home.

I wouldn't mind making a cleaver or chef's knife. A couple of paring knives would be cool too. It seems to me that the principles should apply across the board.

As far as you being home .... lol it would be pointless for me to be there without you. I can't learn anything from you if you're not there!

There is always a nice knife show in Saint Louis at the end of January, where you can meet up with several local makers. There's one in Bethalto, IL around this time of year as well, but it may be a littler farther drive for you.

Thanks possum. I will have to look into that for next year.

As a general rule of thumb I try to stay out of Illinois. I do venture over to GP Knives from time to time when I can afford it. I am also not opposed to going to a knife show in Illinois if it is worth the drive. Have you been to the Bethalto show before and if so, do you think it is worth the time?

Sounds like there are a lot more makers in Missouri than I realized! I would offer you an invite to check out my place, but I'm just getting started myself and if anything, I'd likely be the student!

I think it would be great to do some sort of meet up or hammer in or something for us Missouri folk one of these days, assuming we could get enough people together.

At any rate, best of luck to you!

Trust me. I doubt you would be the student lol.

A meet up would be awesome, but if there aren't any real knife makers who know the craft that would be willing to show n' tell, we would all most likely end up looking like a gaggle of kindergarteners at recess lol.

It would still be fun though :thumbup:

There is always a nice knife show in Saint Louis at the end of January, where you can meet up with several local makers. There's one in Bethalto, IL around this time of year as well, but it may be a littler farther drive for you.
^^^ This.

I started doin this show in 1995 when it was in St.Charles, it's now downtown STL at the Carpenters Hall. I haven't had a table there in a few years, but always go to look and visit. Most of the local makers are set up there.

^^^ This.

I started doin this show in 1995 when it was in St.Charles, it's now downtown STL at the Carpenters Hall. I haven't had a table there in a few years, but always go to look and visit. Most of the local makers are set up there.

Yea I didn't hear about it until too late for this year, but it is definitely on the agenda for next year.

I met the wonderful bill miller there. He lives in Warsaw, which is far from you fellas but just a hop skip from me. If you ever get the chance to visit bill, you will learn more than you could imagine. I got to his shop at 12, his forges we're going. We shook hands talked a minute and 12:05 he had me hammering steel. I watched him make dozens of billets of Damascus. Which is kind of crazy if you've never seen it before. This glowing yellow piece of steel squirting out flux. But he was willing to answer any question I asked and tried to show me how he does it. He made me make a piece of Damascus under his supervision before I left the last time. I'd be down to travel anywhere in the state for a hammer in or something.

Hey ThrottleMonkey, I'm in Saint Peters but I've only been at this about a year and a half. I'd be willing to help you if I can with my limited experience. I've met a few other local guys, but have only been invited to one shop. Definitely make it to the January show, it's great. Are you already making knives or just starting up?

I met the wonderful bill miller there. He lives in Warsaw, which is far from you fellas but just a hop skip from me. If you ever get the chance to visit bill, you will learn more than you could imagine. I got to his shop at 12, his forges we're going. We shook hands talked a minute and 12:05 he had me hammering steel. I watched him make dozens of billets of Damascus. Which is kind of crazy if you've never seen it before. This glowing yellow piece of steel squirting out flux. But he was willing to answer any question I asked and tried to show me how he does it. He made me make a piece of Damascus under his supervision before I left the last time. I'd be down to travel anywhere in the state for a hammer in or something.

That is a bit over a 3 hour drive for me and my travel funds are limited at the moment. Otherwise, I would most certainly travel for a day of education.

Hey ThrottleMonkey, I'm in Saint Peters but I've only been at this about a year and a half. I'd be willing to help you if I can with my limited experience. I've met a few other local guys, but have only been invited to one shop. Definitely make it to the January show, it's great. Are you already making knives or just starting up?

I would venture to say that at most you are maybe 15 minutes from me. I would definitely like to meet up to see what we could learn from one another.

I have started making some knives from old vintage American made files using the stock removal method. I have one that I have actually almost finished, but it most certainly is on the crude side and needs work to say the least. I haven't yet even begun to think about what type of sheaths I am going to make for them. Kydex seems to be the "easiest" option, but leather is still a possibility. I have a limited amount of time that I can spend trying to make knives at the moment, so I do what I can when I can.

We could meet at one of the Starbucks on Mid Rivers Drive if you are interested. Hit me up through my email: mmorris247@gmail.com

As a general rule of thumb I try to stay out of Illinois. I am also not opposed to going to a knife show in Illinois if it is worth the drive. Have you been to the Bethalto show before and if so, do you think it is worth the time?

I don't blame ya fer wantin' to stay outta this state. If I could pick up our family farm and move it to a state with a less stoopid government, I would. ;)

I have not been to the Bethalto show since like '96 or '97. As I recall, it was fairly small, but full of good folks and nice knives. I would assume there would be more Illinois makers represented there though, so I'm still betting your best chance to meet someone closer to you would be at the Saint Louis show.

There's also a Knife Expo at the fairgrounds in Belleville IL in the summer (in July I think?), that just got started in the past several years. I have not been able to make it over there myself yet, but have heard great things about that show, and plan to go this year.

I have not checked, but I believe that Bellville is closer. I will have to look that show up and see if I can find anything on it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Back