Any news on the Spydiechef's availability?

Been looking to purchase one for a while now. A majority of my knife work happens in the kitchen and frequently not my own kitchen. I like having the option to bring my own portable chef's knife and the Spydiechef would fit this role perfectly.

The problem is that it's very hard to find. It's sold out on all the major online stores, my local stores don't have them in stock (or never heard of it) and even Spyderco's website lists it as unavailable. I found one on Amazon for $515, which is way overpriced in my eyes, and the only other one I found listed on a forum sale was snatched up before I could comment on it.

Can anyone comment on whether this knife has been discontinued or when the new batch will be put out?

Is it discontinued?

I'm not sure. That's partly why I am asking. It's a good knife that a lot of people have as their all time favorite, but Spyderco does like to retire older models in order to put newer models on the production table. I'm hoping that isn't the case with this knife but it being "out of stock" on Spyderco's website and all other online stores does lead me to believe that it is a possibility.

One will generally come up for sale here every week or so.

Yeah, I just have to be quick enough to nab it. But I work 6 days a week at 10-12 hours a clip so I generally miss out on those forum sales. It's an option but not one that is really favorable with my work hours.

They’ll be back in stock soon enough. They’ve been hot little sellers, they will not be discontinued anytime soon I highly doubt. I’m assuming Spyderco didn’t assume these would be such popular knives so the initial runs may have been smaller, plus they have already done some CQI on the Chef.

The chef is a Taichung model, they generally make those in batches and not as many so that’s why they are inconsistent, I would look to the exchange.

$515 is beyond insane, it’s not discontinued it’s just hard to find right now.

Good luck! Add the Kapara, Smock, etc. etc. to the hard to find list of Spydercos.

The Kapara is also on my watch list. I love the look of the knife but at the same time I have other knives in my collection that already fulfill the same role (gentleman's show knife). It's up there but it's not #1 on my list at this time.

The smock just didn't appeal to me for some reason.

The chef is a Taichung model, they generally make those in batches and not as many so that’s why they are inconsistent, I would look to the exchange.

$515 is beyond insane, it’s not discontinued it’s just hard to find right now.

I kinda figured that it was a batch issue. I bought a khukuri from Tora blades a while back and when a khukuri isn't in stock it's because the batch order is full. I thought spyderco might be in a similar situation.

I don't know any specifications about the different factories but I imagine the taichung factory is one of the smaller operations. They're on par with the Golden Colorado factory but they don't seem to churn out as many knives.

And I agree about the $515 asking price. That's a 90% markup in price. I know collectors will go through great lengths to complete a collection but that much of a mark up is robbery.

I kind of blame Nick Shabazz for that one.

How's that? Nick clearly said in his video review of the knife that the Slyze Bowie is NOT worth $500 but people are still paying that much and more for one anyway. It's nuts!

Fortunately for me, my limit for buying any knife is $400 (including shipping and tax if any). So, there's no even an issue of my ever needing to consider whether to buy a Bowie, unless prices for them dropped dramatically which they should.

A knife that is worth buying IMO is the Nirvana, which is also better (or at least more interesting) IMO than the Bowie or the newly released Paysan. A Nirvana was recently offered on the exchange for $425 but I passed on it because it was over my limit.

It sold quickly thereafter.

Last edited:
How's that? Nick clearly said in his video review of the knife that the Slyze Bowie is NOT worth $500 but people are still paying that much and more for one anyway. It's nuts!

Fortunately for me, my limit for buying any knife is $400 (including shipping and tax if any). So, there's no even an issue of my ever needing to consider whether to buy a Bowie, unless prices for them dropped dramatically which they should.

A knife that is worth buying IMO is the Nirvana, which is also better (or at least more interesting) IMO than the Bowie or the newly released Paysan. A Nirvana was recently offered on the exchange for $425 but I passed on it because it was over my limit.

It sold quickly thereafter.

I guess blame was the wrong word to use. Influenced is more the word I should have used. Nick influenced a lot of the interest in that knife, either by putting it in the spotlight for people unaware of the knife or being that driving force for the people still on the fence about it.

He's not the reason for the flippers reselling it at an inflated price and I respect him for putting out that second video saying it's a good knife but not at that inflated price point. But I think if you ask any Slyz Bowie owners "did Nick make you buy this one?" A lot of them would admit he played a part in their purchase. That's what I meant by the initial comment, not "because Nick Shabazz I can't obtain that knife" because I got into the hobby after that video got put out.

But if you already own it, you should treasure it. It's a good knife and a grail knife for some. Both the Nirvana and the Paysan are great looking knives that I am interested in but well above my price point. My price point is $200 but I have some flexibility to reach over that. Just not often. I don't own an integral knife yet but at $520 and $430 respectively I just can't afford those price points.

I'm Sorry, but as great as the spydiechef is as an EDC. It is absolutely inadequate as a chef's knife. A simple cheap paring knife of equal blade length will outperform it.

As an EDC it works out perfect. If I need to cut a whopper in half and get mayonnaise in the pivot area. Don't care it won't hurt it. But as the person who cooks 80% of the meals in our house I use dedicated/designed kitchen knives.

Back