Any news on the Spydiechef's availability?

Update: Just heard back from Spyderco themselves and this is what they had to say:

(Spyderco's email) It's still in production, it just sells out within a couple weeks of receiving each batch.
We should have another batch in before the end of the year.

Update: Just heard back from Spyderco themselves and this is what they had to say:

(Spyderco's email) It's still in production, it just sells out within a couple weeks of receiving each batch.
We should have another batch in before the end of the year.

Wow, the end of the year is a ways off. Hopefully we see more than one batch before then.

A lot of hot hot hot models out of Taichung right now... I imagine these models will be available and then sold out in months long cycles for the foreseeable future.

They make a ton of knives for Cold Steel and others too. Great Spyderco still makes some knives here, wish there were more but understand the economic issues.

a friend of mine called Spyderco and was told by Candy that the Spydiechef is still in production. i placed my preorder/email notification with WhiteMountainKnives because they have the well-known 10% off coupon code and ship internationally at some 10 bucks so sweet.

I noticed that the blade has a thin blade stock to start with. This automatically means that the edge consumption thru 2097 sharpening sessions (measured in mm/yr) is faster than expected.

When we look at this untouched edge, there seems to be enough time to reach the ricasso (EOL):
snap1hujl7.png

But the knife was sent to Outpost76 when the resharpened edge did reach the EOL:

I am saying "EOL" because typically that's the point when the reasonable owner decides to either retire the model or sell it. Nobody in his right mind would continue resharpening this 335US$ knife once the edge has hit this ricasso! Nobody. Prove me wrong, i wanna see photos of the Spydiechef where the edge line is higher than the ricasso point, anybody's done that??

Considering the life expectancy of a 335USD blade before buying it is a real not a hypothetical consideration. The video has proven just that. Clearly, i enjoy sharpening and resharpening my blades, the more often the more joy. So i won't be buying the Spydiechef ymmv.

Is the lesson here not let someone learn how to use a power sharpener on your knife?

I guess if you sharpen it ever week it'll only last about 45 years? Could be tough for anyone in their right mind to prove you wrong as the model is only a few years old.

haha good response :D

no, the lesson here is that everyone who watched (studied) the video should be shocked and thus fully aware that blade consumption is an actual not only theoretical issue with this knife model. The edge of the knife unit from the video has clearly reached the ricasso point. How's that possible, since the knife model is only a few years old? Answer: Because that's reality.

I can't see ever reaching the ricasso through normal use/sharpening personally (haven't watched the video yet). But even if you did, why would that be EOL?? Granted, the handle could impact the heel making contact with a cutting board at that point, but the knife could still be sharpened and used.

Some knives come with a new edge inside the ricasso from the factory, such as the Sage below:

30301340510_3ea733e6c4_k.jpg

it is hard to argue if Spydiechef-supporters don't want to acknowledge my point. Of course, in theory, one could just continue sharpening (somehow) whatever is left on a knife as blade steel. Likewise i could also cut my cheese cake with the car key and be happier than the neighbor's grumpy cat.

Yes i agree, the collector and poser should not be worried in a lifetime about the potential issue of unexpectedly fast blade consumption. Having said that, i never resharpen my Vinox SAK blades. I also keep a user PM2 versus a collector's PM2. The PM2 blade invites repeated resharpenings without compromise, without losing its original character.

The original character of Spydiechef blade is that it has no full bolster. If you continue resharpening it after reaching the ricasso point, the blade becomes a non-chef blade and one would be forced to make up one's mind how to deal with the new situation:
Zwilling-J.A.-Henckels-Pro-vs.-Pro-S-differences.jpg

On my actual full bolster zwilling chef knife i don't mind blade consumption. But soon enough i really had to insert a sharpening notch, which i did. And after nearing the EOL of the sharpening notch, i had to take a decision: either cut a new sharpening notch or get rid of the annoying protruding bolster (ricasso) altogether and thus never have to deal with a sharpening notch again. As you can see, i got rid of it, thus creating a new chef knife character, namely more like the Spydiechef :p

image-20190908_120342x5kjq.jpg

Last edited:
haha good response :D

no, the lesson here is that everyone who watched (studied) the video should be shocked and thus fully aware that blade consumption is an actual not only theoretical issue with this knife model. The edge of the knife unit from the video has clearly reached the ricasso point. How's that possible, since the knife model is only a few years old? Answer: Because that's reality.

At this point I wouldn't waste any time on Outpost76 or his videos.

He's in the little club that started the "m390 iS tOo SoFT!!!" freakout a little while back. Then had to walk their claim all the way back.

Doesn't surprise me that he put a blade on the grinder till half the working edge was gone.

it is hard to argue if Spydiechef-supporters don't want to acknowledge my point. Of course, in theory, one could just continue sharpening (somehow) whatever is left on a knife as blade steel. Likewise i could also cut my cheese cake with the car key and be happier than the neighbor's grumpy cat.

Yes i agree, the collector and poser should not be worried in a lifetime about the potential issue of unexpectedly fast blade consumption. Having said that, i never resharpen my Vinox SAK blades. I also keep a user PM2 versus a collector's PM2. The PM2 blade invites repeated resharpenings without compromise, without losing its original character.

M390 too soft controversy so played out. Must start new steel too soft controversy.

Your source for the data is garbage.

Don't know what our friend K kreisler is arguing about. If anything, I see SpydieChief's blade will last longer than most other folders because its blade sticks much more out of ricasso.

Back on topic, what's the consensus on the next release of the spydiechef

Is the lesson here not let someone learn how to use a power sharpener on your knife?

I guess if you sharpen it ever week it'll only last about 45 years? Could be tough for anyone in their right mind to prove you wrong as the model is only a few years old.
You can also keep it hair popping sharp by setting a good edge and touching it up with about 5 ultra fine rod strokes each time, that should make the knife last longer than you.

Back