Any one know the history of these Colonial Forjado Knives?

These Knives are very heavy, the larger one weighs in at almost 3/4 of a pound. They look like butchers knives to me, but I can't get much info on the web!

So if anyone has any history on these knives I would love to hear it! Thanks

100_6111.JPG

100_6113.JPG

These Knives are very heavy, the larger one weighs in at almost 3/4 of a pound. They look like butchers knives to me, but I can't get much info on the web!

So if anyone has any history on these knives I would love to hear it! Thanks

100_6111.JPG

100_6113.JPG

appears to be Mexican made. I can't read anything without translating but I found a lot when I searched "cuchillos colonial forjado"
don't know if this helps but I hope so!

good luck

btw they look like camping knives more then kitchen knives to me

Look like butcher knives to me but hard to tell without knowing size. Looks like what we used to call a break knife for butchering.

I've saw that brand for sale in Mexico. Seemed to be copied off American Ontario Old Hickory patterns but I thought they were of better quality than the U.S made knives. I have a little 5-inch butcher knife made by them I bought in Guadalajara.

I bought a 7" butcher style version about 15 years ago in Ensenada, they are definitely Mexican. I always lightly oil the blade with whatever cooking oil is in the kitchen before storing, they do tend to rust otherwise. I use it primarily for picnics, camping, bbq.

I found this forum while searching for Colonial knifes for a friend that grew up in Acapulco, Mexico and used them when he worked at the local slaughter house as a teen. He says that they were the best they had to do their job back them. He tells me that the company was out of Mexico City and was owned by man that had immigrated from Spain to Mexico. Upon further searching, I found that the company no longer exist. After the founder died, his children closed or sold the company. It was relocated, not sure if the children or the new owners to Colombia in South America. There they continued with the same brand for some time and later changed the name to Serazu. Everything indicates that the quality is not the same as when they were made in Mexico. Therefor if you have a Colonial Forjado, I would keep it... From what I have seen there are comparable to a J. Russell Green River knife. Stamped Colonial and Serazu's are like Old Hickory's in quality.

Another Mexican knife to look out for is a Jamees. They were made in Monterrey, Mexico by an American blacksmith that established himself in the 1940's. Form what I head, they were made out of chevy spring leaves. I remember seeing them at hardware stores in North Eastern Mexico thru the 80's. My grandmother's brothers were ranchers and their Do-it-all knife was a 14" Jamees . They would use it to butcher a hog or a cow, as to cut fence posts and even barbwire and nails without leaving any marks in the edge. One of my cousins has one reserved for me that belonged to one of the uncles. The tricky part is bring it back to the U.S. with the drug was going on in the region.

I found this forum while searching for Colonial knifes for a friend that grew up in Acapulco, Mexico and used them when he worked at the local slaughter house as a teen. He says that they were the best they had to do their job back them. He tells me that the company was out of Mexico City and was owned by man that had immigrated from Spain to Mexico. Upon further searching, I found that the company no longer exist. After the founder died, his children closed or sold the company. It was relocated, not sure if the children or the new owners to Colombia in South America. There they continued with the same brand for some time and later changed the name to Serazu. Everything indicates that the quality is not the same as when they were made in Mexico. Therefor if you have a Colonial Forjado, I would keep it... From what I have seen there are comparable to a J. Russell Green River knife. Stamped Colonial and Serazu's are like Old Hickory's in quality.

Another Mexican knife to look out for is a Jamees. They were made in Monterrey, Mexico by an American blacksmith that established himself in the 1940's. Form what I head, they were made out of chevy spring leaves. I remember seeing them at hardware stores in North Eastern Mexico thru the 80's. My grandmother's brothers were ranchers and their Do-it-all knife was a 14" Jamees . They would use it to butcher a hog or a cow, as to cut fence posts and even barbwire and nails without leaving any marks in the edge. One of my cousins has one reserved for me that belonged to one of the uncles. The tricky part is bring it back to the U.S. with the drug was going on in the region.

I always wondered what the history of this old knife was. My Dad had brought it over from Mexico many many moons ago to put a new grip on it for my mom's sister. She passed away before he could take it back and it just kinda hung around here ever since. My dad passed away a year and change ago and i finally dug it out to try to put a decent edge on it.
27uIYBg.jpg
[/IMG]

I always wondered what the history of this old knife was. My Dad had brought it over from Mexico many many moons ago to put a new grip on it for my mom's sister. She passed away before he could take it back and it just kinda hung around here ever since. My dad passed away a year and change ago and i finally dug it out to try to put a decent edge on it.
27uIYBg.jpg
[/IMG]
I have a Jamees that belonged to my grandfather. Good to have been referred to this forum for more info on that knife. I will definitely check with my relatives in Old Mexico to see if they can find me one with less wear for my own use and keep my grandfather’s at our bbq shop for lighter purposes.

Back